Florida Superthread

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Mad Hattah, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando

Ran across this as I was checking out UCF's web site. Plans are in the works for an on campus 40,000 seat stadium. Looks nice. Probably about 15,000 too big for MLS but who knows. It would be great to have an MLS team south of DC and east of Dallas...

Here's the links to some renderings.

http://www.stadium.ucf.edu/PDF Files/UCF_02.pdf

http://www.stadium.ucf.edu/PDF Files/UCF_03.pdf

And yes, I realize as with all potential expansion sites, if Orlando had an investor with enough money MLS would be there... nice stadium nonetheless.

2. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Re: New Stadium in Orlando, MLS to follow?

Orlando would be a great place for an MLS team.

MLS needs a couple of teams in Florida.

An Orlando - Miami rivalry would be awesome.

3. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no thx...its a football stadium

4. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ACtually this is bad news for any hope of MLS in Orlando. Now, the state won't be willing to fund another stadium in the area. Had never really considered Orlando as a possible destination for MLS anyway (USL, yes).

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Most misleading headline of the day, congratulations.

6. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, you're in LA. you have a nice SSS. i live in a soccer blackhole. if there was a team willing to play there i'd go.

as for the state ponying up money, i don't think that'd be in the cards regardless... the Marlins couldn't get any.

i know there's not a ground swell for MLS but I'd thought I'd post the picks anyway.

plus maybe a USMNT match could be played there? i can dream.

7. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, it was. but it got you to read it right? :p

8. Rowray

Rowray New Member

May 2, 2005

Isn't Monticello near Tallahassee? You'd be a season ticket holder to a team over 3 hours away?

9. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario

It would be a great Soccer Stadium. Dont know why they cant share it with Football. this is a very narrow mindset.

10. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Monticello is 30 minutes east of Tallahassee.

And yes I would be. I am a season ticket holder of the Jags (2 1/2 hr drive) so a few more minutes for a soccer team wouldn't be too bad.

but of course it's all baseless speculation... :(

11. Rowray

Rowray New Member

May 2, 2005

Wow, good for you. That's a hardcore fan.

12. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

are ........ you .......... serious ???

have you ever watched a Revs home game?? A Wiz homegame??? Metro homegame??? I don't care if the facility is new. Im totally against this cause the City of Orlando will NOT pony up more $$ for a SSS. So evntually a potential franchise in Orlando would be no better than having the Quakes stay in SanJose.

13. Udinese

Udinese Red Card

Aug 21, 2005
    Etobicoke

I dont know what your issue is. That stadium is just fine. The HDC is used for more than soccer.

14. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

Yes, it's great stadium. But I seriously doubt if any MLS team is going to be created in or moved to any city where the soccer team doesn't have complete control of the stadium situation. There might be an exception to this in the case of a Salt Lake City or Houston, but that's only until the new team has time to build its own place. Trying to play soccer in a gridiron stadium really turns into a bummer in the fall with scheduling problems. It sucks to have to play too many games on Wednesdays.

I met a really friendly sheriff one time hitchhiking through Monticello. Said it was a cold night and offered me a cell until morning. If I hadn't been holding, I would have taken him up on it. I opted for the bus.

15. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its main purpose was for soccer..... if AEG uses it for anything else then thats their business.

16. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i think that makes two of us here on the BS boards who have been to Monticello. Very nice and friendly town, that story sounds about right... :D

i agree it wouldn't be ideal... but MLS has to make a push south... they're leaving out one of the fastest growing areas in the US...

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I live in Orlando and I know for a fact that there is some considerations to a possible MLS tenant for this stadium project.
    Here are some of the facts:
    -Built by private funds by UCF alumni, no state/government (not good for MLS IMHO)
    -Won't be built until 2007 season
    -UCF already promising nearby residents that only half a dozen college football games will ever be played there (seems like they are missing the boat for other revenue streams)
    -Will leave UCF's current venue, the Citrus Bowl, completely empty except for occasional events.
    -I have emailed UCF and they told me they have no plans of having soccer played there, in any form. :(

18. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well that information kinda sucks no doesn't it?

isn't the citrus bowl an absolute crap hole? i don't know much about it except what i saw driving by it on the highway. it looks like its in need of some renovations. i wonder how many people that things holds. (time to do a bit of research)

if they're going to be desperate for tenants come 2007 i wonder if an MLS franchise could secure an advantageous stadium lease...

19. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Citrus Bowl holds about 70,000
    http://64.225.93.97/citrusbowl
    Remember it was used for the World Cup in 1994, so its not "that" bad for soccer.
    Capacity is the real problem, its too big.

I guess in some fantasy world, MLS and/or some wonderful investor could lease the Citrus Bowl until UCF let them use the new football stadium or a SSS was built.
    :D
    HAHAHAHAHA!

21. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando

a few thoughts:

1) it's interesting that this story was floating around in the last few days, and then this morning (8/24/05) the orlando paper has a story about the ajax academy here in orlando negotiating to buy into both the quakes and the wiz. the one hurdle they mentioned to considering an mls club for orlando was the lack of a stadium. (go read the thread about it I posted a little while ago.)

2) the citrus bowl is, in fact, crap. it was almost condemned thrity years ago (the stadium started swaying when fans at the tangerine bowl game (original name) were jumping up and down in their seats), and there have been only minor improvements since then that were heavy on cosmetics and light on substance. it would be an embarrasment to the league: a 76,000-seat mausoleum. and I say that as a lifelong orlando resident, and as a ucf alum whose had season tix there for almost ten years.

bottom line: mls must hold out for the best---a SSS is the proper strategy, and without signed and sealed blueprints for one, no "temporary" solution such as the citrus bowl is even remotely acceptable. if that scuttles the possiblity of having an mls team come to my hometown, so be it. the game will be better for it.

3) soccer at ucf is only a slightly more valid possibility, but then most anything would be, compared to the citrus bowl. ucf is already allowing whole herds of hippy moonbats to delay even the commitment to building the new stadium, let alone the actual shovels in the dirt. any proposed soccer in orlando should not lower or expose itself to that level of roadblocking.

4) there is also the issue of the field with the ucf idea. that tiny little field the quakes play on isn't great. the odds would be high that any soccer field configuration at the new ucf stadium would be sub-standard, too, for reasons of size and sightlines, among other reasons.

it's exciting to hear about, as a soccer fan in orlando. but I put the game before my own personal fan-related desires, and any sub-par/half-assed try at making a team fly in orlando can only hurt the (proposed) team, the league, and the game.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. The Citrus Bowl does suck for MLS and UCF isn't helping matters.

Ajax America is hoping that at some point Orlando will be interested. But for now they are basically interested in having a professional American outlet for their academy products.

PS
    WorldGame, have you been to our Oveido World Cup parties?
    You should...

23. taboga

taboga Member

Dec 17, 2005
    MLS and Disney need to talk!

It would make sense for both Disney and MLS to have a franchise in Orlando. Can you imagine if Disney built the stadium in Disney World and used a sss (built by Disney) as an attraction inside one of Disney's massive theme parks. Disney with billions of dollars could build a really nice soccer stadium for cheap. It would be awesome if people could go to Disney World for the day and then at night go to a soccer game. Once the soccer game is over there can be fireworks meaning people can stay at the soccer stadium to watch the show for free. Since people from all over the world go to Disney World, it makes perfect sense. MLS n

24. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    Re: MLS and Disney need to talk!

The most logical place would be inside the Wide World of Sports. But, Disney has already said they do not want to have a professional sports team on their facilities (although they do host Braves spring training).

Also, relying on tourists so heavily cuts into season ticket holders.

The city of Orlando, with a population of around 1.8 million, is smaller than any MLS city, other than Salt Lake City, and given their stadium issues, they may not be there much longer.

Disney World is located outside of the city, and since there's really only one highway that runs north-south. If you live in the suburbs north of Orlando, its not convenient.

Also, it's a huge conflict of interest--disney owns ABC, and their partner, ESPN...the network that holds the broadcasting rights for all MLS national telecasts.

25. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: MLS and Disney need to talk!

Orlando is in a pretty good spot because it's not too far from Tampa and Jacksonville. Putting a team in Disney makes it that much harder for people from those areas to get there.

If Disney were to buy a team and they built the stadium in Orlando, I'm sure they would do some kind of package deal with tourists. They'd be stupid not to.

Orlando supports the Magic and had pretty good support for the Predators (AFL) and the Solar Bears (minor league hockey) when I was stationed there in 96-97. The question remains as to whether the city would support an outdoor team.