Football and religion...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Lab Mouse, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    I am going to be teaching an American studies course this fall. I am not just doing the USA but also Mexico and Canada as well, and I'm doing components on religion and sports.

My question is, is there a patron saint of soccer? I'm looking for a sort of a tie-in between religion and sport, especially soccer and hockey. Being one of those rebellious Lutherans, I don't know a whole lot about patron saints, so I'd appreciate any answers either here or by PM. My students would love to know too.

Thanks.

2. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It changes from day to day. If it's Wednesday, it must be Mathis.

3. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Football is a religion.

4. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I believe Saint Sebastian is the patron saint of athletes, but as far as I know no sports have their own saint. May want to check with a more credible source, though.

5. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
  6. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

u could have had a pilgrimage to see the twin towers of wembely....but the $hitty government has arsed up the plans for it...

7. Nobby

Nobby New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    Football is a religion. It teaches about morality according to Camus. It has a sabbath that is celebrated weekly. Its greatest practioners are its saints. Followers make pilgrimages to its sacred temples like the San Siro, the Azteca and while it existed, Wembley.

8. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Let's not forget the holy temple of Lansedown Road, home to the current nine year competitive unbeaten run which is ever continuing, home of saint Niall Quinn and yee holy disco pants (Which are the best) and saint Mick Byrne and his holy magic spounge.