Fool me thrice ... if fool me you can't get fooled again - The 2023-24 OTT

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Aug 28, 2023.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #1 celito, Aug 28, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    Although the last OTT title is still very relevant given number of players selling out to oil money, it's time for a new one.

Jpows repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    RFEF going as far as threatening to sue a recently crowned world champion player to defend Rubiales actions. They provided a picture of her "lifting" him during the ceremony as some sort of proof that she consented to the kiss. I don't know what I am missing but I find that ridiculous as being considered any sort of proof. Pretty ridiculous stuff.

I thought Barca published a weak message. Criticizing and condemning his behavior but also seemingly giving him a pass by mentioning that he apologized (which he actually didn't in his speech).

3. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    If that’s the sole “proof” then it’s ridiculous indeed.

I can understand the euphoria of the moment but that shouldn’t excuse dubiously misinterpreting an innocent and euphoric act of lifting someone up as clear consent to kiss them.
    When in doubt, take it as a NO IMO. Especially for a high ranking official as himself. Was he drunk? Or am I missing something here? Smh.

4. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Anyway. It’s funny seeing the scum crying about Negreira again. The usual “if we won it then it was based on merit and if we lost it it was because we either gifted them or it was gifted to them by *insert team, player, coach, official or you name it*, but we can’t prove it”. Even some of the mods are joining into the sob-fest, how can the rest be any better? Pathetic bunch.

They will always have an inferiority complex towards Barcelona. That’s the self-sustaining argument that keeps on giving which they keep alive themselves with all of this crying and sore loser mentality ever since our golden era. Cry more.

The incessant crying and Mbappe tea-bagging them for years now makes my day every time though. Long may it continue.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They also are keying on the fact that the day after (or 2 days) she gave a statement saying she didn't have a problem with what happened. This is translated:

"It was a totally spontaneous mutual gesture because of the immense joy that winning a World Cup brings.

"The president and I have a great relationship, his behaviour with all of us has been outstanding and it was a natural gesture of affection and gratitude."

https://news.sky.com/story/victims-...ween-luis-rubiales-and-jenni-hermoso-12947809

But then, as the story didn't die and Rubiales gave a statement, she changed her story. Now she says she was pressured by RFEF into giving that statement to kill the controversy.

Jpows repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Watching one of the most one-sided matches I've ever seen. Estudiantes LP v Corinthians. Shots 25-1, on target 11-1 for Estudiantes after 60 min. Many of them good chances.

Yet somehow it's only 1-0 on the night and 1-1 on aggregate. Just increíble stuff!

I am going to predict Estudiantes will eventually score, but then relax too much and Corinthians will reply to send it to PKs.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #7 BocaFan, Aug 29, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    ^ My prediction was overly ambitious. No further goals and other goes to PKs. Final shots: 30-7.
    Estudiantes keeper talking to the ball boy behind the goal before the shootout. What's that about? :cautious:
    Didn't work as Corinthians wins the shootout.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Osasuna is out of Europe! Couldn't hang on to a 3-2 agg lead, conceding two goals to Club Brugge in 3 minutes, shortly after making a triple substitution.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Helmond Cup update:

Result:
    Saturday 26 August
    (German Bundesliga)
    Borussia M’Gladbach 0
    Bayer Leverkusen 3

Next fixture:
    Sat., 2 Sep (Bundesliga)
    Bayer Leverkusen v SV Darmstadt

Forthcoming:
    Bayern Munich :rolleyes: v Bayer Leverkusen
    [SV Darmstadt v Borussia M’Gladbach]

Gilmango, evil_allan and celito repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some Madrid dedicated social media accounts were still pushing until today a final day bid for Mbappe and that he'd be in Madrid on Sept. 2nd. It's absolutely incredible how they fooled their followers. :ROFLMAO:

