News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    LodiSoccerFan and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a single thing.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, Pulisic is showing VERY well at his club with several good appearances culminating last week with a hat trick in a starting roll and Dest has chosen the US and, if both are called and played even remotely correctly with the other players we have I doubt even Berhalter at his worst can screw it up enough to produce losses against Cuba or Canada.

Of course there are other ways he "could' screw it up but I do not think that happens and then all the Berhalter supporters will say he has "righted the ship" and that will mean we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future. He will feel vindicated and so will the top of US soccer.

All the above assumes that both Pulisic and Dest are called and played and that Berhalter does not do something to increase the chances of injury or put the team in a position where it becomes impossible to attack.

LodiSoccerFan and TOAzer repped this.
  4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    FIRE HIM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!

Pl@ymaker and Master O repped this.
  5. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything less than a win vs Canada and he should be fired

However, in terms of 2022 who wouldn’t rather travel to Toronto as opposed to San Salvador?

Tank vs Canada and they’ll likely be in the Hex.

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His Brother is full of Brotherly Love. It's too late.

7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, except the sweet sounds of "Cha-Ching" from the House of Berhalter.

8. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been about 2 years since this thread on Berhalter had any activity. It gives us a chance to look back at the assessments those of us posting made back then and re-evaluate.

Berhalter said early on that things would get better before they got worse. He was absolutely right. The question I have for everyone here: is the USMNT better now than it was two years ago? If so, what credit do you give Greg Berhalter? If not, how do you see the situation?

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter gets 0 credit IMO. Our player pool didnt improve because of him. He continues to call up the same Mediocre players.

SCSAutism, wrench and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The World is a difference place than it was two years ago.

To me the Ocho is what I will judge him on. We look good in Qualifying then people should just shut up about him being fired.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 The US player pool has drastically improved in 2 years... so much so, I wonder what team has ever seen a better improvement to their player pool in such a short period of time. It has to be some sort of world record.

#2 I think Berhalter has grown into the position. Let it be known, by no means, am I a Berhalter worshiper. I was ready to murder him in 2019 to just get him out of the position (hope the internet gets the humor). But Covid saved him. He basically was a rehire. Since then, he hasn’t done much wrong. Yes, he called up Lewis, but there has to be some room for grace. And I know we’ve played a bunch of scrubs, but we have annihilated those scrubs like we’ve never done before - and with our B team.

zhe fulano and largegarlic repped this.
  12. Drewberry68

Drewberry68 Red Card

Inter Miami
    United States
    Jul 4, 2021
    This is just silly and just reeks of someone who is mad that their wants haven't been fulfilled (ie Gregg being fired by now).

By my count he has given 46 players their first cap which is certainly the most ever.

Facts don't usually mesh well with the agendas of hacks.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  13. Drewberry68

Drewberry68 Red Card

Inter Miami
    United States
    Jul 4, 2021
    The issue here is that when we lose one game that didn't even eliminate us from the Nations League we get a thread like this.

Yet when we win the Nations League it doesn't go the other way. The people who hate Berhalter and want him fired still hated him and wanted him fired.

largegarlic repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Then they will continue to look like idiots if we finish top of Qualifying and just emphasize a loss here and there.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #165 Pl@ymaker, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Literally any coach with a license, could do as well as he has. His player selections and tactics, only hold the team back.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I tend to think that with the tremendous leap in quality in the last few years, and years to come, we should be looking for a much higher level of coach. I am not a GB fan. We won a pivotal game against Mexico, to my thinking, in spite of the coach. That game was won by the players. We are in immediate preparation for the WC. it may not be the best time to tinker with the coach and staff. Going forward we need to step up our game at the coaching level.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do not believe teams win in spite of coaching. Especially since most of our best opportunities came off set pieces which is something you work on mightily in training.

Going forward can be discussed in the future but I do not see higher level managers wanting to come here.
    It would be difficult to find those types who want to come here and put up with unique USA things other Federations do not have to put up with.

jaykoz3 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter is such a low level coach, that even another coach in MLS, would be better.

19. Drewberry68

Drewberry68 Red Card

Inter Miami
    United States
    Jul 4, 2021
    Ah, yes.

The dictionary definition of an unfalsifiable argument.

First, Gregg calls up the "same mediocre players" all the time.

Then when told that, no, he actually calls in more new players than any manager ever it becomes "anybody could do that!"

Then you finish with the chef's kiss of unsupported opinions by saying that his selections and tactics are holding the team back.

20. Drewberry68

Drewberry68 Red Card

Inter Miami
    United States
    Jul 4, 2021
    We lose = the coach sucks! Fire him!

We win = it's because of the players!

But when we lose it's never because of the players.

21. Drewberry68

Drewberry68 Red Card

Inter Miami
    United States
    Jul 4, 2021
    You're the kind of guy who is so incompetent and inarticulate that you never actually back up anything you say.

You just say it and we're supposed to believe it

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would like to see him actually coach in meaningful WCQing matches before I make a judgement either way.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep believing that buddy:)

24. Drewberry68

Drewberry68 Red Card

Inter Miami
    United States
    Jul 4, 2021
    I will because you'll keep doing it.

25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I like what I see so far. The win against Mexico was the type of statement regional win lacking in our program for some time and the players seem to really like playing for Berhalter. I don't have any major issues with his player selection. Of course it's an ongoing process and the World Cup will be the ultimate decider, but right now I'm fairly confident we're headed the right way.

MPNumber9 and largegarlic repped this.
  26. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    IMO, most coaches lay on a spectrum between two extremes, 1) place highest importance on winning all games (including friendlies) and 2) use friendlies and lesser tournaments to prepare for an end goal with winning a secondary goal for lesser games and especially friendlies. I believe that Berhalter has had a plan from the beginning, that he has stuck with, which lies much closer to the second than the first. At the beginning of his tenure, he had a job to completely renovate the roster (he was/is extremely important to have a great deal of young talent), install his system, get all the players playing as a cohesive unit and (probably a lot more on his list).

the real issue with all this "fire Berhalter" stuff is that it is judging based more on the other end of the spectrum rather than the side that Berhalter is working with. People are saying that he has done a better job lately as if he has changed somehow. Has he corrected errors, or is it just a different stage of his plan? I don't know....I do believe he is adjusting but I don't believe his plan was to be inflexible either.

zhe fulano repped this.