For first time ever..

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by Henchag, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ...There wont be in the WORLD CUP Final any of Germany,Italy, Brazil or Argentina.

Football has evolved

2. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Cool story Hansel

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting fact, but in the end the final features the top 2 powerhouses that were waiting on the line to enter the small club of World Cup champions. It's still a very selective, difficult tournament, and the fact that it's never a total 'outsider' who wins it helps to make the World Cup so prestigious.

4. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Football has evolved because teams who, for the most part, consistently play well aren't participating in the final?

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True. And Spain is the first new finalist since the Netherlands in 1974. But these are two old powers with a history of putting together great teams, that for various reasons fell short in the past. Whoever wins was long overdue.

I guess by evolved you mean that there are new world powers. If so, then I disagree. When, for example, Ivory Coast plays South Korea in a final, you can tell me that football has evolved.

6. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You forgot France in WC1998. They have never been in a final before, but then again they were already an old powerhouse.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good point, I forgot about France. For some reason I thought they'd been in one of the early finals, but they haven't.

8. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    It is interesting that the big teams always seem to make the finals, but it is not unusual to have smaller clubs in the semi-finals. It is only one game difference and with such a small sample size you would expect eventually for one outsider to break through.

I generally kind of think that once a club has made the semi-finals they have proven, maybe not that they are the best club, but that they are a good club and one that with a little luck could win the whole thing. Just hasn't happened, though.

Are clubs like Turkey and South Korea (2002) and Uruguay this year (although not an outsider their time as a big team has clearly passed) not good enough or is it just a sample size problem and at some point an outsider will break though? I tend to think the latter.

9. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Agreed.

10. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Futbol certaintly has evolved in Spain.. They did put good teams teams in the past but they were never this good..
    My prediction was always Brazil vs Spain in the final .. I got 50%..