This time around Mbappe was actually straight forward with his intentions (unless he renews an extends again). It was the so called transfer experts and media that fooled them. I have to admit, I initially thought Mbappe was playing a game to leave this summer as well. Perhaps he would have if the numbers were right and Madrid actually made a bid. I think he enjoys being pursued instead of forcing his way out. But after Neymar deal was done, it was clear Mbappe was staying. The bizarre part is that Madrid has a good team ready for him, yet he chooses to spend another year at PSG in a team that is rebuilding. What's the point in staying an extra year for a rebuild that you will not be a part of ? Either he is the greediest mofo or he really loves PSG and will end up extending again.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Speaking of greedy mofo, Salah will reportedly get USD 1.5 million per week in Saudi league if that deal gets done, which now looks likely. Holy smokes!

12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Saudi league will never turn into top league.

Cosmin10 and BocaFan repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This all seems to building towards a serious bid to host the 2034 World Cup. You thought Qatar was bad? What for 2034.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Getafe up 1 x 0 on Madrid at the Bernabeu. Not much faith in Getafe though. Even with Vin Jr. out. The way Getafe plays they will probably get a red card at some point.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Madrid draw level. Mess of a play in the box from Getafe. Joselu looked offsides on the initial play. Don't know why doesn't get called. But Madrid did have a PK on Bellingham not called in the 1st half.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Lol. Chelsea lose at home to Forest!

A billion pounds later and they are back in the bottom half of the table.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    9 mins of injury time. There was one VAR stoppage that I remember on the goal. Took around 2-3 mins I think.

18. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Of course the same players who are Buffon mk2 vs Barca now gift Real goals

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Getafe's GK had a great game but coughs up a shot straight to Bellingham's feet. Another goal for him. Knew this was coming. Madrid had enough chances to score in the 2nd half.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    To be fair he had a great game up to that mistake. But yeah, he coughed it up.

We could also have some players who take shots from outside the box.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sergio Ramos back at Sevilla. Can officially call him the Butcher of Seville now ... :ROFLMAO:

BocaFan and Jpows repped this.
  22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #22 BocaFan, Sep 4, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    Damn, Antony dropped from Brazil's squad after being accused for assaulting his girlfriend. Innocent until proven guilty, of course, but here is a list of all the people surprised about these allegations:

:unsure:

But seriously, his career (at big clubs, at least) could already be over. Huge headache for ten Haag given how much ManUre paid for him, especially as ten Haag and Sancho aren't on the best of terms.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CBF was actually pressured to drop Antony by some journalists who started making noise and social media after they dropped Paqueta for being investigated for involvement in betting in games he played in. The narrative is that CBF (and men) care more about a betting scandal than women being physically abused.

Honestly, both are open investigations and I'd have no problems having both being called up. I can actually justify Paqueta not being called up but Antony being called up because Paqueta's supposed crime puts in check his integrity on the field which could theoretically affect a match result. But logically speaking, ain't no way Paqueta would do something dubious while under investigation. Antony's supposed crime is non-football related. But that's not to say that betting manipulation is a worse crime than physical abuse ... which is what these journalists are saying.

Another reason not to call up both players is the distraction their call ups would will bring to the team. And since it's just 2 WCQ games, it's probably not worth fighting that fight.

BocaFan repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Helmond Cup update:

Result:
    Saturday 2 September
    (German Bundesliga)
    Bayer Leverkusen 5
    SV Darmstadt 1

Next fixture
    :
    Fri., 15 Sep (Bundesliga)
    Bayern Munich :rolleyes: v Bayer Leverkusen

Forthcoming:
    Bayer Leverkusen v Häcken (Europa League)
    [Bayern Munich v Manchester United (CL)]

celito repped this.
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CONMEBOL WCQ games started tonight. Messi scored another late game FK to probably ensure 3 points for Argentina. For some reason he looks quicker than what I've seen with Inter Miami. Might be something with the camera angle.

BocaFan and Cosmin10 repped this.