Football in the UK and Ireland season 2020/21

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jun 14, 2020.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So far very topsy turfy; MC struggling at 5th place, but looking great during cup games. Arsenal are unbeaten & currently the league leaders, but look terrible in cup games.
    Americans have looked great(as shown on those easy goals for MU) but are nowhere near the top on stats. That belongs to two Dutch girls; Miedema with ten goals in five games/Roord with 6 in just two games compared to Mewis 2 goals in five games/Heath & Press with one a piece in 3 games.
    Catlyn Foord out performs her ‘shrimp on the Barbie’ teamie Sam Kerr with an so far amazing 5 goals 5 assists.
    Hotshot goal scorers from earlier this year, Harder & Beth E have only one goal a piece while their Chelsea teammate, Fran Kirby is stealing the show.

Has the WSL becomes the #1 league in the world?; despite having the NWSL’s mvp of the summer’s Challenge Cup(Rachel Daly) along with others like Van Egmond, Leon, Fisk(add other internationals from France Australia Czech Rep, D Korea, Swiss) continues to struggle at only #10. Compare that to the other Matt Beard coached team, Boston Breakers, who might of been bottom feeders, but only had one semi popular player on the squad; Kristy Mewis!(who must of took like 20 shots a game for every goal she made, lol).

The England NT playing like MC when we wished they would play like the Jill Ellis approved MU(way more direct soccer). Word has it now that the GB Olympic squad will be chosen as in November. So forgive me my sense of urgency how important player performances are now & could add; Kim Little, where are ya when we need ya? And is Alex Morgan shakin a little on the Spurs bench with the arrival of Macario at USWNT camp?

SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fran Kirby out of England’s game vs Germany due to ankle injury during practice

3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #428 Lohmann, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    England has cancelled the game!

law10 and sbahnhof repped this.
  4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] And in Ireland, trouble with the virus again - the government has moved the country to the highest alert level, but it doesn't stop training or matches in the Women's National League.

The Women's FAI Cup final is scheduled to be a stand-alone event on national TV on 12 Dec, but the semi-finals were postponed due to international call-ups. One of the semi matches will involve last year's two finalists, Wexford against the champions Peamount, who are leading this season's league ahead of Shelbourne by two points. Peamount have also been drawn to play at Glasgow City in the Champions League qualifying round on 3/4 Nov.

law10 repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    sbahnhof repped this.
  6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    The Hammers got a second series? Back of the net! I thought The West Ham Show was less likely to survive than... well, West Ham in WSL, but I'm glad.

Seeing Chelsea's FA Cup funny antics through the years, I hope that they've done their TV show as a fully scripted sitcom. Emma Hayes is a well-known joker - as we heard after their cup loss to Everton

Ah, joke/joker, doesn't matter, as long as the audience are amused

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] On that solemn note, a historic occasion on Sunday (1 Nov) - it's the Women's FA Cup final, for the 50th time. Going back, both finalists have taken the trophy twice before; who'll be winning a third?
    Everton v Manchester City
    Kickoff
    14:30 GMT / See your time here

Despite their better start to the new season, Everton have the underdog sympathy for this match, but Man City have the track record after winning 2 cups in the last 3 seasons.

Previews:
    - "Everton Women Aiming to Repeat 2010 FA Cup Success After a Decade in the Wilderness" - (90 Minutes)
    - Just Women's Sports: "Man. City and Everton to face off in Vitality Women’s FA Cup Final"

Also, pre-match views from Man City's Chloe Kelly (formerly of Everton) and the up-and-coming Jess Park, and on the Everton side, Valérie Gauvin and manager Willie Kirk.

[​IMG]
    Everton's last win: the 2010 final v Arsenal
    (Clavdia chauchat, cc-by)

Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Saw the UK announced lockdown. What does it mean for the FA Cup Final?

8. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Maybe not much change for today's game - they say Thursday (5 Nov) is the day when things will shut down for four weeks.

For the leagues, the announcement didn't mention the WSL specifically, but I guess the clubs' pro status will allow them to continue as 'elite sport'. Not so sure about the Women's Championship, and below. Would they have to postpone a month?

Lockdown: Premier League, EFL and elite sport to continue in England
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/54765522

[​IMG] The new season Women's FA Cup (2020/21) is also in action on Sunday, the 3rd qualifying round for 48 clubs - probably their last games for a while. :(

1322273199233605635 is not a valid tweet id

Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Championship is considered Elite sport too. They have to as the Continental Cup group stage is happening midweek.

And there Championship games today except for Durham due to 11 teams in the League.
    Coventry's game was pulled as well due to multiple Covid-19 cases. One of the players I know put on an instagram story that she is quarantine and it's no surprise as she works in healthcare.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FA cup final. How is Houghton’s challenge on Gauvin NOT a foul? It was worse than Bronze’s yellow on Raso earlier in the half!

Lechus7 repped this.
  11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having Rose, Sam and Lucy on the same team almost seems unfair!:D!

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole Man City team are international All Stars (current or future e.g. Chloe Kelly). 5th place in the league means that G. Taylor hasn’t got them on the same page yet.

