fire news 11/12

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Season too long? I don't think so. And attendance has been pretty good for the last few games of the season, so there is no real evidence that interest has waned because of it. Although I do agree that soccer is running up against some stiff competition right now because of football, basketball and to a lesser degree hockey, I think soccer should hold its own and keep the season this long. People are going to freeze? In late November, it will be chillier than normal, but the fans can handle it.

I think soccer has done well to steer clear of the world series. Believe me, Chicago's team is getting some coverage now because they are winning, but there is no competition form baseball. Imagine if the Fire had their run during the baseball playoffs with the Cubs this year. Would we have even seen any articles in the major papers?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My response:

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your column on the Fire today.

Jim Curtin is a fan favorite player with underground appeal. As a defender, he doesn't have the glamor of Damani Ralph, but his solid play and regular-guy attitude have endeared him to a lot of us fans.

Check out his occasional columns on the http://www.chicago-fire.com/ site if you need a pick me up sometime.

One little correction, although the Chicago Fire have been around for six seasons (since 1998), MLS has been around for eight seasons.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

4. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree. I have seen articles all across the country saying the MLS season is too long, but playoff attendance (aside from the Colorado/KC) series has been solid. I guess the ultimate factor is MLS cup. If it sells out and the TV ratings are higher than last year, I'd call the season extension a success. I'd like to see some stats on how average playoff attendance has compared to last season, and I completely expect big crowds at NSF and SJ this weekend. I though the Playoffs were better covered nationally this year than in any previous year.

I think what we see here is the American sports writer: 1. running out of ideas to jab at soccer with 2. trying to apply American sports rules/ideas to soccer.

On #2 - This is the same mistake the league made when it began. Eventually it has moved to a more european game, season and playoff and has gained fans in the process. World soccer fans are used to a long season and American sporting status quo has proven not to work with MLS.

5. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think it's too long only from the aspect of the weather. My kid froze his butt off last Sunday.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    MLS falls off EVERYONE's radar screen (except us :)) during the off-season. Why would they want to make that longer?

7. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Good. Somebody challenge him by saying the Fire could kick his ass and maybe that game in NSF could be a friendly between ManU and the Fire.

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try, if I can figure out where the hell he's going to be. He's not going to be at Nike town. I just called them.

9. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I second that. Hopefully someone has the balls to say this!

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it me, or is there a Fire Bandwagon forming amongst the press of Chicago?

'Gee, Chicago has a championship team...oh, it's soccer...well, I guess something is better than nothing. And maybe if I write about them I will be a trendsetter...'

It is possible that soccer coverage, in the world of the Chicago press, is a popular trend? Or are these guys just jumping on the fact that some team in Chicago is actually good?

11. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have the feeling that the word from the higher ups of the Chicago Press scene would like some positive news. The Fire are respected as an organization and it's a good story to tell. I also think that the 2 30K games at SF didn't hurt anything either. Bandwagon jumping it is, but I doubt it will last.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mean to sound like "Soccer coverage has arrived and is here to say," just that right now coverage of the Fire has extended beyond its usual lines and reporters and it was awful sudden. Come the offseason we won't hear from anyone other than the usuals and even they will only write once a month.

That being said, I am glad to see the press picking up on such a great situation and a great team and gettin the news out to the people of Chicago.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About a month ago, if you remember, Telander wrote an article during the WWC where he wrote: "who watches men's soccer, anyway?" I sent him a response saying that I did, and suggested him doing a column about the Fire because they're the one Chicago sports team being run the right way.

And here it is. Unfortunately, I think it's a coincidence since I don't think he ever saw my letter. :)

14. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    It is bandwagon jumping, but I'll take it.

And it's kind of obvious why it's happening...two basic reasons. One, the team is winning. Two, the other Chicago teams aren't. You can only dissect the Bears and Bulls so much, the Hawks are for all intents and purposes dead in this town, and college football has given us nothing locally.

Also don't overestimate the fact that the Bulls and Hawks were off yesterday and the Bears had their day off from practice, so there wasn't much to cover.

Even Channel 5 was at practice yesterday.

But, like I said, I'll take it.

15. Rowdies 71

Rowdies 71 New Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Oak Park
    We need to do our best to let these writers know that we appreciate and even more importantly, that there are many readers out there interested in this coverage.

I passed along and email to Christopher Malcolm and he responded quite quickly and appreciated the notice.

CCMalcolm@tribune.com

A few years of positive feedback from our community (and increased coverage, of course) can nudge this thing into a new gear.

16. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta give Telander his props, but how can you have a general purpose article on the Fire without mentioning DaMarcus?

17. Rowdies 71

Rowdies 71 New Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Oak Park
    I definitely agree with most of what you say, but I would argue the Hawks situation. They are actually a pretty good story right now. Horrible front-office, but team is playing through the drama and doing quite well. Don't look now, but they are 2nd in the Central.

However, this just strenghtens the belief that the Fire are indeed making real progress in regards to visibility. I would also dare to say that being back at NSF has provided some fuel for some of this press.

18. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    That's the Hawk's problem....nobody is looking.

Their attendance numbers are plummeting fast, they are loosing money Hannover Fist (it's always a good day when you can work in a Heavy Metal reference), and the impending lockout will likely crush them.

And I think most folks would attribute these problems at least as much to Wirtz's holy war against televising home games as anything else. I can almost see more redwings games here than I can see Blackhawk games.

19. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Exactly.

Send Telander an email of gratitude for his article.

telander@suntimes.com

The media are finally embracing a winner. Lets let them know we appreciate it and keep it up!!

20. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    alf- thanks for the link. I did just that.

21. Because, as good as DaMarcus is, he's just a part of the story of the success the team has had this season.

22. dustbin

dustbin Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Marengo, IL
    Hell, invite him out to section 8 on Friday - show him how real fans support their team.

23. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    You need to sit on the sunny east side. My kids had to take their coats off.

I'm chosing to interpret this article as a random act of interest (e.g. a positive thing).

24. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Only if Section 8 moves there.