Fireworks Party @ Ed’s House - The Bruno Fernandes Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Naboomagnoli, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We might have not bought him if it werent for injuries... Scary how deluded Ed n party are...

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 Ashur, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    The guy's not just good, but he's seriously likeable as well. True commitment, care and leadership on display.

No knock on the other players subbed who went down the tunnel btw: they did as they were told. Just another example of the type of person Bruno is.
    Been talking about finding our own gems the way Pool have in recent years and there is little doubt that he is ours. Hopefully, with more to come after him as soon as this summer...

Anonymous_United repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise (given how seamlessly he settled), entirely deserved.
    upload_2020-3-1_7-13-54.png

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-3-2_16-26-28.png
    Am really looking forward to see him combine with Pogs (even if it's just for a couple of months). And even more so, see what he does next season, when Rashford comes back, we hopefully have added a couple more big pieces in the team and he's had a (full?) preseason under his belt.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the other good one was "he can't be very good. no one else is in for him"

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think that's disingenuous.

The point was, why is nobody else in for him? To this day, that isnt entirely clear. Either they were, and he simply wanted only us and wasnt interested in other teams. Or?

7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Spurs were in for him last summer..

8. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sure, but it's not clear why he didnt move.

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Because Eriksen and Lo Celso maybe? Even though things werent looking good for Eriksen, you never know as far as stocking too many no 10's.

10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Penny pinching, I thought.

Was anyone in for Luis Suarez besides Liverpool? I seem to recall vague links with other teams but Liverpool were given a pretty clear run. I think teams are automatically more hesitant when a player is posting huge numbers in a lesser league. There's no clear algorithm to translate Dutch or Portuguese goals into Prem currency. if Bruno was tearing it up for the NT then maybe he'd have had more attention, but the Portugal setup is designed to get so little out of its attacking talent.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    no one was in for Ndombele either.

it truly means nothing but it's the usual nonsense just like prem proven, from smaller league, not big enough, hasn't won anything etc. etc.

12. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Saurez already had baggage.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be fair, Ndombele has been utter garbage since moving to Spurs. I thought they pulled off a big coup getting him unchallenged but he’s looked bad and worse he’s given very little effort in a lot of the games I’ve watched. There’s even video of him against Wolves floating around where he is basically jogging around the pitching doing ******** all.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So... Bruno has clearly been immense since joining but just to play devils advocate is anyone worried about his giveaways against better teams? While he’s creating a ton of chances and basically making things tick in the final 3rd, he also gives the ball away a ton trying to force things. I’m fine with the give and take that comes with this type of player but I do worry about better teams punishing us for it. It also highlights our need for a proper 6 in my opinion.

Anonymous_United and thenamestsam repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    No because we let Sánchez do it for a year and a half without any benefit

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm definitely of the opinion that people are getting a bit ahead of themselves in praising him. He has been good for sure so far but a lot of the superlatives seem a bit unearned to me, and I think are primarily the impact of him being a bit fortunate in his production so far (and that people always overrate new signings at first just because of that new car smell). He's got the 3 goals, but 2 of them are penalties and the other one should have been saved. The assists are also inflated by good finishing; 2 assists from 0.7 xA so far.

In terms of give-aways it's not only the passing that irks slightly but also some undisciplined shooting from poor positions - he has taken 22 shots so far, only 8 on target and for a grand total of 1.3 xG. That's a quite low rate per shot and consistent with how he played in Portugal. Passing % not great as we expected.

I think stylistically right now it mostly works because our attack was so bereft of ideas (even more so with Rashford out) that having a player try things even if they're relatively low percentage is an okay gamble. A hopeful long range effort is often more than we were creating from settled possession previously so it doesn't look so bad, and of course when they fly in everyone will sing his praises even if it's generally not a high percentage play.

