Football Manager, Part I

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The Potter, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Football Manager

I just got WSM. Does anyone know how to work the editor? I couldn't figure out how to confirm any changes or save anything. I wanted to increase the reputations of the MLS sides to see if it may impact what types of players they may attract (albeit they're limited anyhow due to small budgets).

Also wanted to see if I could change the name of a team or a player to "put myself into the game"

Thanks!

2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Real problems with training/fitness.

Question, need some help.

My guys are getting tired way too quickly, and don't recover quickly enough between games to get back to 100% fitness.

Any advice would be appreciated.

3. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Real problems with training/fitness.

I've dealt with this in the past at the end of my first season in a job, with what seem to be good results. In the first season you can't do much except rotate the squad as much as you can -- though I've never tried doing fitness work (sprints, etc.) during the season. Beginning in my first close-season with the club (i.e., end of the first season) I start about the first week of June putting everybody on a fitness training schedule -- nothing but cross country, sprints and weight training (the latter 3 times per week, in an attempt at some realism), with an occasional technique session thrown in, for about 4 weeks. It's seems to help, as the next season everybody seems to get through matches without going below about 75%. Not sure if it's had any impact on injuries, though the game suggests that weight training should help in that regard.

Now in my current game I haven't done that the last couple of seasons, as I've seen it suggested that you need to give everybody at least 4-6 weeks rest. My guys are getting real tired, and it's only October. I've got good players who are playing a match, and only getting back to 85% by the next one, and it says "Very Tired" in the fitness space on their profile. So I'm not sure I buy the idea of giving them that rest. Anybody else got different experience?

4. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I was having problems too. It's a little confusing, something's I can't change and some I can but it doesn't matter because I can't find anything to save my changes. I was trying to make it so that Duff and Robben can play both L and R.

5. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    Re: Real problems with training/fitness.

Short term solutions
    1) Tactically, reduce the amount your tired players are performing "Closing Down"; sure, the pressure they apply defensively is good, but if it knackers 'em, then, in the big picture, that's not good.
    2) In training during the season, reduce the amount of training sessions they do. Make sure none of the traning category bars cross the dotted line, or else you're "over-training" the players, which makes it more difficult for your players to recover between matches.
    3) In "Manager Options", make sure "Train on Match Day" isn't checked and "Rest Players Day After Match" is checked.

Long term solution
    Use training sessions during the off-season to increase Stamina attribute. Cross Country and Sprints do these best. But TheImposter is also right; after the end of the season, give your players a 4-6 week break prior to putting them through the off-season fitness training.

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You should also look at lowering the tempo to keep player's condition higher during the match. A common mistake is to think that you need a high tempo while attacking and this can wipe out squads with dodgy fitness.

How big is your squad? I've found that more squad rotation is necessary with FM than some previous games.

Have you added european competition? If so you'll almost certainly need to rethink your training and squad rotation from the previous season. This is especially a problem for teams that are lower in the european competitions since you'll be playing more often and earlier than other teams. The Intertoto is particularly nasty in this respect.

Most prematch condition issues are really training issues. Are you rotating training? Keeping players on high intensity training constantly is a really bad idea. I rotate between higher and low intensity training every couple of weeks. This keeps all my players at top condition (except injuries) while also increasing their stats much better than the default or even constant high intensity training.

7. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ

Using Reading with a pretty big squad...mid to high-20's, took three guys on loan and bought a couple w/o selling.

How do you change the "intensity" of training?

8. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is something I'd never considered before, but sounds like a good idea. Do you just drop a few modules so that there's more rest time, or do you change the focus of training? Are you using different training regimens for defenders, midfielders and attackers?

9. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.

Either

1) Change a high-intensity training session (e.g., 5-a-side large pitch, sprints) to a lower-intensity training session (e.g., 5-a-side small pitch, crosses), or

2) Remove a session completely (i.e., choose to rest).

10. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worldwide Soccer Manager Editor problem

Hey, I found the solution on the sigams discussion board.
    My version is worldwide soccer manager. What I had to do in the editor was go to preferences, and change the langues from English (US) to simply English (no idea why there are two language options for English!

Anyway, once I did that and confirmed my preferences, all of the menus on the horizontal tool bar seemed to work (originally the Edit drop down menu was greyed out and not accessible), so I could save my database. Hope that helps somebody with similar problems.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: Worldwide Soccer Manager Editor problem

AHA!! I have Worldwide Soccer Manager too! That's it then. I'll try it tonight. Thanks!

12. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I have been playing with Nottingham Forest for almost a full season. I started terribly but have played well enough recently that I'm going to surely not be relegated. Thanks to everyone on the tips for offseason training, and I plan to actively seek out transfers during that time.

However, I'm getting frustrated because for some reason I can't sell any of my players. I have been able to transfer in about 8 players, and the board has been pretty lenient with my transfer choices. However, I have transfer listed at least 20 players and only one has even gotten any interest. Some of the guys arent bad at all.

I've had to reduce my wage bill by letting several guys go on a free. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm playing with a large database, and am starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong or whether most of the transfer action happens during the offseason.

Any tips on selling players and when to do so would be really helpful. Thanks.

13. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX

Can someone give a detailed description of where you go to select these options? I've looked, but can't seem to find "manager options", so I'm left re-arranging my training every week to make sure I'm not training on match days.

