Fire Stadium Candidates: Bridgeview, Bridgeport, Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by alf, Oct 12, 2003.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It's not been really specified and there may be several possibilities. Most the stories mention Pershing Road (39th Street) and the Dan Ryan Expressway though.

2. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    A short article chock-full of info:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yrtwn/swest/233swyt4.htm

3. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Since he said that they won't be rushed into things, we're really looking at December/January at the earliest for decision time, right?

4. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    The Fire may not reach a decison by the MLS cup, but they will at least communicate with fans about what's going on.

I personally think that by MLS cup, they will commit to a SSS at either new location, but not have the final choice.

It pretty exciting that Anschutz is in Chicago making site visits. It means the time when he will commit to take dollars out of his pocket (or not) is fast approaching.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems to be the best place to thank Wolves1935 for the latest addition to my sig.

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Well, I agree that few will go see the Burn even after their stadium is built.

7. chitowndoll

chitowndoll New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    MDSC HQ: design dept.
    here's my vote: stadium next to sox park. HALLA!

either that OR, a hover-stadium, that way no groundbreaking is necessary. OR we could build a small peninsula into lake michigan, so it would be an island stadium. OR we could build it on top of good ol meigs field.

8. I'm not going to say that we had anything to do with it, but the MDSC's politcal wing (usually referred to as the "No Pants" Party) were given frequent audiences with Mayor Daley shortly before the Meiggs affair.

Help us help you.

(paid for by AmeriKäns Against Slacks)

9. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    ^
    I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Maybe its reactionary but I'm putting my non-vote in for anywhere but SF.

10. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Even if it means somewhere like Naperville?

Is there an offshoot of the MDSC party called "Pants Party"? 'Cause I'd be down with that.

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Heresy

I know its not the orthodox view but...Do we really want our cityscape to be the ass-end of the worst stadium in baseball?

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Heresy

Well, I think it's been brought up before, but even if we are directly on the south end abutting Comiskey (which I doubt would be the case) there are ways to orient the stadium where you could have an excellent view.

If the stadium was a good block or so directly south you could tilt it easily 15-20 degrees east on a N-S axis and get the skyline and lakefront.

If it was any measure at all east or west as well as south, you could even have a straight N-S orientation with minimal obstruction if the design was right. I'm sure if this is the selected site, all will be taken into consideration by the architect.

13. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Well, I'm a little biased in that I lived within walking distance of NCC. That being said, I don't really like anything about naperville except for the huge convienence factor for me personally. Basically, I am pro-SSS.

14. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Heresy

The LAKE?!?!? That's going to have to be a pretty damn tall stadium to feature a lakefront view!

15. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Heresy

I didn't say 'the lake'. It's not out of the question to see the skyline all the way to the lakefront, however, which was my point.

Borrowing liberally from this idea wouldn't be a bad move either.

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    A skyline view would be alright, but frankly, I will take a great interior stadium where all of the focus is on the game and the crowd.

The New Soldier Field is right on the lakefront, and a stones throw to downtown, and yet it has a view of neither from inside the bowl. That doesn't bother me as my focus (even at a Bears game :)) is what is going on on the field.

17. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Actually there is a good view of the skyline, just not from the lowest part of the bowl. Midlevel up on the east or south ends and it's quite nice.

And I agree. Just there will probably be an opening somewhere on the north side of the stadium if one is built in the supposed site, and I would rather it be of the skyline than the all-white back of the 'exploding scoreboard'.