fire news 8/28

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news, Andy Herron has been called in by Costa Rica for a tournament starting this weekend.

He'll be available to play Wednesday, but then not Sunday.

3. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is great news, as far as making MLS attractive to other Costa Ricans goes. I know many Coast Rican national team players have been in MLS, however, I think this call up can be directly attribuited to to Herron's recent form. A sign just how closely the CR powers that be are following the league and even Open Cup results.

Then again, his name may have just come up, and they said, "Sure, put him on the plane.":D

4. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. greystreet15

greystreet15 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL, USA

Does anyone know if these are FIFA International Dates? If not, then why are we releasing him ?

6. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To keep him happy. A professional courtesy, if you will.
    Remeber he missed the world cup due to his MLS suspension, the least the league/team can do is let him go get some playing time for his country.

7. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Is this ture? I thought he just wasn't chosen by the old CR coach . . . I didn't league suspensions counted toward National Team matches.

8. greystreet15

greystreet15 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I think Es Brent just means indirectly, although I'm sure the Costa Rica manager most likely already had his mind made up about the roster before the 6 games Andy missed in April/May.

9. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the Sun Times, 5/20/06:

Herron's suspension, which emanated from an incident in last season's playoffs, is a sore spot with the Fire and a life-altering bad memory for Herron. He believes it cost him a spot on the Costa Rican national team for next month's World Cup finals in Germany.

"The coach told me that," Herron said. "I would not be playing games, and he needed players who would be in shape. I had to be inactive, so it kept me out of the World Cup. It's been tough for me, but I've got to take it like a man and keep going. My mind is only on the Chicago Fire right now."

10. Firefox

Firefox Member

Aug 24, 2005
    South Elgin, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are international dates. The Euro 2008 qualifiers are going on also.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

12. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "And you can take that to the bank."

13. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    That's all fine and great and everthing...except for the fact that I don't believe that too many people really care how attractive MLS is to Costa Rican players. If they can make more money here, they'll be interested.

I'm more concerned with the fact that Herron won't be around this weekend and next week.