fire news 11/9

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else see the piece ABC news did on the Fire yesterday? They showed video of the Fire practice and interviewed Chris Armas.

2. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...cs-home-utility

Did I say that I hate Mike Downey? I take that back... I´m really starting to like him. Too bad the game starts at noon.... not much time for someone to read the article, be influenced by it enough to go watch the game... but what a nice article nonetheless.

3. Downey's piece is as good as it gets from the big time scribes.

4. I was pleased as punch to open my trib today to see Downey's column pimping the fire on the front page of the sports section.

Downey and the Trib seemed to figure out what we've all been trying to say for a long time... There is a winning team here, and Chicago better start paying attention. We can't afford not to with all the other crappy teams in town.

Thanks Mike Downey and the Trib. Keep it up!

5. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Robin Robinson (Fox News) channel 3/32 was doing some interviews in Section 8 during the game.

6. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    There's an interview with Downey on chicagosports.com, check this out:

CS.com: There will be some people who will bash these sports by saying, "No one cares about these things." For example, last summer's World Cup where the American team made the quarterfinals was largely ignored by major sports sections under the justification that no one cares about it. And any major mention of it, it was usually bashed. Is there too much emphasis on the NBA, the NFL and baseball in sports sections?

Downey: Possibly. I spent five weeks in Italy at the 1990 World Cup and covered every inch of that country covering games. To me it was just one of the great events of my life. I found out that some people back home in my office were saying, "Well, who cares about this World Cup soccer event?" And I'm laughing because it's the biggest sporting event in the world. They would come back at me and say, "Nobody I know watches soccer." And I would tell them, "Then get out more." Just because you live in a neighborhood that isn't a bunch of soccer fans. In L.A. and in Chicago, too, you have multi-cultural communities that care about nothing but soccer. You take Chicago, which has the largest Polish population in the world outside of Warsaw itself, these people care about soccer. They don't even care necessarily if Poland is good in the World Cup, but they'll be interested in how Hungary is doing, how the Czech Republic is doing, how anyone, how Brazil versus Germany is going to come out. A lot of people here, their families didn't grow up with baseball, basketball, football. And in sports departments, sometimes the people who occupy sports departments grew up only caring about those games and they have to get over it.

7. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    E-mail the tribune and thank them.

Call Downey and invite him out Friday.

Heck, e-mail all the columnists. The Bulls have underachieved, the Bears are awful, and the Hawks are all but dead in this town, despite their overachieving of late. Invite them out to see a winner!

8. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    It's nice to see someone paying attention. Lord knows that "Company loves Misery" at the Score with the likes of North and Rosenbloom.

9. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    no kidding. anyone have his email?

10. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I've been looking with no luck so far.

But, the other columnists generally have first initial, then last name, so I'm guessing it's mdowney@tribune.com