News: Fire TBD - the Next Coach Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Oct 8, 2020.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I edited your post but we know this isn't happening at least anytime soon.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just discovered that United has a "Technical Director," Stuart Mairs, who is slotted between Kasper and Ashton in the hierarchy. He is supposed to "manage and oversee coach development." Who knew? And what's been the result?

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, DCU has developed several coaches. For other teams ;) That quote does not contain anything saying it's to develop them for ourselves :rolleyes:

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Those would have been awesome.

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that Schalke's woes would have sunk Wagner, but Howe might have been an excellent choice.

7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incompetence tends to feed on itself and then attempts to reproduce, thus spawning future generations of incompetence. It’s Mother Nature’s way of creating food for higher life forms.

jjsocr and griffin1108 repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiring Jill Ellis would certainly send a message, but it might not translate into success on the pitch. Venturing gingerly into dangerous territory, I wonder how our Latino players would react to a female head coach, especially one whose spouse is also female. I just don't think they are likely to be as "woke" as native-born players. But if they could buy in I think it might work. Yes, Ellis has had the luxury of coaching the talent-laden USWNT and won't have that advantage here, but she also expects excellence, and it could rub off. Better still, she seems really to be interested, even knowing how different a mid-mediocre men's team is to her talent-rich women's national team.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think the much larger issue with Ellis is that she has no coaching experience with a club. Her teams always have been assembled from the very best of the best. In other words, she had to turn away talent, not hunt the bargain bin for undiscovered treasures like DCU does. In some ways despite her success and tactical acumen, she would be a "new hire" like Olsen in that she would be learning many things on the job. I just think that the fact that she would be looking down the bench at the Axel Sjobergs of the world for subs or injury replacements rather than a player that would be starting on any club in the world would be a real culture shock.

jjsocr, Theopisa, Eastern Bear and 5 others repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She had a very successful record as a college coach, where she didn't necessarily have the best of the best, but I take your point.

11. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    I hope her tactics don’t suck. Would hate to get halfway through the season and call her tactics “Bennyball with a bra”

Theopisa repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I strongly disliked Ellis as the national team coach.

benni... repped this.
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL

14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank God she won, imagine if she didn't...

Winoman, griffin1108 and shawn12011 repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Everyone would have known I was right.

fatbastard repped this.
  16. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    one can win despite the coach, although the team's record with her at the helm would indicate that was not the situation.....

17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes, the team had extremely talented players. But at that level it was more managing egos and personalities. The most remarkable thing was managing the team transitioning from the previous generation (Carli Lloyd) to the next (Rapinoe, Ertz, etc).

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ezra on what he was was doing coaching Sounders 2:

Eastern Bear, Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff says Pat Noonan (Phiily Asst. Coach) is now in the mix. Discuss.

21. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, he's an assistant to the current Coach of the Year, so there's that. You never know how stuff rubs off, but Curtin is one of the top 5 coaches in the league, I'd rate maybe Pareja, Vanney, Vermes and Bradley over him. I think right now, he's better than Arena and Porter.

22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff reports that Asst. Coach Nolan Sheldon is leaving to take a similar slot at expansion side Austin FC, joining former DC United players Josh Wolff (Head Coach) and Davy Arnaud (Asst. Coach). He probably figured that a new coach here would be unlikely to retain him. Sorry to see him go - I think he was pretty competent.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Of the finalists, there are several good options. Hendrickson, Pineda, and Noonan would all be great. Pineda would have the upside of speaking Spanish and attracting Central American/South American talent.

Of these options, Hendrickson has the most coaching experience (12 years), followed by Noonan with 7 years as an assistant, and 3 years for Pineda. So Ezra and Pat have the edge in experience.

Chris Armas did win the supporters' shield in 2018, but he came in half-way through the season after taking over for Jesse Marsch, who largely built that team.

24. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    What a good interview. I cannot imagine our 1-2 press guys asking questions like that.

GumbyG, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  25. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Agreed. Articulate, expresses actual information and answers questions. Quite frankly, haven't seen that in over 10 years here.

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.