Format for next WCQ South Africa 2010

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Pingudo, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What format would you prefer for 2010? 2 groups of 5, or a single group of 10? FIFA prefers the former, Conmebol prefers the latter. Of course in the 60s, 70s, and 80s most teams needed to play only 4 games to qualify. Nowadays it's a whopping 18 games! This of course, makes Ecuador's qualification even more impressive given the amount of games it has to play, plus Conmebol has the hardest WCQ group in the world!

2. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I heard they are still going to have the 18 games, but are going to have 6 "fechas" with 3 games each, instead of the 9 "fechas" with 2 games as the last two. I don't know if this idea will really fly tho.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like the current system.

4. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i also support the current system. If there would be "6 fechas" of 3 games each, the final standings would be biased. Teams could be on hot streaks, and injuries could come into play if they play 3 games in a week or two. For example Ecuador could be flying high and beat Peru, Argentina, and Venezuela.. or could be in a low point and lose all 3. Also if players are injured they would miss 3 games guaranteed. Keeping the system the way it is now makes sure that the consistent teams qualify and that is they way it should be.

5. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm all for the current system, but theres always the possibility of change.

6. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    Why try to fix something thats not broken??????

7. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    Ths's exactly what I'm saying

8. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    i think teh current format insures the best teams are going.