Florida Politics and the Face of Irony

Tema en 'Politics & Current Events' iniciado por SoFla Metro, 8 Ago 2002.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

21 Jul 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/789130.asp

Anybody else remember when Katherine Harris said she wanted to hold Al Gore "to the letter of the law"
    during the 2000 election?

Apparenly Ms. Harris can't follow her own rules, as she failed to follow Florida election law by not resigning her post as Florida Secretary of State once she threw her hat in the ring for a Congressional seat.

To further the caricaturization (is that a word?) of Ms. Harris, she explained that she misunderstood the Florida law regarding this. Rich, considering part of her job as SOS was to enforce election law.

Since she's expected to prevail in her election bid anyway, hopefully she can write some laws she can understand, since she obviously doesn't understand the laws written by others.

2. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

10 Ago 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    [​IMG]

Calling that the face of irony is an insult to irony.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

1 Mar 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a MAN, baby!

4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

21 Jul 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I think Cesar Romero does her makeup

5. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

28 May 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The biggest irony is that the President's brother, scorned as a criminal for "stealing an election" by the lunatic left, is kicking the @ss of the US Attorney General from the revered Clinton/Gore team. This, after many predictions that Jeb Bush was finished politically. I don't think the Dems can punch enough phony ballots to make this one even close.

6. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

10 Ago 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I'm generally a left/center leaning individual myself, and I doubt I'd be inclined to vote for Jeb Bush, but how anyone thought Janet Reno was electable to any office is over my head.

7. Garcia

Garcia Member

14 Dic 1999
    Castro Castro
    I know Florida politics are popular in Michigan so maybe you could help me understand a few things, Ian.

Is President Bush a liability for Jeb?
    Take this from many angles, but the economy, the war on terror, the war on drugs, the 2000 election and even the terrorists living in Florida and attending flight schools could all be factors.

Can the GOP really count on the Elian factor and just how much of the vote would that be?

Is Jeb's daughter and her drug problem a liability for Jeb? I mean, considering the real drug (and trafficing) problem in Florida.

In Miami, Orlando and even Key West, the gay community might counter the Cuban vote as Reno has been courting the vote and was on "gay radio" today telling voters how she would change laws to allow gay couples to adopt children.

Is Reno gay and would that be a factor?

Outside the big cities, Florida is either old people, who might not even be registered voters in Florida and is rather, how to say it in a nice way, Boss Hog redneck.

Do you think if Jeb kisses his wife on stage, tongue optional of course, that would set a division between a manly woman who has visible health issues and the stud that is Jeb?

Do you think Jeb's wife's shopping and smuggling past will make the Bush's appear as not in touch with the common Floridian?

Do you think Clinton or any "big" dem will make a trip to FLA to help Reno?

Do you dance? If you had $25, you could have been at the Dance Party.

8. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

28 May 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, your posts are getting less and less comprehensible to me daily. I'm concerned about your well-being. Have you been hanging around with Jeb's daughter lately? ;)

9. eneste

eneste Member

24 Mar 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ...running out of Florida quips...must watch more Fox News...fair and balanced, fair and balanced...

10. obie

obie New Member

18 Nov 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NEW POLL: D'AMATO SURGES AHEAD!
    -- New York Post Headline, November 1, 1998 -- one day before Sen. Al D'Amato got beaten badly by Chuck Schumer.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0046/barrett.php

The Post also predicted Lazio over Hillary one day before the 2000 election. She won by 12 percentage points.

Good luck to Jeb there.

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

21 Jul 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I see nobody is willing to rush to the defense of President Bush's Florida campaign manager here.

12. OtakuFC

OtakuFC New Member

13 Abr 2000
    Florida
    I live in Florida and as of right now it doesn't seem like Gov. Jeb is in any trouble for the fall elections. One thing he has going for him is that the state legislature is controlled by the GOP, so he really doesn't have to deal with any legislation battles. Also, in terms of polling Reno is doing worse against Jeb than Bill McBride (the other Democratic candidate for governor), but she's the one the Democrats are likely to pick. Lastly, the state itself seems to be doing well and though the 9/11 attack had an adverse effect on the tourism/attraction industry, there seems to be have been a return to pre-9/11 levels.

It seems like the only problems he has had is when it comes to his family and I seriously doubt the Democrats are going to try and use those incidents in the campaign.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

21 Jul 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Actually, I would say his greatest asset is that he has a fat war chest, whereas Reno doesn't have a whole lot of campaign money.

Compartir esta página