Flags and sight lines

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by dsheon, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    im with DUff, if you have season tickets you know what to expect and you also know you can switch seats. Mabye not the answer you like, but thats the answer. we in the first couple of rows have flags in front of us and dont complain, i personally would love more big flags and lots mroe flags through all sections.

awwwww he said shenanigins!

2. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    That picture is from a River match. Los Borrachos del Tablon don't give a ********. I've been to the Monumental, and they wave those umbrellas and flags and all sorts of shit all through the game. Truly badass.
    On the other hand, if someone has had season tix in a section prior to the time the Barra started waving flags around (and I believe dsheon's been a season ticket holder for lo these many years), you'd have to be a hard-hearted bastard not to have sympathy for them...they moved in *before* the airport was built, if you will...

...that said, the suggestion to move a section over to be behind the Eagles is probably a good one, since the Eagles don't wave big-ass flags (yet :D) so as not to obstruct people's view of the game during the run of play. Still, it's a suggestion that should be made with the utmost respect, not with a "go jump in a lake" sort of attitude.

3. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I've had my season tickets in these same seats since 1997, along with about 10 friends, long before the flags. And, section 231 is behind the Eagles, not behind the Barra. That places the flags directly between us in 231 and the view of the goal. Please trust me when I say there are hundreds of people annoyed by this. They don't all post, they don't all even read big soccer. They do get pissed off when it happens, and their view is fair. They are all standing. Virtually all of 231 are season ticket holders, though I don't know how many go back as far as we do.
    Just asking nicely, please try to put the flags down during the run of the play when the ball is on your side of the field. Most of the flag holders do a good job, most of the time. Some people last game seemed to have no awareness of the issue. Just trying to speak to them.
    Peace,
    David

4. FCBfan

FCBfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tivo anyone???????????????????????????

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    you're correct, picture is from before the game (but it's not celebration, and it's how it looks during the game too).

celebrations look more like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure 131 is behind SE already.

I don't have a solution. I just like to create problems =)

btw Gaving/James this is exactly what I ment when I said we'll give people heart attack if we lifted that thing for Toronto game and why it has to be made on see through plastic lol

6. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    we need more toys!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    one is probably coming with scarfs :D

8. Gavinmgraham

Gavinmgraham New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    The Bar(ra Brava)
    It'll be down at the first whistle. More or less.

9. fightingamish

fightingamish New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    virginia
    anyone given anythough to erecting a 20 foot high banner thats 2 sections wide in front of 135 and 136 that says the barra logo on the side facing the field and a middle finger facing the seats...we could hold that up for the first 45 minutes, then take a 15 minute break and after that hold it up for the last 45 minutes...just brainstorming

10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah we were going to put that on the barb wire fence before mls nixed that idea :)

11. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    yes it would go down with overhead, but heart attacks will come before then =)

I'm gonna rescue this thread now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

however since it always looks better when there's zillion flags up rather than some in future we'll designate someone like Jairo that when he lifts central big flag then people to his sides raise their big flags which in turns signals the rest to lift smaller flags (that's the way we used to do it anyway). Only problem is getting Jairo to do it less often since, even tho he's south american and we just learned they only go crazy when their team is not playing. During play they all calmly watch =)

12. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have the problem of "randoms" being handed the flags when others get tired. I know I've waved some of the larger flags from time-to-time, and the chance that I was worried (or sober enough to care) about those behind me was slim-to-none.

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    randoms shouldn't be getting large flags anymore, unless it's me :) there are usually several people a game that I can count on to take care of flag from minute 1 to 90.

14. Naptown Barra

Naptown Barra Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Silver Spring ext.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope i'm one of those peoples.:cool:

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    yup :)

16. Naptown Barra

Naptown Barra Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Silver Spring ext.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet! I'll try to have a Guinness to give to ya soon. Cash is hella tight right now.

17. kasdc

kasdc New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [not directly related to the first post, just me pontificating] it's amazing to me how we americans act at sporting events (non-barra of course), even the english get somewhat rowdy between points at wimbledon.

btw srdan... i still think it's an excellent idea for toronto clear plastic or not.

18. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    no problem man, I'll survive ;)

19. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Especially since it's better to bribe Sardine with Heinekins. ;)

20. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Is a Heniekin related to a Heineken? Or is it just something that's akin to a heine? :p:D

21. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, it's a beverage related to heinies. DUH.

22. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Look at the Gambare show on FSC to see how the Japanese supporters do it. The big flagholders are right in front, and I guess they have either titanium or carbon fiber with silk flags because the big banner gets raises up and down in a very short period of time.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    their big flags are bigger than ours and they have to go up and down because there are so many, plus they have a nice drop (we have 4 feet). Of course while mega flags go up and down in front, because past row one there would be nowhere to keep them "smaller" flags are up waving in curva at all times :)

Then again they don't have regular fans behind them :D

24. Blancanieva

Blancanieva New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Alexandria
    no flags tonight?

i can hear the vamos united chant soo clear over CSN tonight

25. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    CLEARLY this thread has had an impact...

(Money says dsheon was also watching on TV tonight ) :p