First "New World" Champion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Trussy in Oz, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    As just about everone knows, the World Cup has only been won by teams from the European or South American Confederations.

My questions are from which, if any, confederation will an alternative world champion appear?

Secondary, as Brazil and Argentina remain the only teams to win the World Cup outside of their own condeferation who will be the first non South American team to achive the same?

On a lighter note I hope that the answer to both questions is Australian, well I can dream can't I?

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It will be an African team, it's only a question of when. The amount of talent the continent produces is tremendous, only a matter of time before one country holds on to enough of them to go all the way.

3. Qaabus

Qaabus New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    You forgot Uruguay :)

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

CONCACAF, of course, and since this is a pro-US board, I think I can speak for everyone when I say that Panama will be the next country that lifts the World Cup.

5. Chris M

Chris M New Member

May 7, 2004
    Liverpool/Sheffield
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Both of Uruguay's wins were in South America.

6. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Either Mexico or a West African team. The west African teams need to get more discipline and organization and overcome their FAs. Mexico plays quite well in tournaments, will always qualify, and have twice been eliminated in PKs. Mexico needs to be able to deal with the northern European power and ariel game and learn to put away games when they play better than their opponent (eg Germany 98). And overcome their horrid PK record.

As for a team winning outside of their continent. Probably a Euro because Bra and Arg hve already done so and all other real WC winning candidates are Euros. But I still suspect the South Africa 2010 will go to either Brazil or Arg.

I think the most likely newcomer from Conmembol would be Colombia and from Europe, how about Sweden. Unlike Holland Spain etc, Sweden do not choke or implode.

7. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I hate the term but if there is anything overrated then it’s African football.

African teams chances of winning the world cup are not any better today than they were in 1990. They are decreasing .

That was probably their best chance.

Pick any African country. How many players they have starting for big European teams?

The possible new World champions:
    1. Spain
    2. Mexico
    3. the Netherlands
    4. Japan
    5. USA

P.S. I know the original poster meant winners from confederations that haven’t won it yet.

8. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Sorry, but the facts don't entirely bear out your argument: Africa has been pretty consistent since 1990, therefore, their chances are about the same, rather than "decreasing." In 1990, in a field of 24 teams, two African teams competed, one of which made the quarterfinals. In 2002, in a field of 32 teams, five African teams qualified, and Senegal made the quarterfinals (losing to Turkey in the 94th minute). In between, Africans had more modest showings, where only Nigeria made it through to the round of 16 in 1994 and 1998.

Regarding your assertion about Africans playing on major European teams, there are a few here and there (a Nigerian and a Cameroonian playing for Chelsea, for instance), but having Aussies all over Europe hasn't helped them a lot, has it? It's a team sport, so while it's good to play in important competitions against quality opponents, it's not everything.

The main obstacle facing African teams (and to a lesser extent, North American teams) is organization and environment. Having your country and its government in upheaval tends to play havoc on your football, no? I think that given stable coaching and a supportive environment, there's no reason why an Africa side can't be WC winners... probably not in 2006, but maybe soon thereafter.

9. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    That is the biggest reason an African team, in all likelihood will not win a WC in the next 20 years. The social, economic and political situation in Africa is not getting better, it’s getting worse.
    Cameroon ’90 still remain the best African team ever.

10. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    I would love to see Oz qualify and do well, after all they are the product of our ancestors over-active loins :)

It would be good for football to play the WC out there, they have the facilities, it would be played in their winter when the weather would be good, the infrastructure is in place, security wouldn't be a problem, it would be massively supported - If only they could qualify this time round, it may become a possibility!

I really hope they do - as I'm as sure, as night follows day, we'll never get it again in my lifetime :(

11. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    "New World" in the first post means NOT from either Europe or South America, not teams who have not won yet. The Confederations (continents) that have not won the World Cup yet are Africa, Ocenaia, Asia and CONCACAF.

I can't think of this topic without smiling and thinking of Pele's declaration in the 70's that "A team from Africa will win the World Cup before the Century is finished." We are still waiting, and will wait for a long time. The Africans are great athletes, but sadly in team sports organization and money is becoming more and more important than in the 80's and 90's when some African teams had some great WC runs and caught some other teams flat-footed. Planning , and a more prepared and varied playing style, has negated this early advantage. Despite the Africans playing better football, that's why I think that the US or Mexico (perhaps as early as 2010), then followed by Japan, Korea and China, will eventually be the first to win the World Cup from other Confederations besides the big two, not an African team.

12. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    beachesl,

Totally agree with your assessment, but one of the African teams (Cameroon ?) could surprise us all. My guess would be Mexico, USA, Japan, Korea in that order. I don't think China is really up to scratch, nor is it improving.

Trussy,

AUS will not even be competitive on the world stage until we fix up our own back yard (eg get rid of some of the prima-donnas in the AUS team) and start delivering (at national team level) on the field, in games that really, really matter (eg against 5th place CONMEBOL team).

Making the WC Finals is our short-sighted objective currently, whereas I'm with Captain Socceroo when he stated repeatedly that we should be planning & working towards winning the WC (along the same lines as what the AUS Olympic committee did in the early 80's).

13. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Andy T,

I agree, we should be working towards winning the thing, afterall we don't turn up at other sporting events glad to be making up the numbers.

14. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    It will eventually happen ,but the Team must have a breakthrough player like Maradona or Pele , It's imposible to predict where that payer will emerge from
    It can be from Mexico where the game is played since 4 yrs old ,or it can be from the U.States where their population size and being an athlete doesnt mean your younger brothers and sisters will go without food .

As to a new Country with a shot at winning it my pick would be Paraguay. It could have easily been Croatia in 98 if they had THE player .
    It could have been Romania with hauge in 94 or Yougoslavia with Christov
    It could have been the Yougoslavia of old ,It should have been holland .

All That good Team like Sweden,Spain,Chec-Republic,Nigeria Mexico needs is that breakthrough player that only comes around every 20 years . I say we're due to see one somewhere.