First Aid Kit for MBB

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Pittsburgh Ref, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    So yesterday in my O50 game a valiant defender went up for a header and got his scalp split when he and and attacker konked heads. He's okay, took a couple staples and AFAIK that's the end of it...no concussion seems indicated, etc.

We had a first aid kit (one of those $20 pre-made ones), and ice packs, and a guy on the other team had a wrap we used to hold the ice pack over what was left of the gauze in the kit after we'd stanched the flow of blood a bit. Basically that kit was not varsity material, for yesterday's event.

Other than a nice Pilsner, anybody got ideas about how you'd make a first-aid kit? 4x4s, tape, wraps, ice, and plenty of them seem good to start. Figured I'd crowd-source, maybe some of you guys have recipes.

dadman repped this.
  2. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    What's wrong with the pilsner? As long as it is cold:
    The bottle can be used as an ice pack, or to apply pressure
    The contents can be used as a mild antiseptic, or a mild analgesic

If nobody gets injured, it can have it's usual use post-game,

Winning all around.

Law5, roby, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  3. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Apologies. I should have said, "Other than nice Pilsner, of which we always have plenty, ..."

dadman repped this.
  4. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Back when I coached girls club, I made up my own. Used a 6"x10"x3" (or so) toiletries/accessories travel bag stuffed with:

- all sorts of band-aids from medium to super-jumbo size, sensitive skin & heavy-duty, butterfly's, etc.
    - red pre-wrap
    - gauze rolls & various sized pads
    - antiseptic wash
    - triple antibiotic ointment
    - hand sanitizer
    - elastic adhesive tape
    - ace wraps
    - 4" wide elastic wraps w/velcro to hold ice packs in place
    - some wide tongue depressors
    - scissors, tweezers, pocket-knife
    - tylenol & ibuprofen
    - non-latex gloves
    - wet wipes packets (usually w/B-Dubs logo)
    - as they got older, some emergency feminine supplies (daughter told her teammates where to find them and to not involve me!)
    - kept the chem ice packs in backpack.

I've pared it down a bit for my ref bag.

Pittsburgh Ref and dadman repped this.
  5. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    All schools here are required to have an AED on site at every athletic contest. I was in the crowd at a JV basketball game when a ref went down and the trainer brought him back.

Particularly if you are at a facility that isn't generally well staffed and you are doing adult games, I'd recommend asking 1. if there is an AED at the facility, 2. if so where is it, and 3. can I get a quick tutorial?

I also keep my CPR current.

dadman and Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My bro coaches at a local D2 college and their athletic training staff has peroxide or some type of mixture that removes blood from jerseys. I would carry some of that stuff for the team you have. I know when I work a couple of college showcases and they have athletic trainers there they have a mixture that can be applied to the jersey and brings out the blood.

7. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    There's a mixture you can buy pre-mixed. I've used it as a coach and it's freaking magic at getting blood out.
    Highly recommend