Flash 2013-14 Off Season

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Sep 12, 2013.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ingrid Wells signed a two year contract with Turbine Potsdam - through 6/30/2015.

http://www.turbine-potsdam.de/newsmeldung.php?id=1314101&s=1314

There is a great photo of her on that web page.

Google Translate:

As the latest addition, the U.S. citizen Ingrid Wells completes the roster of the 1st FFC Turbine Potsdam for the 2013/14 season. The 24-year-old midfielder comes from the American professional league team Western New York Flash to the German Vice Champion in Potsdam and at first wrote a two-year contract until 30 June 2015.

Coach Bernd Schröder sees the native New Yorker, in particular a strengthening of the squad in the width: "Ingrid Wells has come at a time when our focus of commitment a few months ago. Our aim was, this year, in width to have, especially after the experience of last season a sufficient cadre, if it comes to failures. With a player Ingrid Wells strengthened the team that already has international experience, including in the U.S. league and junior selection team has. Ingrid initially only once need time to get used to the conditions here generally here and in Germany. "

Ingrid Wells was born on 29 Born March 1989. The 24-year-old actor played midfield in recent months in the U.S. professional league for the team from Western New York Flash. Previously, she worked for the team spirit of Washington, where she had changed from the Swedish League of Kopparbergs / Göteborg FC. Wells also has been applied in the U.S. Under-20 national team for the use with which she won the U20 World Cup in Chile in 2008. Then it belonged to the U23 squad selection in the USA. Wells continues to hold to during their time with the Georgetown Hoyas (2007 - 2011) achieved high school record points scorer (108) and assists (46) and is second all-time leading scorer at the University of (34).

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ordered my tickets yesterday. :D

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Streaming radio:
    http://www.whtk.com/main.html

Yesterday Flash picked 5 players in the College Draft. Copied below from Jeff DiVeronica's blog. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/blog/devosdirectkicks/

Courtney Verloo (Stanford): Oregon native led the Cardinal in scoring last fall and was a first-team All-Pac-12 pick. She's 5-foot-9 and also was an all-league pick earlier in her career as a defender, so she's versatile. She also has played for the U.S. Under-20 national team. Stanford was No. 17 in the country last year.

Cloee Colohan (BYU): Utah native spent her first two years at Portland before transferring to her home state school. Had 11 goals and 14 assists as a junior and senior. She's 5-foot-8 and a midfielder.

Kelsey Wys (Florida State): Expected to back up Adrianna Franch, she closed her standout college career owning 17 school records, including wins (74), shutouts (45) and starts (96). She was the ACC Tournament MVP as a sophomore and All-ACC as a junior and second-team as a senior. She's a native of Coral Springs, Fla., who is 5-9.

Annie Steinlage (Virginia): Spent her first three seasons at Michigan State, where she was a two-time All-Big Ten pick. Had one goal and six assists last year playing as a defender. She's 5-9 and from Grand Haven, Mich. Her lone goal last fall clinched the ACC regular-season crown for the Cavaliers.

Kristen Hamilton (Denver): A 5-foot-3 forward with a strong resume, I don't know why she lasted this long in the draft but she could be a steal. She was a Hermann Trophy semifinalist and closed her career as Denver's all-time leading scorer with 138 points and 51 goals. She also ranks third with 36 assists. She holds the distinction of being the ONLY athlete in NCAA history to win conference Player of the Year honors in three different leagues (Sun Belt, Summitt League and Western Athletic Conference).

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WNY will have another good year, IMO. This is a solid franchise and still have the best scorer in the league.

I often say that there is no need to play Abby full 90 minutes every USWNT game. There is nothing to be learned there. We know what Abby can do. She can score on anyone, so let the young ones get some playing time. There is Morgan and Leroux and Press and others, but Abby Wambach is still the most dangerous forward in this league and you always have to be aware of that when you play WNY Flash.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    WNY are the Spurs of the league and Abby is obviously Tim Duncan. They never make any splashy news or anything headline worthy but yet every season they are contending for a title. Pretty impressive really

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was confused for a moment because I don't remember ever hearing of Spurs signing a player named Duncan... Then I remembered that when people say "Spurs" in the States they're more likely referring to San Antonio and not Tottenham....

JanBalk repped this.
  13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if you had a Way-Back machine :): John Duncan 53 goals in 103 games for the Spurs 1975-1979.

[​IMG]

14. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    To be fair, Blaze20 said "the Spurs"... and Tottenham is just "Spurs" (no "the").

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He also said it in the "the X of the Y" manner of speech, so it wasn't clear if the "the" was attached. :p (Also, I've heard the basketball team referred to as just "Spurs" often enough.)

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Wow, I never thought the structure of my sentence would be so deconstructed :p.
    P.S I'm a she not a he.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh geez! Sorry... :oops:

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    no problem. I know we are a rare species around these parts

FCKCEvans repped this.
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That must explain the signboard in the background of the Duncan photo, above. :D

20. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    haha. Well I'm not a Spurs fan. I just know I've seen their supports complain when the team is referred to as "The Spurs"

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have a new academic field, "English feminist literary theory"? The French feminist literary theorists are pretty good at deconstructing, but I didn't know the English are, too.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Good luck with that. even though English is my primary language, I'm terrible at grammar.

It's fun to watch the direction what I thought at the time was a pretty clear statement have taken. Next time I'll remember to indicate the city when I'm referring to United

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 CoachJon, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Please do. I actually got this tee shirt for Christmas this year:
    [​IMG]
    CJ

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Still impressed with the Flash Draft, especially for having the last pick in each round.

Courtney Verloo (maybe the most versatile player in the draft. can play pretty much anywhere)
    Cloee Colohan (WNY turned Melinda Mercado into Cloee Colohan, not bad)
    Kelsey Wys (best goalkeeper in the draft by far)
    Annie Steinlage (maybe the most underrated defender taken in the draft, getting her at #27 overall is good)
    Kristen Hamilton (could be this year's Jen Hoy of the 4th round, i.e. may make the league with an impact)

All of these players (collectively) are versatile enough to cover all 11 positions on the field.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good news; there is a lot more talent for defense in this group than I originally thought. I am finding out about these players little by little. On a highlight video of Colohan, I thought she had quite the cannon for a right foot and wondered if she'd give Carli Lloyd a challenge for hardest shot.

.....just a feeling, but Verloo (from Tualatin, OR) may be traded to Portland or Seattle......
    CJ