News: Fire TBD - the Next Coach Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How might Vanney's departure from Toronto FC affect our search? Might not some (all?) of our present coaching contenders get in line to apply for the newly vacant position in Toronto? Salary issues aside, I think a principal calculation will be the pressure of attempting to match Vanney's record with Toronto vs. the easier task of bettering Olsen's record with DC United.

2. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flores
    Gressel
    Maybe Felipe?

4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    With openings in LA(not for long?), Toronto and Atlanta, I can't imagine anyone of quality is going to be taking out job any time soon. Those are three teams that spend and two of them have spent fairly well. All 3 have titles in the last 10 years. How much crack was Dunseth smoking to suggest Vaney wanted to come here? Its prolly the first time ever I've agreed with Ryan Keefer. Do we want any veteran coach who actually wants this job right now? Straight no on Armas.

5. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA, TFC and ATL shop at different stores than DCU does. I doubt their coaching searches will affect what we are doing.

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #306 pr0ner, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    ATL is probably going to hire someone out of Argentina again.

Is Greg Vanney to LA really shopping at a different store than DCU?

And then there's this for TFC:

7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen as a former coach of the year and veteran MLS coach of 10 seasons should be fielding calls like this. There aren't that many guys out there with his experience, as mixed as it was.

keller4president and pr0ner repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Agree completely.

I'd love to see how good he could do with the backing of an A1 front office who is willing to spend.

tallguy, PSURoss and fatbastard repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But long-time assistant Chad Ashton took Ben's roster and did much better than expected (and much better than Ben) with it. I think Ben is going to have a hard time finding a coaching gig in MLS.

10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but how much of that was a new coach bounce (regardless of who that coach is) and how much of it is Ashton himself?

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    New Coach Bounce followed by Reverting to the Norm

keller4president and GumbyG repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read that Ashton basically ran the practices during Ben' tenure, so I'm not sure that the concept of a "new coach bounce" applies here. I do believe what I said shortly after Ashton took over: Ben played not to lose while Ashton played to win.

Dizi and GumbyG repped this.
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I mean, they have resuscitated a cadaver like De Leon to a good player, so anything is possible...

benni... repped this.
  14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I agree. Ben won't likely last through the first round or two, but per form any club that doesn't have a history of plucking overpriced coaches from overseas would be negligent to not call. Just consider at the likely slate of (US based) replacements we're looking at. Ben's got more experience in MLS than the lot of them put together. The only reason he's not at the top of our list is that Levien doesn't suffer from short term memory damage, or is, at least, really good at leaving himself notes.

15. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Vanney to LA is a different store because a coach with that resume and price tag won’t consider coming here in the first place. Those teams are shopping in the luxury good store and we are at five below.

Theopisa, song219 and GumbyG repped this.
  16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something we've become all to familiar with.

[​IMG]

keller4president and Winoman repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vanney says he's leaving TFC because there's nothing left for him to build there.

LA Galaxy is definitely very much a building project for him. DC United would be, too. I am sure if Vanney had been available when DC was starting its search, and LA didn't have an opening, Vanney would be on it, and he'd be intrigued by the possibility. It's not like DC's list hasn't had ambitious names on it this time (Wagner, Howe, Borrell).

18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy ownership and front office is chock full of individuals with deep experience in soccer at many levels. DC United's ownership and FO isn't. This difference will be huge in any prospective coach's assessment of which team is the better target.

Theopisa repped this.
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The LA Galaxy are a dumpster fire right now. Sure they have money to spend but they aren't spending it wisely, as evidenced by them missing the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons (one of which they had Zlatan!). You'll have to try harder to show me that whatever management they have in place are in better shape than DC United other than having more money to spend.

Winoman and John L repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    As Reverend Ike said many years ago, money is not the root of evil, LACK of money is the root of all evil. You can’t lose with the stuff I use.

Winoman, Theopisa and TowsonDad repped this.
  21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff reports that Chris Armas is the leading contender.

22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going from Benny to the guy that got fired for losing to Benny.

Given where we are as an organization it's not surprising that our options were limited but this is a pretty uninspiring hire.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sometimes wonder whether or not this club is just toying with my emotions.

sitruc, Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  24. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This organization is a complete joke, I don't get MLS owners fixation with failed retreads

Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  25. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible this entire reality is just a construct of your consciousness. You sick, masochistic bastard. :ROFLMAO:

superdave repped this.