13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I see that lately more and more often in WoSo. Careless/reckless/extensive force tackles with disregard to danger/consequences for an oponent are getting a slide.
    "I was faster to the ball by 0,5 sec - too bad I broke your leg in follow up"
    I wonder if trying to achieve faster play - by all means - to close even just a bit existing gap on men's game is a good way forward. :unsure:

14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with the announcers that White was ineffective in the game. She busted her ass in the first half. Time for fresh legs.

15. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Counter point for me is that Houghton actually got the ball solidly away from no potential further play from Gauvin. I don’t recall Bronze doing that in her play with Raso. I’m not a fan of Houghton at all, but I’m not sure what else she’s supposed to do. Just let Gauvin run free? She had to slide in at pace for any chance of getting the ball, and I don’t recall her follow through being that reckless/dangerous. Agree to disagree though.

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it is all in the use of excessive force which is punishable according to the LOTG, but rarely applied. Winning the ball is not a parameter taking into account for those actions.

It is a cultural thing. Get stuck in is the English mentality, you can also see by the fact that it is the same word in rugby and football in English "tackle"

17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I just don’t think Houghton used excessive force there. Based on my recollection of the play, the one sure way she avoids a collision is if she just lets Gauvin run free on goal, and that would have definitely been poor defending.

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And we are back in the Continental Cup in midweek.

Group A

Coventry v Villa P-P due to Covid
    Sheffield v Durham

Group B
    Chelsea v Tottenham
    London City v Arsenal

Group C
    Liverpool v Man City
    Everton v Man United

Group D
    West Ham v Reading
    Charlton v Brighton

Group E
    Leicester v Blackburn

Group F
    London Bees v Lewes
    Crystal Palace v Bristol

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #444 Ethan Frank, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    So, I seem to be the only one (or maybe one of only a few people) who's more into praising Finnigan for stopping a certain goal off a MacIver error than praising MacIver's save off the subsequent corner. I mean it's a world class save, but she made a big mistake right before that and allowed an open goal chance for Stanway. You're seeing clips on social media of the save, which is cool and completely understandable; I want to see as many clips of Finnigan saving her keeper though.

Edit: At least regarding this match, I think the MacIver over Roebuck shouts I've been seeing on social media are a bit overblown. I thought Roebuck also did well on two instances (i.e. Damaris' header and Sorensen's cross), but she got punished for her error on Gauvin's goal. MacIver didn't get punished for her error, and instead of picking the ball out of her net, she made a terrific save off the corner. I do think MacIver's had the better season out of the two, but I didn't see all that much of a difference between them in the FA Cup final.

20. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Man City vs Man Utd and Chelsea vs Arsenal. Huge weekend.

Edit: Everton vs Reading as well.

59Amerinorsk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Definitely watching those! Top 4 elite teams against each other. This is the only time we can see who is the number 1! Will change the standings!

Ethan Frank and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it's a bird!, it's a plane! NO it's Alex Morgan's debut......

blissett repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man U wil have to do without Russo(still recovering from an hamstring injury). Personally I like Russo over Press; she's puts a lot more pressure on opposing defenders, that would help especially vs Man City who spend a lot of time in the setting up the so called triangle passes between Houghton, Bonner & Walsh(though two FB's do this as well). and then to boot; Russo's got 3 goals to her credit vs Press one goal.
    Now got to admit Heath is a tad better than Galton on the left wing, but now Galton's been moved to left FB, wonder if that's neccesarily a good thing? Having an attacking B puts more pressure on Millie Turner's defending/same thing guess could be said if they keep starting Batle(another attcking FB) over Amy T.

One more MU question; so their hard core fans are called the Barmy Army. But google search has it as England's national's cricket team, so why the switch over?

24. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Russo over Press is fine with me since I mostly prefer Press on the wing anyways. With Russo out though, Press is comfortably the best ST option.

Stoney seems hesitant about Okvist, and apart from that early giveaway vs Spurs, Galton's done quite well at LB. If McManus recovers from her knock in time, I can see Stoney going with Batlle at LB and A. Turner at RB. However, even if McManus will be an option for City, I would prefer Galton at LB, M. Turner/McManus, A. Turner, and Batlle at RB. Batlle at RB is considerably better than A. Turner at RB in my opinion. Of course, Smith could be an option at LB or RB depending on her recovery, and while I doubt it, Stoney may trust Okvist and start her at LB vs City.

Wikipedia has these two sentences.
    1) The term "barmy" is English slang for "mad" or "crazy".
    2) Supporters of English national teams in other sports are also subsidiaries of the Barmy Army.
    Of course, Man United Women is a club team and not a national team, but Barmy Army maybe has become a general phrase to describe a group of very vocal supporters for an English national/club team.

hotjam2 repped this.
  25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is the Conti Cup final group game:

The six groups winners qualify as the best two runner-ups. The best runner-ups qualification mode was not disclosed by the FA as usual, they don't want people to know how things are done. But one club leaked it to a journo.

So results against first and third team in the groups will count and not against the team finishing fourth in the group because Group E has only three teams.

The group E final game is off due to Covid-19 positive test at Birmingham.
    There also postponed games to be played in December which means we won't know the 8 teams by tomorrow night.

sbahnhof repped this.