Football in the UK and Ireland season 2021/22

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Jun 26, 2021.

1. tjabba92

tjabba92 Member

Arsenal
    Sweden
    Jan 12, 2022
    Does that mean you are counting Arsenal out of the top three then?

2. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My predictions will be:
    1st- Chelsea
    2nd- Arsenal
    3rd- United
    4th- City
    5th- Reading/Spurs

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And the FA has acknowledge that the referee eff up in the Birmingham v Leicester game. It should have been a penalty and yellow card.

1-0 down with 11 players or 1-0 down with 10 players is not the same. And Ramsey could have saved the penalty too. Birmingham are five points behind Leicester and might not recover from this.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Matchday 15 out of 22

Fri Chelsea v Arsenal
    Sun Man City v Man Utd, Everton v Aston Villa, Leicester v West Ham, Brighton v Reading, Birmingham v Tottenham

We will have a good indication where the title will land by Sunday evening.
    Champions League places might go to the final day.

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I think the two WSL Chelsea-Arsenal matches this season have shown the merits of VAR. Mead's second goal in the first match would have easily been ruled out for offside with VAR, and I think VAR easily would have given Chelsea a PK today on Williamson's handball. If Arsenal end up winning the title this season, refereeing will arguably be their MVP; that's maybe a six point swing in their favor thanks to incorrect decisions. (The refereeing on Shaw's goal doesn't balance things out.)

6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    0-0?! I thought there'd be goals aplenty.

Chelsea 0-0 Arsenal: WSL's top two end goalless despite late drama - (BBC Sport)
    'Hayes said a draw with their London rivals was a fair result, although she felt her team were not at their usual attacking best.
    "The accumulation of games showed in us tonight. I didn't think we were free-flowing by our standards going forward, but we were rock-solid defensively," she said.'

Ere's your table, guv

Barclays FA Women's Super League @BarclaysFAWSL · 11 Nov
    It's tight at the ⬆️TOP of the #BarclaysFAWSL
    The current standings ⤵️
    [​IMG]

Barclays FA Women's Super League @BarclaysFAWSL · 11 Nov
    Always shining in the midfield. @kimlittle1990 is the London Derby Player of the Match ⭐️
    [​IMG]

tjabba92 and blissett repped this.
  7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Miedema indeed played the 10 last night for Arsenal--and I'm not a fan of it. Can she play that poisition? Yea, she can play it pretty well--but then you've taken the best goal-scorer in the league away from goal! I like Blackstenius, but she missed a wide open header in the first half. My view is that if you have to make Miedema an attacking midfielder, because she's not gotten enough touches or service in her normal CF role for a long time, then you are not getting enough attacking verve out of your midfielders, which is most definitely the case. So you gain a little and lose a little--and at the end of the day Arsenal did not score.

sbahnhof repped this.
  8. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Marc Skinner said the ball fell fortunately to Weir on her goal, and Zelem said United didn't deserve to win but asked if they deserved to lose. I think both already wiped that first half and Park hitting the post from their memory.

It's hard to criticize Earps on any of Weir's three wordlies against her, but is there any other keeper she's routinely beaten like that from range? It's like how people talked about a lot of players having the confidence to shoot from range against Arrizabalaga during his poor form. It seems like Weir thinks she can try and pull off anything against Earps.

I'm just speechless on how Zelem completes full 90s week in and week out for United, and while it may be an unpopular opinion, I don't understand Skinner's unwillingness to sub out Toone as well when she's not playing well. I thought Ladd was better today compared to her Conti Cup and league matches vs Arsenal, but today was more evidence that United can be repeatedly exposed and played through with Ladd playing at DM. Groenen was one of the subs and didn't play a single minute today; I just didn't understand Skinner today at all.

I didn't think Caldwell and Thorisdottir were that great, but Batlle and Blundell struggled more, notably Batlle vs Hemp in the first half. Russo was probably my POTM with her work effort on defense. I was excited about the Bruun signing, but Chelsea, Arsenal, and City as her first three opponents did her no favors. She has to face City again after the international break, but I think she'll be expected to impact more from Leicester onward.

9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    How much did ManU miss Galton today? And what does ManU need to take the next step?

10. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Unless the Galton that shows up whenever she plays Birmingham had showed up today, I honestly don't think they really missed her. I don't think she would have made much impact at all in curbing City's persistent attack, and Galton's been largely inconsistent offensively in my opinion this season.

