For your reading pleasure.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Jun 29, 2005.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great letters from FAS and Richard!! Way to go guys.

I got a response from the dweebie. Here it is:

What kind of moron is this?! He responded to my signature rather than the body of my letter. Is he brain dead? Here's my letter, which I now share for your amusement, hopefully.

2. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Hope you did not take it for face value.
    In corporate politics - it is simple "posturing" - applying pressure on "target"'s superiors.

While Messr. Hopkins might revel or even gloat over amount of outrage or hate mail he will receive in response to his "yellow" article, he will enjoy much less an asskicking he'd receive in Messr.'s Hamilton or Lie-weke offices over potentially lost revenue.
    Please remember to AEG (read MLS) we're not fans or even human - we're assets that should be maximized, in order to meet their revenue plans.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the Quakes would publish it on their website, if not, we could probably talk QuakeMagic into it. I bet Jeff Carlisle would go for it. Or Jay Hipps? Maybe? Heck, I'm going to have plenty of time on my hands starting Friday. I'll try to pull some of this together and see I can talk Jeff or Jay into publishing it somewhere.

And CCR wrote this:
    "Honestly, if Ramiro Corralles did the same thing, and said the same things, would we even care?"

Damn right we'd care! Maybe we wouldn't have gone quite so over the top, but we'd boo him every time he touched the ball, you know we would. A traitor is a traitor, plain and simple. Dunivant gets a pass because it was our choice to trade him. He'd have stayed otherwise. Landon gets extra grief because he is so good, but also because of all the stupid things he said in the press. He could have handled this much better. What a weasel.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

4. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Sounds like a CYA Corporate Douchebag, G-d am I happy not to breathe office air any longer!

Sounds, like he got "direction" not to irritate the "assets" any longer.

I wonder how gAlexi would prevent the atmosphere in the stadium - keep the endzones covered and sell less tickets; run around and whine "Now come down, come down!" ?

5. KatieMae

KatieMae New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those were great letters. I wrote one also but I can't copy here because it was filled with expletives...just kidding. I did make reference to Tino Palace's editorial on MLSnet:

"If someone can tell me when an MLS atmosphere for a regular season game looked better on television, I would love to hear it because that was one of the most wonderful displays in the 10 year history of the league. There was some question about how Donovan's return would be received by the Quakes fans and there was absolutely no doubt from the beginning.

From the booing every time Landon touched the ball, to the eye-catching amount of signs ripping their former golden boy to the folks organizing the pinata, I was frankly awed by the Spartan Stadium faithful. The atmosphere for that match was as fun as any regular season game I have seen on TV in a long while, in any league. Congrats to everyone at the match. Whatever happens with the San Jose franchise down the road, for me that match was the legacy of the wonderful soccer fans in the area."

I ended my note to Mr Hopkins that this writer understands soccer and he understands the SJ fans!!!!!!!!

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good work KatieMae!! That's showing him!

As for AH being told to be nice, I'd be surprised. I think he's just not up for arguing with fans. He's probably gotten a fair number of letters from San Jose fans telling him off already. Maybe he's just tired of responding?

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Good job, Quake fans: you made the Galaxy homer TV announcer cry. Well done indeed.

Joe Tutino, the Galaxy homer radio announcer checks in with this column, also on the Galaxy website:

8. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As much as I understand why you die-hard fans were quite happy to show your feelings on Saturday night, it's not a North American tradition is it?

Alan Hopkin's cites the example of Michael Jordan. I can't speak for the basketball fans but to use a hockey analogy (the only one I could find on the same scale), when Wayne Gretzky was traded to LA from Edmonton, he was not roundly booed on his return. Mind you, there is a bit of a difference as Wayne Gretzky was in tears on TV in Edmonton when the trade was announced. Landon was in a slightly different frame of mind over his move to LA.

Similarly, the average Cdn sports fan (not soccer fan) shrugs his shoulders and says 'why not?' when the issue of Owen Hargreaves choosing to play for England comes up. The die-hards call him a Judas traitor and much worse.

I guess I'm rambling somewhat but the Judas chants might be the norm in England but are a bit alien to our continental sport culture.

Certainly brought a buzz to the game on Saturday that is a bit rare in our modern sit-on-your-hands and be entertained by the Jumbotron day and age!

