First Choice Defense?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Serie Zed, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Who are the first-choice defenders in a four man right now?

Who are the first choice defenders in a three-man defense?

Bocanegra and Pope are locks either way, so the questions are really about outside backs with four and a third central defender with three.

2. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Pope (if healthy) and Boca are, I agree, locks for either center defense in a four-man set up for two of the three spots in a three-man back line.

Much as I hate to admit it, I think Califf will still be considered for both a three-man and four-man back line by Bruce.

I also think Gibbs will continue to get looks, mostly as a center back in a four-man back line. He may also work out as the third guy in a three man set up with Pope and Boca.

The outside backs in a 4-4-2 are tougher to figure out. I wonder if DMB will get a run there? Or will the Convey experiment continue? Will Dunivant from SJ get called into some camps? Will Vanney and Dolo stay in the picture?

I seem to have more questions than answers regarding the outside spots...

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as long as bruce is the coach, convey will get chances. :(

but dunivant has slumped pretty good near the end of the season (didn't play in the Greatest Game Ever) and probably won't start on Saturday either. Wonder if Bruce will wait and see how he rebounds next year?

but, you know, Goose looked good at left back in the Greatest Game Ever ... I wonder. :D

oh, and calm down. I was kidding about goose.

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yup, either way, 3 or 4 Pope and Boca are locks. The others aren't so clear, regardless of the formation. I'd say, if we played a game that mattered, a 3-man back would be Pope and Boca with either Berhalter, Califf, or Gibbs.

4-man is even trickier. You get Pope and Boca in the middle. On the right, I'd say the top candidate would be Cherundolo or Frankie. The left is likely either Vanney or seemingly Convey, and Frankie could swing over there if Dolo's playing the right.

There are other candidates, some of whom have gotten a bit of time. Personally, I hope some of them step up and take a spot, especially the left back spot in a 4 man line, but as of now, I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

5. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    The above was about what I figured, too, and I think it strongly points to a 3-man back line, requiring only one marginal player on the pitch rather than two.

We've got a whole mess of high-quality mids and 3-5-2 means you've got more overall quality playing.

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    RIght now: The four man is a trick.

Dolo/Hejduk-Pope-Boca-Vanney.

or

Dolo/Hejduk-Pope-Gibbs-Boca --- not unthinkable

or Dolo-Pope-Boca-Hejduk

or add Convey

A three man would clearly be either Gibbs-Pope-Boca or Onyewu-Pope-Boca. I favor this approch, particularly with Beasley. But we'll need a right wing player.

In fact, that latter 3-man approach is what I would expect to see in 2006.

7. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Ghost--if we go with three in the back, what sort of midfield do we have? If we have two wingbacks, Cherundolo is an obvious fit out right, but the left spot becomes more tricky. DMB doesn't really fit into that role.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned JOB yet. Depending on who emerges in the midfield, we may do well to play JOB in the backline. He's not really ideal in a 3-man backline, but right now he'd fit in well in a 4-4-2. Boca and Pope at center backs, Cherundolo (or Hejduk, perhaps) out right, and JOB at LB. With a 4-man midfield you'd have DMB or Lewis out left, Reyna somewhere in the middle, Donovan out right or at the a-mid (unless he's playing up top), and possibly someone like Convey or Martino playing a-mid. So instead of automatically going 3-5-2 because of out midfield strength, maybe slide JOB back, depending on our personnel and competition.

8. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were up to me and there was a game on the line, I would want my back four to look like this:

Cherundolo - Pope - Bocanegra - Vanney

Dolo and Vanney are playing all 90 for their respective clubs most of the time in leagues that are of a higher quality than MLS (hate to say it, but it's true). If they're getting regular time with their clubs, it means they're in good form.

Pope and Boca are simply the two most solid defenders we have - bar none. As a backup I'd have Gibbs and Berhalter ready and waiting.

9. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    All healthy and available, this is your starting defense for the next year:

Convey-Bocanegra-Pope-Cherundolo

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Nobody had mentioned Gooch or Yi? They have been playing well and dserve a shot, espically as the 3rd back if we are going with 3. I also hate the idea of wasting John O'Brien in the back. He is too important to our team to leave in back. The same goes for DMB.

But right now:

Gibbs---Boca---Pope---Dolo.

11. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Reyna Pope Bocanegra O'Brien

12. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I hope you're right. Because if you are, that means we've had some very good players surface for midfield. That also means we'll have the best back line possible with our players.

13. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I don't understand this fascination with Convey. He has done very little in MLS. I am tired of DC fans telling us how great he is. It is high time his performance matches his hype. Don't get me wrong, he definitely has potential and at times it shows. However, until he is a consistent performer, I don't want him on the team.

14. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    What disturbs me is this is a guy who's played LB like once or twice in his life, and only with the NATs and never with his club team.

I mean, this ain't Italy or France, but you'd think the USA would have a proven LB (JOB aside) on the club level who could come into the Nats without having to learn his role while on international duty.

I would think that Vanney in this respect would be better prepared to play the part. Though I haven't seen much of him, I'd think a starter at a midtable team in Ligue 1 would be better at his own position than an occasionally starting midfielder for one of the worst teams in MLS.

I'm not saying Convey couldn't develop into a fine leftback. But I'd just like to see the development occur at the club level rather than in the heat of WC qualifying with the Nats.

15. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Yeah, I noticed that he faded near the end of the year too. But he was solid and started the vast majority of SJ's games this year. Maybe he hit a rookie wall, like some 1st year NFL players do? I noticed Rico Clark faded a bit down the stretch too.

Any SJ fans care to comment on Dunivant?

16. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Hopefully Dunivant will show well at left back when he gets his chance. Vanney has had his chance, Gibbs is too technically deficient to play the position in Bruce's system, and Convey is a midfielder. At right back hopefully Onyewu will get a look. Cherundolo seems to be playing like crap for Hannover this year. Arena should try something like this for his next friendly:

Onyewu-Pope-Boca-Dunivant

17. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea what has become of Gbandi?

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Since when have DC fans ever told you how great he is? If anything, we've been his toughest critics.

Do you have a link to a thread started by a DC fan on how Convey should start for the USA? I honestly cannot remember ANY sort of thread.

:confused:

19. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

He's been spending the year in Purgatory.....err, Southlake.

20. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

You're giving up on him already?

21. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I don't understand this fascination with Convey. He has done very little in MLS. I am tired of DC fans telling us how great he is. It is high time his performance matches his hype. Don't get me wrong, he definitely has potential and at times it shows. However, until he is a consistent performer, I don't want him on the team.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I totally agree with the above statement. I can not believe that we don't have anyone in mls or overseas at LB..He has not shown to be above other players to be tried at that position. Players on all the mls teams at that position should be given a call up first

22. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Two experienced left backs, Vanney and Barrett, should be provided theopportunity to compete for the LB position.

Both are starters in Europe and both were shown to be outstanding performers in MLS.

All experiments aside, experience and demonstrated performance should be factors in earning a shot.

23. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    How many more chance does Vanney need? There are idiots on these boards that think Twellman has had enough chances and has basically shown himself not to be international material. Vanney is the epitomy of this. A good club player, but an absolute *#*#*#*# nats player. Barrett is hardly ever a starter for his Danish club and has basically been a bust for them. Both of these guys need to be forgotten about. Dunivant and Gbandi have a lot more talent than either of these guys. They just need some experience in friendlies and early qualification matches.

24. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Both Vanney and Barrett are and have been consistent starters for their respective clubs. Barring injury, both are in the starting lineup.

25. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Care to wager about Barrett being a consistent starter?