First play-off game

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Lyle, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Iowa
    The MLS site just posted that the first game is Tuesday, November 4th.

Lyle

2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    They anounced it immediately following the game last night. I hope we have a blizzard and win 5-0.

3. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Tuesday Nov 4th

Any idea why this game is not being played on Saturday Nov 1st ?

4. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Re: Tuesday Nov 4th

Broncos play on Nov 3 and I'm sure Bowlen doesn't want the Rapids destroying HIS field. Oh, I'm sorry the taxpayers of Denver's field.

So instead, the Rapids get to play on the field after being destroyed by the Broncos and Pats.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Tuesday Nov 4th

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=613

NFL 101 for Women... A bunch of BS...

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Now I'm offically p'od. The 3 other quarter finals are being played on Saturday nght and we are playing on freaking Tuesday.

No TV for the stretch. A mid week playoff game. I guess I should be happy the game isn't Tuesday morning in a King Sooper parking lot.

Welcome to minor league soccer.

I'm sure the front office is very proud.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they did it to keep all the Wizards fans from getting to Colorado. :D ;)

8. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [sarcasm]

We'd be happy to host both legs...

[/sarcasm]

9. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am pretty pissed that we can't play on Saturday because we have to bow down to Bolen and the Broncos.

But playing this game on Tuesday the 4th makes the best of a really crappy situation. Remember, the other alternatives were thursday the 30th and friday the 31st, games that would have had awful turnouts because of Halloween (particularly Friday). Since Saturday, Sunday & Monday are precluded, I am thrilled that we aren't playing until the 4th.

That way, turnout will suck because its a midweek game rather than the holiday :)

I'm just hoping the Rapids get it together, or else we are going to be humiliated by KC.

And damnit, no more subbing Seth Trembly in for Powell (I thought I saw that on the Sunday gamecast).

10. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    a bunch of us had planned on making the trip out west...I guess that's shot to sh!t now...although I may still try to get out there. Football for Women 101? YOu have to be kidding me. Any other excuse it BS, too, because the field crew can get the truf back into shape in two days.

11. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that this is contrary to the opinions of most others in here, but I'm actually pretty glad that the game is next tuesday because I always have to work on Fri, Sat, and Sun so I NEVER get to go to the games. With this game being on a tuesday I can now go right after school!

Woohoo!

:D

12. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    ahhhh ..... some good news :)

13. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just wanted to mention that it looks as if the second playoff game against KC will be shown live on Fox Sports World (401) at 6:00pm MT. Good news to those who have digital cable and were less than enthusiatic about a 2 hour tape delay on FSRM. Of course this information comes from TIVO which hasn't always proved to be reliable.

14. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    Game 2 will also be shown at 8:00pm on Fox Sports Rocky Mtn. which can be found on regular cable.

15. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Bishop, email or PM me if you make it out here.

16. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the fact that Tuesday night for the match sucks, we always have that light at the end of the tunnel, a new owner and an SSS (geez, sounding like the Burn fans, hope that's not a jinx).

This may be yet another example of the MLS need to switch to FIFA's calendar though. Our league's playoff run is happening in the middle of the NBA's opening month (well, it matters to some, especially the sports media powers that be), NFL in full swing, college football with important games, NHL still going, baseball just ending. The calendar is too full, and soccer gets pushed to the side. Until the calendar is changed, it probably always will.

Still, one day, Rapids fans won't have to worry about sharing the field, we'll get to schedule games on our own time, in our own stadium.

17. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'll tell you what, after today's weather I'm glad the game isn't on Friday. Don't know about you but I don't like to watch soccer in freezing temps.

18. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm trying to scare up more people now, but it seems like a lost cause. I will try my hardest (you guys going to provide a keg like we did for you? :) )

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Rapids' midfield runs circles around the Wizards' midfield, feeds Spennie and CC who pepper Meola with shots, the 'D' tightens up after taking a couple of weeks off, and the team wins going away 2-0 or 3-1.

One can hope, anyway.

20. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do away goals matter in this home and home series (like European matches)? After looking at MLSnet.com and a couple other places to read over the format, no mention of it is made.

If away goals do count, the best thing Colorado can do is get a shutout at home and then make sure and score against KC on the road. If they do that, it becomes a two goal game for KC, much harder to overcome.

Then again, MLS may not be playing like the rest of the world here.

21. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    As far as I can tell, MLS won't be operating under the weighted goals system.

22. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually kinda like our current calendar because during the summer the only sport we have to compete against is baseball. It's much better to compete against one major sport than to compete against four. See what I'm sayin?

23. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    We not only need to win Tuesday but we need to do it by at least a two goal margin to give ourselves a little pad before hitting the road. That would really turn up the heat on KC to perform in game 2.

I agree that our defense will get it back together by Tuesday and our offense will continue to keep firing the shots off.

3-1 Rapids

24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Optimism here.

Tuesday prediction:

Rapids win 2-0. Garlick has a fantastic game with 7 saves.
    Spencer and Chung score.

25. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm going to have to agree. Defense comes out of it's slump and bring their game back to top form and the defense clicks better than they have all year.

Rapids: 3 (3 own goals by Meola)
    Wizards: 0