Fisher moves As to Las Vegas, Quakes next?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Apr 20, 2023.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fisher occasionally sat with the Wolfe family's director chair-seat "box" of eight at Buck Shaw. My seats adjoined theirs from 2009-2014, and I sat right next to Fisher watching a game at least once. He was dressed in a nondescript hoodie. He didn't say anything noteworthy that I recall, but he appeared less engaged than me in the action on the field. Keith Wolfe was fun to watch games with; Lew and Fisher not as much.

mjlee22, SeaJayBee and Boysinblue repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it was the Sharks (whatever their alphabet soup name was) that owned the Quakes in 2001.

3. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I swear you must work in the recycling business because all you do is recycle your posts with different arrangements of the words.

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    my apologies, please feel free to scroll on by and ignore my posts. It’s true, I vent a lot of frustration here…this time of year I find particularly frustrating, I think it’s the cumulative effect of so many crap seasons and seeing how little is being done to improve year after year.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You talking about the Sabres gonna likely miss the NHL playoffs 13 years in a row (since 2011)? :)

ED699E10-1FF9-4072-9D86-DA8CAC7E6867.jpeg

Hint: I'm the one with the beer in his hand. :)

Quakes05 repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    As I said “any success we had was in spite of them not because of them”. Even the acquisition of LD was pushed for during a previous ownership. They stole him from us, after threatening to move the team to San Antonio in 2004, causing The Wee Man to resign, brought in stooge Alexi Lalas to grease the wheels for a move, made half-assed, never serious attempts to build a stadium here and to find a new local owner, then ripped our hearts out and moved the team to Houston. This really isn’t that hard.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    great pic! And that sucks for Sabres fans. Quakes fans can easily empathize.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    SVS&E or something like that?

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not associate something great (high speed rail) with something terrible (A's to Vegas)... Also I believe Brightline West will connect with the planned California high speed rail system somewhere down there (Palmdale?)...

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I am happy about high speed rail though I couldn’t care less about east of LA to Vegas. That’s just about vile people going to a vile place. And why is that probably going to built before the north to south high speed rail we voted for, um, 16 years ago. I only mentioned it in this thread with the tongue-in-cheek suggestion that it will drive A’s attendance.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone make this their profile pic so the rest of us can see it every day...

AI is getting good it only misspelled Fakeulous Las Vegass

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relevant to three threads...

From reddit

"I think people will find this local group documenting the A's relocation fight of note to this move. The Town going to MLSNP has much deeper implications with Fisher and the Quakes and their attempts to go after the Roots and their stadium efforts."

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    "Of course that minor league soccer team would also need a place to play and what better soccer practice field than the one The Roots are looking to purchase that Nate Miley has been delaying."

Apparently this person is not aware of the Fairgrounds project. And I think "where The Town FC plays" is probably somewhere between item 95 and 100 on Fish's "I care about" list. Sure if someone else were dumb enough to build a soccer stadium for a team that might draw 1k on a good day, he'd take that. But otherwise, I don't think he would care.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The former Raiders facility is in the process of being sold to a real estate company called Prologis which has agreed to a long term lease with the Roots. Contrary to the Reddit poster, the Roots never were trying to buy it; they just wanted to be able to keep renting it.

xbhaskarx and JazzyJ repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, great, now we have three different conversations going on the same topic.:thumbsup:

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is almost impressive given how much salaries have gone up...

Oakland A's payroll
    2007: $79M
    2024: $61M
    -18M

And the Quakes still can't pay for a DP CAM

mjlee22 repped this.
  20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That -$18M number over 17 years is obscene. Fisher should be arrested for fraud!

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think the A's payroll has gone up and down over the years, though probably always on the low side. It's just a matter of degree. IOW I don't think it's steadily declined form 79M to 61M over 17 years. There have a been a few times where they thought they could win a championship so they bulked up with signings temporarily to make a run.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-west/oakland-athletics/

22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    absolutely right. he's committing fraud in Oakland and San Jose.

lock him up!

Damo9000 and mjlee22 repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Who has been misled? Where’s the detrimental reliance?

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I think the false pretense is that these teams are in the game to win. Tickets to Fisher sporting events should come with a caveat (a disclaimer): “come for the weather, the tailgate, the Korean BBQ, or to see Krazy George, etc., but don’t expect A’s/Quakes to be a legitimate part of the league wide competition because John Fisher ain’t payin’ for that.”

Then at least consumers wouldn’t be misled into thinking these teams were really a part of competing for anything.

Damo9000 and mjlee22 repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You didn't answer my question. Falsity is one essential element of fraud, but reliance is another. You don't believe Fisher cares about winning, and likely neither does anyone else. Unlikely anyone is being misled.