Fire Caleb Porter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even still, I think the numbers don't tell the whole story here. Sometimes the keeper never has a chance. We seem to have an above-average percentage of goals given up where we all kind of look at the goalkeeping and go "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. That could have been better from him."

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, you also tend to liken the Crew's plight to mid-70's Bundesliga or 1980's NL Central Baseball, which is certainly more than a bit different than the bold proclamations of others round here about the Crew's standing in the league and the excuse making therein.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm under no impression that moderators of this or any forum here are required to watch other MLS matches. Furthermore, given the analysis put forth by moderators of this and other forum, I'm under the impression if they do watch other MLS matches, it's with at least one eye closed.

4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For someone who slammed absolutist or definitive statements, you are committing equally egregious generalities nonsense by not naming names.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm old--and odd, I suppose. But the All Star game I was referring to was just a few years ago--not the 1980s. And I'm an NL East (phooey on the DH!) guy--unless the Phillies suddenly moved to the Central.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean, it's no secret I think KC Bus's "analysis" leaves more than a bit to be desired. This is hardly difficult to discern if you have been following along with the conversation at all. When I call him out by name, my posts are deleted by other mods here, so maybe you should bring that up with the other mods. This also goes to a larger point again, for better (and mostly worse), the mods are largely traffic cops here and in other forums. To put any badge of authority on them in terms of them having knowledge of the league as a whole, or even the team that they are watching is foolish. The more self-aware mods recognize this and don't make false appeals to authority. The aforementioned MLS mod has never been very self-aware.

porchlight repped this.
  7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You used the plural “moderators” so I took that as you meant more than KC.

Why would being a moderator of a soccer forum be indicative of anything besides being willing to babysit posters?

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods are mostly supposed to be traffic cops. Or playground supervisors so that folks play nice. Not sure a knowledge of the subject is required. More a good temperament for this kind of thing--which I don't have, BTW. But I think our current mods do.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There have been multiple mods past, present, and future in here that have little to no understanding of the sport or subject they are moderating. It happens. The idea that Podin was "moderating" an Crew NSR politics forum is still among the most laughable assignments in the history of this god awful website. I know you are very protective of your friend hardhead. You should live out what you demand of others and name names. In my opinion hardhead has a modicum of self awareness, so you can turn off your alert siren.

I think you should be directing your question to KC Bus, who after posting such laughable analysis, was questioned by several members whether or not he actually watches other teams/matches in this league. He responded by falling back on the flex of being a moderator of an MLS General Forum means of course he does. Which, again, given his contributions to MLS discussion in this forum seems.....questionable.

10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have thought about volunteering to be a mod here. Mostly so that I can shake my guilty feelings of being a free rider after all these years. Yet, I already parent three kids. I break up enough juvenile fights that trying to moderate these age-old, you-know-what contests are nearly one of the last volunteer positions I would sign up for.

Also, I am going to come clean and confess - I am lucky if I get to watch a full Crew game. I make zero time for other MLS games. And I rely on my oldest son for league knowledge some of the time. Moreover, I have no wish to go mano-a-mano with any of you about any of those things.

I post here because no matter what life throws at me, I always come back to Crew (and here). Also, my youngest gets the vaccine tomorrow. I am triumphantly looking forward to the next chapter for my family. I can start to plan a Columbus Crew trip in the future. Tears of joy, and no words. All love, even in a Fire Porter thread

Truth. Preach it, hang.

Minnman, the_rickler and KCbus repped this.
  11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The heat is getting to us lol

[​IMG]

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure you would always be welcomed back to moderate this zoo.

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, he only did it, as I recall, so that there could be a forum for that. Otherwise there wouldn't have been one at all. No one else would touch it (and that may have been wise) as the topic tends to make Mos Eisley look like Eden in comparison.

You do have more of the temperament for it. And the wisdom not to do it.

14. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm fond of most of you in this community. I appreciate everything most things about y'all and hopefully my traffic and playground copping makes it slightly more tolerable. I'll also add that @TKyle is a reasonable man. We're lucky to have him helping me.

15. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm excited about Cucho. I watch more MLS than I probably should. Fortunately, my 3 kids like to watch MLS with me so it doesn't make me feel like such an awful dad. Porter is well past his expiration date but I'm still hopeful we can make a playoff run. And, I'm hopeful that the locker room will gel with Cucho and Zelarayan and Mensah and Nagbe as leaders despite the poor management. And, I'm still very enthusiastic about Aiden Morris's development. I think he has a lot to give in a Crew uniform and will be a MLS-starting caliber player now and for a long time to come. I blame Porter for Matan's stalled development. What a bust.

Tobias C, Paul171121 and Kyle Crew repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Gee, thanks. In response to a request for help, I volunteered.

IMO 100% of the complaints about me as a moderator were due to posts I made in a non-mod capacity and unrelated to anything I did or said as a moderator.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    See and this is where the mod as traffic cop analogy breaks down.

100% of the traffic accidents I caused were not in my role as traffic cop.

Would anyone want a traffic cop who willfully caused traffic accidents off duty? Would anyone want a traffic cop, who went online and had a following where he spoke nonsense and untruths about traffic law? Of course not.

Speaking of traffic cops, Caleb Porter would be a shitty traffic cop. He looks the part, but don't judge a book by it's cover.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That skit is the worst. I have a really awesome and dear friend who was born without ten fingers. Once we had a conversation about our mutual enjoyment of SNL, and then the convo turned towards that skit. Ugh. Not a fan.

Check out stuff like the Lucky Fin Project. Really great work and community.

19. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am absolutely baffled by this bolded part (and others but this is particularly egregious).
    "Room sucks"
    One can reasonably infer that those who maintain this position have never played the position beyond 8th grade junior high ball, much less spent a portion of their lives studying the position.

Room is nowhere near as good as we was two years ago. He has problems dealing crosses on a consistent basis. And it would seem that he has forgotten how to use his feet to control the ball this season. But to say he sucks? No sirree Bob.

His hands are excellent. His footwork is above average, and his overall positioning tends to be excellent as well.

All that being said, it would seem that his head is elsewhere this season and he's suffered from lapses in concentration.

He is not worth the #1 paid GK slot in MLS. But he's above average and better than most. When he's on his game, he's top 5 in the league. When he's off, he's just slightly better than a Mark Dougherty/Tommy Presthus journeyman MLS GK. But he's a solid starter in this league. Any other argument is laughable.

LaMacchia repped this.
  20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But but but he made a couple of mistakes and therefor he's hot flaming garbage and sux!!!!1!!

You know what really sucks? The Sportsfan mentality that anyone who is not perfect must be trash. That sucks.

21. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has directly caused us 4 points at a minimum.

His excellent hands threw the ball into our net and deflected a soft shot into the middle of the 18.

He is certainly not the same keeper we bought a few years back.

ZipSix and Kyle Crew repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sucks relative to his salary. There we go.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This describes the vast majority of MLS keepers in 26 years I’ve been watching the league. He’s a MLS keeper. He’s gonna lose the team points.

Lesser compensated managers have won with far lesser compensated keepers.

Fire Caleb Porter.

LaMacchia repped this.
  24. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this is a fair and accurate statement.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for someone with such excellent positioning and footwork, we sure have had a lot of people commenting in the last couple of seasons about goals we gave up where Room didn't even move. Someone with better positioning would be more likely to get to some of those, and someone with better footwork would be a little faster to react.

The notion that maybe his head isn't in the game is an interesting one. I can't rule that out. We've all seen that Eloy Room is capable of having big games when he's on. But that's not exactly exclusive territory for goalkeepers.

stanger repped this.