Your second question is a tough one. I honestly think a Ladd-Groenen-Boe Risa midfield in the long run is good enough for United to take the next step; however, two obstacles there are Skinner's preference for Zelem and Groenen looking likely to leave this summer. Out of the forwards, I think only Russo has shown consistent top 3 quality so far this season; that's a bit of a weak point compared to the big 3. Batlle was poor today, but I think she is a top quality full back. Turner and Mannion in top form are very good; it's just a matter of consistency there for me. Same with Blundell. I think Earps is a top 3 level keeper; Weir just seems to completely have her number. So, the biggest thing United are missing in my opinion is top quality wingers; then, they need more consistent performances from their backline and/or new recruits that are more consistent. Without the attraction of UWCL football though, that's not an easy task by any means. Of course, there's also the question of whether Skinner's a good enough manager to lead United to the next step. I have my doubts, but he still has some time on his side.

sbahnhof and L'orange repped this.
  11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] WSL: All of Sunday's action is up (FA Player, sign-in needed)

Manchester City v Manchester United | Full Match | Barclays FA WSL
    [​IMG]

Birmingham City v Tottenham Hotspur | Full Match
    [​IMG]

Everton v Aston Villa | Full Match
    [​IMG]

Leicester City v West Ham United | Full Match
    [​IMG]

Brighton & Hove Albion v Reading | Full Match
    [​IMG]

Those being the last games before England host the Arthur Lowe Trophy or whatever it's called.

[​IMG] Scotland could really have a new champion this time. The title last changed hands in 2007/08(!), when Glasgow City's unbelievable run of 14 began, but this season, the SWPL title is falling into Rangers' hands.

The big news in the early weeks was outside the top 3, when the Edinburgh derby at Easter Road, won by Hibernian, got a crowd of over 5,000 for the first time. That street is also the likely place where organized women's football began, in 1881.

Hibs were aiming to win the Scottish league cup for the 6th time in a row, but Celtic overcame them in the semis and won the SWPL Cup final over Glasgow City at Firhill, taking the first trophy of 2021/22, and Celtic Women's first trophy since 2010.

Glasgow City 0 - 1 Celtic - (Caitlin Hayes 26')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoLFh_31MMc&t=16s
    [​IMG]

- Match report: BBC Sport

In the Scottish league season, the first title-heavyweight matches ended as draws, but Rangers swung the odds in their favour with two derby wins: first 1-0 at Celtic with a superb lob by Jane Ross (who signed from Man Utd in July); then, the game against Glasgow City last week:

Rangers 3 - 1 Glasgow City
    Lizzie Arnot 14', Niamh Farrelly OG 35', Jane Ross 76' / Clare Shine 85'
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=phM25rmky6E

The Gers effectively lead the league by 5 points, but there's still plenty of football to go. They play City again on 8 May, and it'll be Celtic v Rangers to end the season! The rise of those two, a sign of the times in women's football? This week, City beat the Celts 2-0 to stay in touch, and Celtic knocked Rangers out of the historic Scottish Women's Cup, now in its 50th season.

[​IMG]

Ethan Frank and blissett repped this.
  12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yea, Groenen seems to have fallen out of favor with Skinner. Be interesting to see where she and Miedema, among others, end up next year. Agree that ManU needs more top-rank attacking talent.

Disapproving Hippo and Ethan Frank repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FA Women's Cup week-end

Sat 26
    Chelsea v Leicester

Sun 27
    Liverpool* v Arsenal
    Man Utd v Man City
    Charlton* v Everton
    Durham* v Birmingham
    West Brom** v Coventry*
    Reading v West Ham
    Ipswich** v Southampton**

L'orange and Klingo3034 repped this.
  14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Which team won the penalty shootout? The one equalizing at 120'+1' or the other one? :cautious: (One of the many reasons why I hate Twitter is that it most often lacks crucial information).

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The other one Ipswich won.

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Continental Cup final tomorrow. It is sold out . ko 5.15pm UK time due to tv blackout in England for games from 2.21 to 5.15pm.

Also this week-end is matchday 16

Sat

Aston Villa v Brighton
    Man Utd v Leicester

Sun

Arsenal v Birmingham
    Reading v Tottenham

Thu 10 Mar
    West Ham v Chelsea

?

Man City v Everton

Klingo3034 repped this.
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Aston Villa v Brighton 0-1
    Man Utd v Leicester 4-0

20. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #395 sbahnhof, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    Continental/League Cup final: South London has a football ground named after a punk record label?

And this match! Man City win the cup - Caroline Weir is having an incredible month. This season the Community Shield was cancelled because team GB was playing in the the Olympics then, thus ending Chelsea's chances of bragging about winning a 'quintuple' or whatever - now they're down to a mere 'double'.

Chelsea 1 - 3 Manchester City - (Kerr 34' / Weir 49', 69', White 58')

[​IMG] Ireland: The WNL kicked off at the weekend, a tough start for the new (10th) club Sligo, a 6-0 loss to former champs Peamount. About the league, by RTE:
    "WNL preview: New faces & old foes prepare for battle"

[​IMG] Scotland: The Women's Premier League will soon join the organization of the SPFL, which runs the men's top 4 divisions. A majority of the 17 SWPL clubs voted for it, after decades being run by the women's football association. It's a huge step in 2022/23 for the two SWPL divisions, and something that English clubs haven't really attempted yet, to be managed by an (until now) male league.
    - Emma Black on 360, BBC Alba - "what might lie ahead for Scottish women’s football following the transition to the SPFL"?