The bottom line is that unlike Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky, Landon Donovan CHOSE to leave his team and its fans; he did not retire or get traded away. I think Alan Hopkins missed the boat and Landon got his just rewards.

9. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I sent this off to him......

Allen Hopkins, you are what is wrong with MLS today......you don't know passion and soccer knowledge when you see it.

1.) Donovan did not single handedly give identity and MLS Cups to SJ and it's insulting that you think so. Yallop, Agoos, Ekelund, the return of Dayak and yes, even Lagos, had just as much, if not more, to do with it. Donovan did give us Lando-bimbos, which I cannot say the same for the others.

2.) Donovan hand-picked the Galaxy......he himself admits that. So what if the Earthquakes status was in jeopardy, that makes his departure and hasty return to LA, even worse. When he left to Germany, San Jose fans understood. We wished him well, down to the fan. When he returned to MLS' LA Galaxy, after two months of a half-hearted attemp in Bundesliga, he slapped the San Jose Fans and players in the face. A team fighting to stay in San Jose could have used him back here where he supposedly loved it so. Too bad the disarray made him so uncomfortable. How do you think it makes Ching, Mullan or guys like Robinson feel.....they love this team.....they scrap for this team. Donovan left this team to be close to his family and girlfriend....sure, it was his right, a right that few others have and even fewer would actually utilize. We, in turn have the right to let him know how we feel about his decision. It's called passion and 'Club Before Player' attitude.

3.) We are a bright and passionate crowd.....when Cerritos returned after he was traded, we showed our appreciation even though he was with another team. We have no ill will toward Agoos except that he is an opponent. Mulrooney at least went to the Earthquakes to ask for a trade even though that was a bit questionable, he was straight-up, Cannon left and tried to come back to San Jose. Donovan showed us that he doesn't want us.....we will continue to show him that we do not want him either.

4.) How is booing an accomplished National Team player and former Earthquake Star considered "the easy way out"? I think it was quite the contrary. It was a hard statement to make, but it was the right one.....believe that.

5.) To compare Donovan to Jordan, Beckham, Klinsman or even Shaq is silly. Beckham left to play in another country.....we never faulted Donovan when he did the same. Shaq was forced out, Donovan was not. Jordan, he played twice for the Bulls, tried the front office for the Wizards and in his twilight years, stepped on the court to help them.......Donovan's situation should be nearly so noble. "Donovan could be the greatest ever".....well hell, lets put LeBron, Vick, Dontrelle and Nash in their appropriate Halls Of Fame now.

6.) Alexi Lalas would not have stopped the passion last Saturday Night, no matter how classy you think he is.

7.) Sure Landon was hurt by the reception he received.....San Jose fans and players were hurt by his unloyal actions.......guess we're even......oh, and by the way, the San Jose players appreciated our 'Club Before Player' treatment of Donovan.....believe that too.

8.) "Real fans never forget championships or the players who helped win them"??? Is this your rule? Shouldn't that also include, "no matter how the badly the player turned his back on the club"?

Go ahead Mr Hopkins, criticize one of the most passionate fan displays in the history of MLS. Maybe we can turn MLS into WUSA......then you might be happy.....and jobless. In case you were wondering.....we will be booing him on his next visit also.

Sincerely, Loyal San Jose Earthquake Fan

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In corporate politics that just as ridiculous as the article. It wouldn't work. They'd see right straight through your posture even if you were standing in front of them blocking out the sun.

11. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you said, plus:

- Landon went to our hated rival, not just any other team.

- The Earthquakes existence is on the line

- The Earthquakes are being screwed by their owner in a business decision to promote LA and let SJ rot.

- Landon/MLS/AEG all pretended publicly that he was going to Europe for a long, long time, when very clearly this move was in the works from the get-go. Not to sound paranoid, but I would bet it was 80+% a done deal before he even left the Quakes.

- Instead of admitting that these new player rights rules were designed in order to move Landon to LA, AEG/MLS/Landon have pretended that their hands were tied and that they didn't have anything to do with it when that is obviously a load of bull and they made up these rules in order to move Landon without owing anything to SJ.

- Allen Hopkins is a whiny dickweed and a sore loser.

- What else am I forgetting?

12. The Wee Man

The Wee Man New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    San Jose

13. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, how sweeeeeet it is!

14. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Man, I nearly choked about your comment, Mr. Moore :D

Wasn't that the truth though? Man, those own goals were just beautiful to watch! I was in pure hysterics after the 2nd one came :D

15. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Allen Hopkins' response to my e-mail......

"Thanks for the email, always great to hear from real fans like yourself.

Take care.

Allen Hopkins" :rolleyes:

16. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    He couldn't be bothered, I'm sure. I wonder if he even read the barage of e-mails he got?

17. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He tanked the opportunity of a lifetime, a chance any of us would give the world for, in order to accomplish the above. He dishonored U.S. soccer so that he could hang out in his hottub.

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Yes....by referring to me as a "real" fan he contradicts his column where he referred to us as....well....not real fans. :rolleyes:

19. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for your kind comments about my e-mail guys:-

Here is my response from Hopkins:

Great email and you are certainly right on.

Take care and all the best,

Allen Hopkins

-Richard

20. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

So he agrees he is a dumbass..... :rolleyes:

21. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    :mad: I never got a reply to mine, i must've rubbed him the wrong way when I asked what he had done in the game :confused:

22. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was in Hawaii, I missed the Dallas game on May 14 (I think) but the following Wednesday, lying on my bed under the ceiling fan, I had the pleasure of watching the Galaxy broadcast of the LA/SLC game on tape delay.

One of the announcers was Bretos. The other, I guess was Hopkins.

Without a doubt, the two biggest idiots ever to grace the broadcast booth.

(We are soooooo lucky to have Schrader and Hudson. If we still have Hudson...)

Still, watching LA choke and lose to RSL while all the while listening to the two idiots talk about how it was a game between 'one of the league's best and one the league's worst' (my paraphrase) was priceless.

Let me paraphrase again -- 'Realistically, RSL has no hope of winning today.'

Realistically, Bretos and Hopkins are grade-A asses.

23. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Hopkins is SUCH a homer/tool. By this comparison, I guess "Hoppy" must be angling to become the MLS' Ahmad Rashad.

"Real fans never forget championships or the players who helped win them. So San Jose, when you are without a team next season and are forced to reminisce about the good ol' times, the championships days, remember Landon and remember "much respect due!"

Yeah, yeah, Allen......but ya know what would be funny?!? Imagine if this no talent bunch of ingrates from up North continue their consistent, team-oriented (read: Landonless) brand of soccer and carried their success all the way through to another MLS Cup?!? To think, the step-children that the MLS loves to kick might rise up and ruin another league-sanctioned party at a brand new jewel of an SSS--just like the party in 2003 to which San Jose's invitation was supposed to be conveniently lost (and whose coming out party was that supposed to be at HDC?) If that were to happen, o learned analyst, do you suppose MLS would still move a team that had won 3 titles in 5 years???...move them from a site that has produces some of THE most memorable games in the league's history?

Don't worry, AH (could stand for Allen Hopkins...could stand for something more anatomical)...we in SJ don't forget championships or the players who helped us achieve them. Similarly, we don't forget those who go along with an underhanded plan that disses us in the most unkind way. But I'm glad to see that Landon is "happy" winning at home and losing on the road....whatever floats his yacht.

Don't know why I go on though. After all, what else should I expect from an LA tool that resides in the LA Toolbox?

24. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    LMAO, this thread is great. A. Ho. needs to read this thread for a few lessons on how to write.

And is it any wonder that Fox Soccer Channel shows infomercials 12 hours out of the day? Who wouldn't when the alternative is listening to this guy?

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching that game.

Their schtick throughout the telecast was basically that Real Salt Lake didn't deserve to be on the same field as the Mighty All-Conquering Los Angeles Galaxy. Needless to say, it was fun watching them go down in flames.

On the satellite, if I have the opportunity to TiVo the other team's broadcast rather than TiVoing Bretos and Hopkins on the LA broadcast, I'll take the other team every time. If I were an LA fan, I'd be embarassed that they were the TV voices of my team.

And yet, they're not the worst TV team in the league. That honor belongs to their roommates at the Home Depot Center, who employs the incompetent Christian Miles as their play-by-play man. How bad are Messrs. Bretos, Hopkins, and Miles? On the Rapids broadcasts on Altitude, the play-by-play is handled by Mike Haynes, who is better known as the voice of the Colorado Avalanche. Yes, a hockey announcer. And yet, he is less insufferable than the dweebs calling games for the Gals and the Goats.