In that sense it has been a fairly easy adaptation process for him because while it's of course a bigger league, he's still being put in position where he can be the main man and effectively do as he pleases. I think the real questions around his give-aways will surface more when (hopefully) we have a better team with more options to create in attack. At that point I do think he will have to play a more consistent style and I think it's an open question whether he has the decision making to do so.

jnielsen and Chaz Striker repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #117 Ashur, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Putting the stats and numbers aside, what Bruno has provided to the team apart from a creative outlet that was seriously lacking in the team, are intangibles such as determination, leadership and drive.
    We've seen from day 1 the influence he's had on the players around him in terms of instructing them on where to be, what type of runs he expects them to make and so on. Those qualities alone have made him a very valuable addition already. We always knew about the potential for high giveaways and as it's been mentioned before, with the way he plays, that will come with the territory.
    Furthermore, we are nowhere near at full strength at this time and it stands to reason that his impact could be even greater once Pogba returns to the fold also. But it is also critical that the rebuild continues in earnest in the summer: we can not repeat the same mistake that was made with Pogba, where we failed to add quality pieces around him.
    There is only so much that one player can do before other teams adapt and start finding ways to slow him down. There is simply no denying that Bruno has been a clear success so far. And for it to continue, the club can not rest on their laurels in the belief that he's enough, because it's simply not the case.

18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    You've almost answered your own question. I don't think the analysis of his pass completion really holds water when he is being given a role that specifically demands that he has a lower pass completion rate. I also think part of the problem with analysing xG from range is that any calculation based on an average level of ability is going to skew low when you're considerably above average, making it look like poorer decision making than it is.

I get the urge to show restraint but this only really demonstrates how basic stats like these cannot be used alone. It's the tail wagging the dog to say we should be cautious because of his pass completion stats - we should be saying that his effectiveness shows why gauging pass completion stats based on 'higher = better' is too primitive.

FWIW, his pass completion against Everton was 72% (diamond formation, poor performances from the front two, collectively poor 2nd half). Against Watford it was 72% (1 goal, 1 assist, 1 assist of the assist). Against Wolves and Chelsea, where we played 3-4-1-2 and had fewer options to pass forward to, it was 82% and 80%. I can't see what his figures are against Brugge in the 2nd leg.

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Jose has already started ********ing with him, so im assuming he's unhappy already.
    Im not bothered. Mainly because if he became more conservative we would not do anything.

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My inclination is to say he has been really, really good.

However I am aware I must be suffering from some recency bias - having been made to suffer watching Lingard and AP struggle for so long. Had almost forgotten what watching a quality 8/10 was like :)

More or less he has been as above average as they have been below average - so with perspective would probably downgrade it to a solid good.

More to come from him though as we get more players back to play around him, as he is a catalyst - a key player in a key role :)

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bruno hasn't been as good as his results have been. But while he hasn't been great, he's been good and the good has come in areas where we've been criminally short of quality so his impact is actually bigger than his performance.

If we get rid of Pogba, we definitely need to add a quality ball-progressing holding midfielder.

I'm sad to think Pogba will leave because we'd finally have a quality midfield or a pair of quality midfielders that can progress the ball and create chances. I think they'd both benefit from each other's presence as well.

As for why teams weren't in for him... he's in a weird kinda sweet spot. He's got obvious quality that would help many teams, but he's not elite outside of set pieces. He's better than say an Everton level of player, but not good enough to fit with a Chelsea (3rd/4th with cup runs and europe and hopes of a trophy every other season). But his wages and profile don't match smaller clubs even if he's not a great fit for a Madrid or a Barca type of team.

A team like United, in a rebuild, trying to find our identity with an emphasis on attacking and creating a lot of chances is a good fit for him.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on Bruno being a Prem PotM nominee.
    upload_2020-3-6_7-23-18.png

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perfect examples of the previously made point about what Fernandes has brought to our team beyond his abilities on the pitch. The drive, the desire to excel: you clearly get the feeling he'll do his utmost to make the club successful in his watch.

Deadtigers and jnielsen repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States