FIRE Reserves Ousted From PDL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Brad Cox

Brad Cox Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elgin IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats a disapointment. We seem to always have great seasons but just can't get in the Open Cup or win the entire PDL title. Theres always next year though.

2. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Willy, why the rip on the Menace? I'm truly ignorant here. I don't grok the D-3/PDL league structure. I've thought about going to see a Menace game or two but the drive to DM is about the same as the drive to Chicago. So... why bother? :)

Just askin'

3. I started a thread on my reasons b4 the BS meltdown. It's a well known fact the Des Moines owner would love to make the jump to the A-League. The PDL is by design a league where U-23 and, or college eligible (amateur) players can get a high level of off season competition. There are limits on overage & professional players.

I've seen Des Moines play twice in person and you will have a hard time convincing me more than 2-3 players on the field were under 23 (more so last year than this). They also have a lot of players from NAIA colleges, where eligibility & ages can be dodgy at best.

I'm glad the Des Moines ownership draws a lot of fans and are planning on building a first class soccer specific facility. They should be at least a D-3 outfit (if not A-League), but there are no other teams at that level in the midwest. They must not have the balls or the bucks to step up to the A-League (not unlike the Chicago Stingers several years ago) so they hang a shingle out as a PDL side. It's easy to look good on the field when you misrepresent the level of play.

4. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    willydonc,

I taped the CFR v. CES game from cable this past Saturday. It made me feel even worse that I was never able to get to a CFR game this season. Do you happen to have a copy you could send me of this year's program - the one with us on the cover? If so, kindly PM me. Thanks!

5. Calcio Supporter

Aug 7, 2001
    The Des Moines Menace started 3 overage players (1, a local guy who coaches in their academy, another is an ass't coach of the PDL team & coaches in their academy) versus the Boulder Rapids Reserves. The played the full 5 subs, of which 1 was overage.

Three of the 16 are or were NAIA players, one overage, the other 2 U-23.

I'm not sure where your misrepresented perceptions are derived. The facts are at www.dmmenace.com

6. Your point is well taken, this year's squad has less ringers than last year. I still have a hard time believing most of the players on the field last year were U-23.

7. Calcio Supporter

Aug 7, 2001
    2001 team based on minutes played included 3 overage players, of those 3, 2 started on the 2002 team. I don't believe any of the starters were from a NAIA school.

I will conceed that the one overage player who didn't return in 2002 was VERY overage.

8. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    I don't know what the rules for PDL are, but according to the bio's posted on the Menace's web-site eight of the 26 players are 23 or older (and a couple very much older including one ex-MLS player).

9. Calcio Supporter

Aug 7, 2001
    The PDL rules are that you can have 8 overage players & at least, 3 U-19 players on your 26 man roster. Des Moines had 6 overage players, three that started & 2 that came on as subs (I did the math wrong on one of the subs in my earlier post). The 6th overage player in one of the backup keepers.