For your amusement: An MLS Weighted Lottery!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Lowecifer, Aug 12, 2002.

1. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    That will be quite a feat because NY doesn't have a team. If you are referring to that abomination of a team, that plays across the river, they are properly called NEW JERSEY Metroscum (Metrodonkey's is also appropriate).

But yes, the Metroscum will get Eskadarian as well...It's be in return for a) Clint Mathis getting injured b) Tab Ramos' ghost getting injured c) because they are a 'big market' team with low attendance or d) because we all know that New Jersey fans threatened to make Garber live in Bergen (sp?) County if he did not give them everything they want!

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    It goes without saying that my scenerio, above, is almost positively, 100% wrong. I'm just wondering what Hudson and Kaspar are doing creating an open roster slot. Why do that now? Why aggrivate Namoff and Ludwig now if nothing is up? Just a really boring day at the office? When does the other shoe drop?

3. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Is it worth bringing in a "big time" SI for what's left of this year and create a salary cap problem next year?

Or do you just stand pat, knowing this team isn't going to win a championship and build for next year?

4. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--

Make Don Garber move his house a few miles north from Upper Montclair (Essex County) to Bergen County? Bergen County is quite fancy, but Upper Montclair is just fine.

By the way, Bergen County has done just fine for Alecko Eskandarian, who grew up and has his permanent residence in the well-off, leafy borough of Montvale, and who went to Bergen Catholic HS. His father, Andranik Eskandarian, of course, is a legend around these parts, having played for the Cosmos for years. Metros supporters know him well from Birkenmeier's in Hackensack, and there is in fact an interview with Eskie in issue 2 of the Metros fanzine The Stars and Beyond.

So I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Alecko would prefer to play for his local team, in the stadium where his father played, in such a horrible place as Bergen County.

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Good points Haig.

Frankly if there are any more "lotteries" then I bet it is Alex Yi and that he goes either to LA or San Jose.

BTW, isn't it great that the two teams in need of an Investor/Operator (SJ sorta needs one) are both at the top of the table? It's a good time to sell, hopefully someone takes a turn at MLS.

-Tron

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    1st of all, the Metros hardly win all of these lotteries. They have won 2. DJ Countess, who they didn't need at all at the time (and whose placement with the Metros guaranteed he wouldn't play) and this one for Akwari.

2nd off- teams routinely skip these, and it wouldn't surprise me if DC was one of them this time around. There is nothing wrong with DC's defense, so no need to go fishing there, and Hudson doesn't usually go after young players.

Finally, 2 specific weighted ries had the appearance of being rigged in order to give another team trade bait to get a Metros player. SJ, who coveted Ramiro Coralles (now a starter on the leagues best team) "won" the rights to Paul Grafer, who the Metros were about to sign after he went undrafted. This season, Winston Griffiths went from being a routine discovery pick to a player so the league could put him in Dallas to pull Countess to a team where he would see playing time.

I know the whole rivalry thing tints some peoples glasses, but this really isn't a big deal. Nobody knows how Akwari will do in MLS. The reviews of the U-23's defense haven't been stellar, and the only defender from that team to join the league, Seth Trembly, hasn't exactly been inspirational. Or maybe some DC fans would prefer we went back to the days when the best P-40's were handed to United.

JMac