Foote Passes On

Discussion in 'Books' started by IntheNet, Jun 28, 2005.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Civil War Authority Shelby Foote dead
    Writer became famous for history of conflict, Burns documentary
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/06/28/obit.foote.ap/index.html
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005; Posted: 2:21 p.m. EDT (18:21 GMT)
    MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AP) -- Novelist and historian Shelby Foote, whose Southern storyteller's touch inspired millions to read his multi-volume work on the Civil War, has died. He was 88. Foote died Monday night, his widow, Gwyn, said Tuesday. Foote, a Mississippi native and longtime Memphis resident, wrote six novels but is best remembered for his three-volume, 3,000-page history of the Civil War..."

~

I heard Mr. Foote speak in person at a lecture; he knew so much about the war one would assume he was there in person. he had a unique way of making it all so easy to understand. A Southern Gentleman and a Scholar; he's gone on to that great battlefield... I wish him well! Thanks Shelby!

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded. I know him best through his appearances in the Burns films on the war. Sorry to hear he's gone.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's a drag. I took a Civil War course in college and a lot of his work was used in the course.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His 3 volume account of the Civil War reads like a novel instead of history....beautifully written.