Football Markings

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by burning247, Aug 24, 2002.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was just watching some of the goals scored on New England in the Hit Parade on mlsnet, and I realized that their new stadium has fooball markings on it, and since the MLS Cup will be hosted there, does that mean we're gonna have our championship game on a Football marked field? That would suck.

2. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I am sure that the grounds crew at Foxboro will try to remove the lines for the Cup. For all other games though, don't bet your luck.

3. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    The Patriots played there the night before. So, there wasn't enough time to take off the markings. I am used to seeing the football markings, so it really doesn't bother me. Besides, I wouldn't mind reffing on such field. It's much easier marking 10 yards.

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the other Cup finals at Foxboro they have done a good job eliminating the lines.....

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody else see how terrible Mile High looked for today's Quakes-Rapids games with the football stripes? TERRIBLE!!! Terrible Terrible Terrible.

6. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Too bad they couldn't do anything for the 10 yard wide dirt trench in the middle of field for MLS Cup 99'....

The Patriot's last home game is on October 13th which should give the field crew plenty of time to eliminate the lines and pretty it up for MLS Cup on the 20th....

Why they couldn't have the game on the 27th (a bye week for the Pats) and given themselves an extra week to play with is beyond me...

7. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    CONGRATULATIONS!!

You've just posted the 1,000,000th "Football Lines Suck" thread! We'll be sending the prize patrol by your house with your novelty oversized check and year's supply of BocaBurgers!

8. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Auto-Response to Lines on Field Post:

When MLS can either 1) Field all of it's teams in their own stadiums or 2) Tell the NFL to "suck it", you will cease to see football lines on soccer fields.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Everyone chill I was talking about the Championship game. I mean it's bad enough we have to play on that crap (well Dallas usually doesn't) every week, but I think it would be really queer if we have our Championship game on football markings. But you're right, we're in the U.S. we just have to bite our lip and take it up the butt till we get our own stadiums. Thank your for answering my question those of you who did.

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugly, yes, but it could've been much uglier. Invesco had all the football lines, but it at least didn't have colored end zones and the various NFL-related logos on the field. I don't know how it'll look this year, but in previous years the Rose Bowl field had all the UCLA markings and colored end zones. In comparison, Invesco didn't look so bad.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invesco wasn't that bad, in my opinion. However, it seemed as though the length of the turf made players slip and slide all over the place.

However, the jury will be out for the upcoming September 1st match against Dallas. The problem being that the big in state rivalry between Colorado State University and the CU Buttalos will be the night before. So the sides of the pitch will most likely be trashed from the players standing five yards in on both sides all game long.

Maybe this why the Rapids have tried to play down the middle so much, just prepping for the other football season to begin? Shrewd move Hankinson.

12. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blah, blah, blah...how bout you get out there and try gettin that ish off the field? I don't think it's as easy as you want it to be.

13. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    well, maybe that Patriots/Denver Broncos game @ Foxboro on the 27th would be a conflict with your plan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/sched.html

the bye week is the MLS Cup weekend.

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    did anyone else think this post was nothing but whining?

whining!!! whining whining whining.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you saying you thought the field looked good?

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I'm saying that I've got better things to do with my life than whine because of the horror of watching soccer on a football field.

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but whining about other people's posts is a good use of your time? get over yourself.

18. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    lets just be glad that no MLS teams have to play on dirt baseball infields like some NFL teams have to do, when will NFL teams get the respect they diserve and get nice fields with no baseball markings