Fire TBD! - New Coach Discussion

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought we could do with a thread specifically centered on who our new head coach might be.

Current names thrown out (some more realistic than others):
    • Greg Berhalter
    • Caleb Porter
    • A returning Bruce Arena
    • Dave Sarachan
    • Klinsi
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Dominic Kinnear

FlapJack, WarGalaxy, luigi-55 and 3 others repped this.
  2. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Guillermo Schelotto!

napper and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    • Greg Berhalter
    • Caleb Porter
    • A returning Bruce Arena
    • Dave Sarachan
    • Klinsi
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Zinedine Zidane :ROFLMAO:
    • Dominic Kinnear
    • Guillermo Schelotto
    The thing about that list that is disappointing is there’s no one on there that I would move heaven and earth to get.

Berhalter didn’t do well in Norway. Has done respectably well in MLS with an owner actively working against him, but hasn’t won anything. I like his attitude and if nothing else recognizing Gyasi is a striker and playing him as a striker rather than moving players around the pitch to get the most expensive ones on the field regardless of tactics. His connection to the Galaxy/AEG is a plus, but AEG desire to get names on the field might conflict with Gregg’s plan to build a team.

Porter. Personally I find him grating, but professionally as mentioned in another thread his tenure with Portland was wildly inconsistent from season to season and he has no professional experience outside of his time with Portland. That he’s gone an entire year without getting a look from any of the teams in need of a coach is also a bit of a red flag for me.

Bruce … easy to say he’s lost the passion for the game and looked bored in his final season with LA, but he was always a laconic figure. Still if the last 14 months have proven anything, going back to the well is probably not a good idea.

Sarachan. If LA had hired him after Bruce left I think he’d still be the coach today, we wouldn’t have missed the playoffs; we wouldn’t be world beaters and everyone here would probably be calling for his head because we hadn’t won an MLS Cup, but we wouldn’t be a laughing stock. I gather from Dave’s resignation bridges were burned when it was made clear he wouldn’t be taking over for Bruce.

Klinsmann. Sigh, I don’t think he’s a very good manager, but he’s a decent one. I think he could conceivably be someone to get LA stabilized and ready for a good manager. Then again I thought similar things about Sigi.

Wegner. No, the game has passed him by. Besides he’s Arsenal.

Zidane, aside from being totally unrealistic, has had success with one of the most loaded teams in history. Other coaches failed to get the best from those players, but still you’re starting 10 meters ahead of most of the rest of the teams in the world. His tenure with Madrid B is probably a more realistic assessment of his talents.

Kinnear. I’m so-so on Kinnear, he was clearly the brains of San Jose’s first dynasty and arguably the architect of 4 MLS Cup wins and two additional MLS Cup Final appearances. Houston didn’t really back him towards the end and San Jose is a fundamentally dysfunctional institution. I just don’t know if Kinnear was hamstrung by his front office or has lost his touch.

Schelotto is probably the most interesting name on the list for me. He knows MLS though he hasn’t coached here. He’s done well with Boca finishing 1st in the past two seasons and he looks like he won a Copa Sudamerica as well as runners up and and two 3rd place league finishes with Lanus.

Berhalter is the safest choice. Porter is the easiest. Schelotto is the one with the most upside.

TrueCrew, Berks, patopreto and 16 others repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

WarGalaxy and napper repped this.
  5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. I agree with pretty much all your thinking though I'd take a hard line no on Klinsmann, Bruce and Kinnear.

I hope we really do take time to do a thorough search, though. No rush to hire someone until when we have to decide on contracts around November/December. We need to see how the USMNT search goes as well.

My guess is if Berhalter is hired by the USMNT, we hire Porter. If not, we get Berhalter.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thierry Henry has also been mentioned as well.

7. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Famous and European. I hope PV doesn't see this after eating candy. Chris Klein will never be able to get him down for his afternoon nap.

skydog, hav77, rokstedy and 1 other person repped this.
  8. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Fire Dom Thread?

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems superfluous unless he becomes more than "interim" and any "reverse-jinx" magic has clearly worn off at this point.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  10. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie Keane!

TrickHog repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Steven Gerrard?

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's Jason Kreis? His last two jobs have been flops, but what he did at RSL was extremely impressive.

Even if you're of the opinion that Klinsmann was a solid international coach (and putting my extreme distaste for him aside, he had some merits there) he was a disastrous club coach.

13. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I am starting to think of Jason Kreis like I think of Frank Yallop - they both got lucky once with small market teams where everything worked out for them. But they both failed repeatedly to recreate their success. Time to move on.

Move heaven and Earth and get Schelotto. If for no other reason then all the young Argentinian talent he will bring with him. Somebody has to do the FO's job for them.

14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, Kreis seems to have fallen out of favour in recent times.

I wouldn't be against him but I would want a stellar GM finding him talent to work with.

15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well on top of his success with Boca, he did win the Copa Sudamericana with Lanus. I could get behind him.

73Bruin repped this.
  16. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Got it. How about the following:

GM: @GalaxyKoa
    Managers: Joint managers of @MPNumber9, @Skevin, @skydog, and @Lazy Assed Assassin

Us fans will benefit by having almost direct access to how the team plays. New tag line can be, By the Fans, for the Fans. Then @TrickHog can play his coveted RB position. But he'd just have to realize that we won't go easy on him after getting beat or sending in a floaty fluffy cross into the box.

Berks, skydog, MPNumber9 and 3 others repped this.
  17. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want GBS.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would demand the immediate firing of anyone stupid enough to sign me.

Berks, rokstedy, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  19. Guardien

Guardien Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Alpharetta, Georgia
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    I would never play for a manager who would have me as a player. - Groucho Marx (heavily paraphrased)

Beakmon FC, The Cadaver, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If all these rumors popping up on twitter are to be believed, our FO is really cancerous to the team. I don't feel confident whoever we sign will have the full backing of the higher ups. Klein and Vagenas seem to want everyone know they are in charge.

73Bruin repped this.
  21. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For all of you that want GBS:

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sport...y-la-220929567.html?__twitter_impression=true

A lot of great tidbits. We may have reached out to Schelotto but he's close to Sigi. Sigi's going to tell him the FO is a dumpster fire (though if he does the slightest research himself he'll figure it out) and likely reject the job.

Porter or Berhalter.

Berhalter takes the US and Porter the Galaxy (just my prediction). After years of being a club with a good reputation Pete and Klein have ruined that. As much as we want an outside the box hire, everyone is well aware of the dysfunction of the organization. Only someone willing to work with Klein will take it.

The article has some Sigi/Ibra tidbits too.

napper, kaburu, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Excellent analysis - especially considering it was authored by a lazy assed assassin.

23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Links s'il vous plait...?

TrickHog repped this.
  24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Berks, 73Bruin, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  25. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If our votes count for anything, put me down for Caleb Porter.

I think hiring an Argentine to hire a bunch of young surplus-to-needs Argentines would go about as well as hiring a bunch of surplus Norwegians (or other Scandinavians we seem to have brought in the last few years).