Fool me thrice ... if fool me you can't get fooled again - The 2023-24 OTT

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Aug 28, 2023.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    City having plenty of space but have been poor in the final third.

0 x 0 - HT

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    City breaks through. KdB to Haaland.

3. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Citeh proving once again that the EPL is a 1 team league that they own.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    At least Arsenal still holds the better GD, so all it would take is a draw b/w City and West Ham (and of course a win for Arsenal) on the final day.

Aston Villa clinch a CL spot and relegation is settled. Not alot going on then in the final day apart from the two matches impacting the title race.

Khan repped this.
  5. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Once again, no native English-speaking managers will represent the EPL in next years UCL.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Meh ... Bayern won 9 of 11 titles (in a row) comfortably . I'd say that's what a 1 team league is. City won 2 out of 6 with real cushion.

7. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Meh.

They've won 6 of the past 7, with only a once-in-a-century pandemic season, they had the best GD and best GS, yet finished 2nd.

Margin of victory ain't engraved on the trophy. They own that league, full stop.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, but you can't say the title race isn't competitive unless you're just looking at the list of champions as you say. If people are tuning into the last couple of rounds to see what happens, then it's an interesting league.

I do wonder if Son fluffed that chance on purpose. If he scores that, then Arsenal are in the drivers seat.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol This argument has already been debunked. Liverpool had that title in the bag before COVID lockdown started.

10. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Wait, are you arguing that the club that has the highest goals scored and the highest goal differential is not overwhelmingly most likely to win in a season?

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Dude, Liverpool had a 22-point lead on Man City with 9 matches to go (and a better goal difference if that matters) when the COVID lockdown started. The race, if you could call it that, was over.

Khan repped this.
  12. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    @unclesox I just saw the relegated from BuLi

Sh1t man... tough

unclesox and evil_allan repped this.
  13. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    yeah :( Five consecutive seasons in the top flight. Their longest stretch this century..
    They gave themselves a chance after beating Union last week but the task was still too great. Had to win today and hope Union lost for goal difference to come into play but... it was over by halftime.

Really impressed with Leverkusen. First time a team went unbeaten in a Bundesliga season. Incredible given all those great Bayern teams throughout the decades.
    And just two more matches for an unbeaten campaign:
    Wednesday v Atalanta (Europa League)
    Saturday v Kaiserslautern (DFB-Pokal)
    Funny thing is they could lose either/both cup finals on penalties and it would still, officially, go down as an unbeaten season.

14. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    We almost had unbeaten Liga season in 2018 too, if only Messi hadn't been rested for a friendly game.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But they would lose the Helmond Cup.

Not gonna happen though. They're not gonna lose in the last week.

unclesox repped this.
  16. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    City become the first team to win 4 EPLs in a row. Pep wins 6/8. Absloute domination.

Now come back to Barca in 2025 you bald bastard.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Helmond Cup update:

Two matches to go for an undefeated season. The Helmond Cup will either spend the summer in Leverkusen or an entirely different division/league altogether.

Result:
    5 May (Bundesliga)
    Frankfurt - 1
    Bayer Leverkusen - 5

9 May (Europa)
    Bayer Leverkusen 2
    AS Roma 2

12 May (Bundesliga)
    VfL Bochum - 1
    Bayer Leverkusen - 5

18 May (Bundesliga)
    Bayer Leverkusen - 2
    Augsburg - 1

Next fixture:
    Sun., 5 May (Europa final in Dublin)
    Atalanta v Bayer Leverkusen

Forthcoming:
    FC Kaiserslautern v Bayer Leverkusen (DFB Pokal)
    [Atalanta v Torino (Serie A)]

evil_allan and celito repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Meant to post earlier but got busy. Deportivo La Coruna beat Barca B 1-0 in what was a head-to-head battle for top spot in their 3rd-tier division, and automatic promotion. Barca B will have to settle for the promotion playoffs.

But good to see one of the best supported clubs in Spain get out of the 3rd tier.

19. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    So, IOW:

The potential next manager of FC Barcelona couldn't even get Barca Athletic out of the 3rd Division, yet we're supposed to believe that Rafa Marquez is gonna do a better job than Xavi?

I mean, I get that Xavi isn't a good manager, but why should the job be given the Marquez, exactly?

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, they still have a chance to get promoted. Its very difficult to get out of that level because only 2 teams out of 40 get promoted directly, and another 2 have to go through the playoffs which are a bit of a crapshoot.

Also, I have no clue how the Barca B team compares to Depor and other teams in that division in terms of quality. But its rare for Barca B to be any higher than the 3rd tier during the past decade.

Khan repped this.
  21. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I’ve read somewhere that other board members prefer Flick and Deco is pushing for Marquez.

Khan repped this.
  22. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I'd imagine that its less about the quality of the roster, and more about the (in)experience of the roster.

It would be nice to get the youngsters into a more competitive environment; Villarreal B was in La Segunda this season, although they're going down.

BocaFan repped this.
  23. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I've read that it was:

LaPorta: Flick
    Yuste: Xavi
    Board: Flick
    Deco: Marquez

https://www.barcablaugranes.com/202...nd-yuste-want-to-manage-barcelona-next-season

If Deco wants Marquez, then I'm on record for despising the idea. I dont think that Deco has a fvkcing clue how to be an executive, and I dont think he has a good eye for talent.

I also don't know how this club will afford Flick, or really, ANY other manager. At least, without further selling off even MORE players than they otherwise would have to, or pulling some other palancas.

So, by process of elimination, I guess I'm on board with retaining Xavi, until the finances improve, or he resigns and leaves.

24. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Interesting that now you have many coaches available. Let's see which one will be the coach although i think Xavi will continue.

25. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Europa League final today. Atalanta vs Leverkusen.

celito repped this.