First play-off game

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Lyle, Oct 26, 2003.

1. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i hate to steal this from someone else but it's too appropriate to pass up...

[​IMG]

2. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Even if it does work out, does that make Hanki a genius for screwing with his team for the playoffs and on the day of or day before they start?

Teams are supposed to be settled for the playoffs. You can always sub out Garlick or not start him the next game if he plays bad. But if Cannon and his back four can't get it together, how can Hanki turn to Garlick?

I wonder if Garlick is even on the bench for this game. I'm sure when he was told by Hanki of the switch, he didn't just accept it and go off quietly. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't even on the team anymore. I'll bet Vallow is on the bench tonight.

You think the Wiz are licking their chops for tonight's game just a little bit? This team is in disarray and only one man is to blame: Hankinson.

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I too think the decision is a strange one, that's still a far cry from the team necesarily being in "disarray". Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I remember reading how Garlick was an aloof guy who didn't really intermingle with his teammates that much, and we all know how jocular and jovial Cannon is, and maybe he has already won over the hearts of his teammates, and most importantly, their confidence.

I'm not saying it's so, but it's possible. This does put an incredible amount of pressure on Cannon, who has played so little in the last 9 months.

Makes me nervous.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    By that logic, Chung would have been benched a long time ago.

Fact is that Garlick is one of the most professional and mature guys on the team, has been here longer than most others and never has a problem making public appearances -- during any of which it can be clearly seen that the guy is quite friendly, social "jovial" himself.

Not that any of this matters to what happens on the gield. To me it doesn't even matter what Cannon does between the posts; if the guy pulls brilliant saves out of his ass and the Rapids ride three straight shutouts to the Cup final, then Hankinson shouldn't be praised for this move -- Hankinson should be smacked upside the head for not inserting him sooner, like before the Rapids finished the year with a losing record.

This is not a move that inspires team unity or confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if come 3:00pm today, half the starting lineup doesn't feel 100% confident that they'll be playing tonight.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Who knows how this turns out in the end, but yeah as a Wizards fan I'm licking my chops. I already thought we had a good chance in this series considering the recent form of both teams. But pulling your keeper who played in 26 of your games going into your most important game of the year? I'm left scratching my head.
    Cannon has talent, theres no denying that. Usually a talented keeper will not make stupid mistakes in key games. Saving wise you have to think he's got no problems. If I were a Rapids fan my main concern would be set pieces (which by the way the Wizards got a lot better at this season w/ Conrad). Communication while the ball is in the air can be a problem for any keeper, let alone one who has just 45 minutes of game time with his teammates.
    Should be a fun series, I just hope it stays clean and clear of controversy.