I'm only at the winter-break of my first season, so take this with a grain of salt. For my in-season training, in addition to resting on match days and the day after, I give the first team squad rest in all afternoon sessions except two days a week. So in a 'normal' Saturday to Saturday match schedule, we'll:
    Rest Sunday
    Train early morning (em), mid morning (mm), and afternoon (an) on Monday
    Train em and mm and rest an on Tuesday
    Train em, mm, and an on Wednesday
    Train em, mm and rest an on Thursday
    Train em, mm and rest an on Friday
    Rest Saturday

At this point (winter-break), I've had pretty good fitness and generally my starters are at 98/99 condition by the next match. I do have a bit of trouble with a couple of older players in my side that tend to get down to the low 50s if they play a full 90, and most of my squad finishes in the low 60s for a full 90. I think that is (at least partially) because I didn't get enough preseason conditioning in - taking over in July. As I said, this is my first run through the game, so things may go sour later in the season, but right now, I'm very happy with squad conditioning.
    (Oh, and I'm currently sitting top of the table - tied for top on points, first on goal differential. :D)

14. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have you set them as "not needed"? This seems to increase the number of offers and makes it more likely that your player will actually accept the other team's contract offer. Otherwise you can get the "player won't leave unless they are told that they are no longer needed" message.

Have you set a price for them in the transfer screen? Again this should increase the number of offers. You also will have to accept that unless you are selling a great player you should not expect to make a great deal over their listed value. Great players can be sold at a hefty premium (I've gotten up to 4-5 times their value for good players and more for superstars) but average players will go for about their value, lower quality players will never get bought for their listed value and have to be discounted, and completely unproven, old, young, or generally useless players won't get almost any interest above a price of 0-10k. You are probably overpricing the players. One good tactic is to lower the price a few times until you get a couple of interested clubs. You can then either accept their offers or slowly increase the price during negotiations. The latter option can work well or get them to cancel the whole deal so beware. You must also consider the type of club making offers. You can gouge the Chelsea and other rich clubs (use the job screen to get a feel for club's wealth) but many second level clubs have really limited funds and the bottom clubs have nothing.

Have you given the players a few run outs so that teams could see what they're buying? A player with zero appearances will usually get zero offers even if they are fairly good. I use reserves, friendlies, and some cup matches to give transfer listed players a few run outs. I find that the offers start coming in shortly after these games even if they don't do very well.

Finally you can also offer the players to clubs but this will hit their morale, can lower your loyalty rating, and anger other players so use this option with care. However, it is the quickest way to get a couple of offers for the player. Read the replies. Anyone that says something like, "Club X doesn't think that the deal represents a good value for the quality of player" means that the club is interested but your price just needs to be lowered.

15. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Cannon thanks for this. I do have a lot of them playing in the reserves, and many come on as subs. Also, I have listed them "below price", some of them as much as 200K below what the game indicates is their value. What I need to change is the not needed. Thanks for the tips!

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

re: players getting tired too easily

phase cross country out of the training regimen right before you hit the first schedule glut of matches - phase weight training out after preseason and add them back in for a couple weeks near midseason (especially if your league has a break)

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

training: when you look at your first team - its on the left hand side of the screen... click on Training. Then schedules. If you click on the various options - you can change them as needed. Once the season starts - no more sprints or cross-country running....unless you have a long break.

---
    Can you use the editor once you have started a game?

18. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anybody else find their players get called up for international games during the MLS playoffs. The first time I played in the championship without 6 starters, kinda sucked if you know what i mean.

And how do you keep teams from repeatedly asking to buy your players? It gets old clicking decline 20 times in a row.

19. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I've been having problems signing non-EU players in the game, and my work applications keep getting denied. I always appeal however, and it never works out. Anyone know how an appeal might be successful?

20. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Try clicking one of the options, such as do not want to sell to a rival club. I've gotten about 30 offers (half of them literally no money, no draft picks and no players!) for David Stokes. Sometimes I even get three players offered in return for Stokes. But recently I've been checking the rival or not a team in the same league option and that has reduced the offers.

You also can go into the player's profile and set their transfer status to not available. However, that did nothing to reduce the offers.

21. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've never had an appeal be successful. I don't even bother any more. I wish I knew the work permit rules. In my current game I've wanted Javier Mascherano for years, but scouts always say he's unlikely to get a work permit, even though he's no longer a young player and he's got tons of caps.

22. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I won an appeal for Freddy Adu on my first attempt at an appeal. Since then I've never won one.

23. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I won an appeal to sign myself (created player....but I could speak like 7 languages).
    My scouts returned after I had signed myself to say it was unlikely to get a work permit to sign myself.

An attempt to sign Riquelme was denied initially, too, but the appeal also approved.
    It's early days playing this new version of the game for me, however, and the only other player I've signed was Cavenaghi...but there was not work permit issue with him.

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just got the game yesterday. The interface is great, better than CM4. Additionally the speed seems much improved. I'm getting used to all of the controls and navigation.

I started a game as the USA manager. We're in the middle of 2006 qualifying. In three games I have 12 goals and none scored on Friedel.

Love It!

25. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

I need this game now!!!!!!!! I order it on like the 6th, it shipped on the 11th, and was supposed to arrive in 4-6 business days, i.e. yesterday!!!

i need to play this game. hopefully it comes today and I can play it all weekend.