[​IMG] ...also in that TV show, the Pinatar Cup. Ireland beat Wales to 3rd place, but there was a 3-1 win for Cymru vs Scotland, and the tournament's most satisfying goal, Tash Harding's backheeled assist for Jess Fishlock to smash the ball home and score her 2nd.

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Zelem's three Olympico goals in the last two matches: same stadium, exact same corner spot. No LSV match until Brighton (four matches from now). Don't know why Leicester didn't stick and keep a player on the far post on those corners, especially the second one.

Feel like a lot of United fans keep underappreciating Groenen defensively, and I thought she stood out particularly vs Leicester yesterday with some good FBref stats. 21 pressures (7 successful, 11 in the defensive third), 2/2 Vs dribbles, 3 interceptions, 1 blocked shot, 15 loose ball recoveries, and 2/5 tackles (all 5 tackles in the defensive third, 3 tackle sequence at the start of the 2nd half that I thought the ref was wrong to call a foul).

Some people suggesting the Arsenal triple sub vs Birmingham was too much by Jonas. I feel like we sometimes try too much as fans to put individual errors down to overall play/systemic issues, which I've found at times can lead to people blaming the midfield for defensive miscues. I probably won't watch the replay, but I do kind of wonder if Weinrother and Souza's errors on the two goals were somewhat a product of the triple change or just largely isolated moments of misjudgment.

L'orange and sbahnhof repped this.
  22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think if you don't change players when 3-0 up with a 9 players bench, you create frustrations. And that frustration will turn into bigger problems that can derail a season.

Right now, nearly all players are fit at Arsenal so they had to leave two players out of the matchday squad: Boye-Sorensen and Stenson. Plus Parris being injured. Basically, subs need to be used before they start moaning about game time and create tensions.

sbahnhof repped this.
  23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Right, I think it's definitely more of a hindsight thing for any fans who had/have a problem with the triple sub.

Speaking of subs, Nobbs getting garbage time on her 250th Arsenal appearance made some noise. Either, no one informed Eidevall about the situation, or Eidevall knew and didn't really care. Regardless, it was kind of a peculiar sub; you're two goals up with like one to two minutes of time left.

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He did not care I think and it was the typical time wasting sub...

25. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Man United vs Reading

Reading had a very difficult time dealing with United's offense all match. It was more severe in the first half, but United still got at Reading's defense well in the second half, just without end product. Reading's offense was improved in the second half, but I don't think they ever put together a truly sustained period of pressure on United's midfield and defense.

Galton had a standout match today vs a team not named Birmingham; that was great to see. She had a stretch last season where her finishing was really good; maybe this match will kickstart another stretch. Russo was also great, but she's already been my POTS for United for a while now.

I've had my share of issues with Zelem, but I think a lot of fans have tried to paint a Groenen-Zelem pairing as some sort of huge defensive liability when it isn't. That pairing was great today vs Reading in my opinion, and I actually think it's historically been largely equivalent defensively or at least close to the Ladd-Zelem pairing. I think Zelem's definitely a deep lying player (not an 8 but a regista 6), and a player in Groenen's mould is arguably a better partner for her than a player in Ladd's mould. Ladd can have periods/matches where she's dynamic in a box to box/vertical sense, but Groenen is far more consistent and naturally inclined in that sense. When Zelem's partnered with Ladd, I feel like she's sometimes put under too much pressure to be more dynamic in her movement and pressing, and that often doesn't help her game. Ladd-Groenen would still be my first choice defensive midfield pairing, but I do really think Groenen (or even Boe Risa)-Zelem is better than Ladd-Zelem.

Groenen and Batlle were both absolute workhorses today. I talked a few times last season about wanting to see Batlle be more directly creative, and she's definitely stepped up there this season. However, I wasn't expecting anything from her goal scoring/shot taking wise. I think her left footed "goal" today was better than her goal vs Reading to open the season. (Seriously, how was Batlle's shot not given as a goal? That could have been far more of a talking point if Russo hadn't brilliantly found the back of the net with the help of a deflection off Cooper.)

Speaking of poor refereeing decisions, I thought Thomas was clearly fouled in the box in the 78th/79th minute (great play from Groenen and Galton preceding the Thomas run). Reading got away with that.

A couple good/great saves from Earps today (first of her double save vs Rose and the foot save); I think the second one of her double save vs Rose was routine. Blundell continues to be scarily good progressing the ball forward, but she definitely needs to cut out the hospital passes.

Toone's through ball passing in the first half was very, very good.

Boe Risa and Groenen with some clever play to set up Toone for a last minute chance, but her shot was well blocked.