News: Fire's Bakary Soumare wants to play for U.S.!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by S.Nova, Sep 11, 2008.

1. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Malian, A Uruguayan and a Mexican walk into a bar...(stop me if you've heard this one) ...

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't make me turn this thread around.

Seriously though guys, please try to keep it civil.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Why are people arguing whether Nery Castillo is mexican or not on the USMNT N+A board?!?!?

He wears the green jersey so ******** him.

Thats all that matters.

4. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Don't blame me. I am just defending myself ( wink, wink ).

I said; " I have no problem with immigrants playing for their new nation."

5. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw i think soumare might be our #3 guy ahead of subotic now...

i think if subotic gets that pending appeal to play for germany through...we are going to lose a very valuable player =(...but i have open arms for soumare!!!

6. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Does Soumare? Have a Green Card? Or already a US citizen?

7. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Uruguayan culture is different next most Latin America, We're Europeans with African Art and Culture and hold some aboriginal tradition of drink herb ( yerba mate ). There's no international foods in Uruguay, Uruguayans stick their national food and crafts. We don't allow yourself be outside River Plate Culture.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/10/post-2.html#more

AJ- I hadn't seen Bakary Soumare before the recent Fire-Galaxy match up, and I was very impressed.

When he becomes a US Citizen according to your recent report, where do you see him with the US National Team? I know he was playing central defense and at 6-4, he definitely fits there, but I have read that he can play defensive midfield and he looked very strong on the ball and made a decent run with it at one point as well.

IVES- I think Soumare could one day be an option as a defensive midfielder on the national team. Right now he's a center back for the Fire because they need him there, but I think he could flourish as a defensive midfielder if given the opportunity. Would he start for the U.S. team? That's a tough one, but he's young, has great tools and is passionate about the game. It wouldn't shock me if he were starting in 2014.

Paging Mr. Martin ...

9. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Look, the same Europeans live in Mexico and yeah...they still stick to the European roots and what-not. They're still Mexican. Even the Mennonites...actually, especially the Mennonites.

Mexico like every other damn nation in the Americas is a nation of immigrants. So yeah...it really shouldn't be an issue. It's not like I dunno, Alex playing for Japan.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I personnaly do not think Bakary Soumare has good enough ball skills to play DM at the international level. I would like him in the mix at Central Defense competing against Onyewu, Bocanegra, Subotic, Marshall etc.

11. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that I particularly favor huge defenders, but those names would have to give us one of the largest arrays of center backs in the world. Bocanegra would be the absolute runt at 6'. While we're at it, why don't we just naturalize Andy Iro as well?