First WC 2002, now WB 2002......

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bigsmooth, Aug 1, 2002.

1. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Well, WBC 2002.
    Yep, it's the World Basketball Championships (for men), 2002, live from Indianapolis this month.

Info at www.2002worldbasketball.com

I know Pau Gasol, NBA rookie of the year, will be there from Spain, and I think Steve Nash from the Mavs will be there with Canada and his Mavs mate Dirk Nowitzki. I think the Chinese guy who Houston picked number one will be there with the Chinese squad.
    I know Jason Kidd and Kevin Garnett are on the U.S. squad, and I think Reggie Miller is there as well.

2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Hopefully they'll improve that official website soon...only four weeks until the start, and it's still just a promotional website.

I've got tickets for both Saturdays...seeing CAN-YUG and USA-CHN the first weekend and the semifinals the second weeked.

Most teams are starting their preparations...there's a tournament going on in Turkey right now with seven teams who'll be in Indy (plus Bulgaria). Yugoslavia beat Canada 90-79 today, Yugos had their full team except Divac (who will be in Indy last I heard), while Canada was missing Nash and Magloire (MacCulloch won't play because of a foot injury).

US doesn't start training until the 17th.

3. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Interesting -- I had no idea Magloire was Canadian.

How old is Divac? I would think at this stage of his career, unless his country is strapped for players he'd have said au revoir to national team play and would use the NBA offseason strictly for healing, recuperating, etc. Maybe the same pride of playing for country exists in b-ball as it does in soccer.

4. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    MacCulloch?
    The big center for NJ Nets?
    I thought he was from Australia.

5. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

how many nations actually compete....i mean compete...not just turn up

??

6. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    From Toronto...he was the first major recruit out of Canada that I remember.

I actually don't think he's played for Canada since he graduated from high school, but he sounded pretty solid on playing for them this summer.

Divac is 34. He hasn't played for the Yugos since 1999 and this is probably a good chance for a fairwell appearance.

7. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Winnipeg.

8. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I can't get the link to work

Is Australia sending a team?

9. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Aussies were upset by New Zealand in qualifying...

10. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    That's a shame. It would have been fun to see Shane Heal play.

Think Steve Kerr, but even deadlier with the outside shot. For a short white guy, he is pretty good in international competition.

11. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Kidd or Garnett on the roster.

12. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    The US roster is: Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Antonio Davis, Michael Finley, Jason Kidd, Raef LaFrentz, Shawn Marion, Andre Miller, Reggie Miller, Jermaine O'Neal, Paul Pierce, and Ben Wallace.

I've heard that Kidd was considering pulling out to recuperate after the Nets' long season, but nothing definitive.

13. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Jason Kidd has pulled out of the US team, supposedly because he aggravated a groin injury...Baron Davis replaces him.

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a good feeling about Yugoslavia's chances. Hopefully they can knock off the US.