News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don’t watch MLS. How could you possibly know that?

russ and Roger Allaway repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    A majority of Morocco’s roster was not even born in Morocco. Which is interesting.
    Yep.

My position is a) Netherlands has better players AND b) we need to move on from GGG. GGG did some good things AND has pretty glaring weaknesses. I think these arguments get derailed because the GGG haters are absolute fanatics, so their arguments are terrible. So instead of having a measured discussion comparing the pros and cons of GGG, those of us at the grown up table keep having to put out fires of stupid from people who think Brooks had a role to play for us or that there’s an MLS cabal controlling everything.

gogorath, EruditeHobo, russ and 7 others repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic notes that this cup had 7 2nd cycle coaches. Belgium failed, but the rest made the 2nd round. Of the other 6, 5 won their R16, and Cisse lost to Southgate.

I find that very very surprising and very very interesting.

jaykoz3 and Fighting Illini repped this.
  4. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I honestly think it's a coincidental artifact of an increasing distance between the club and international games. The conveyor belt from the top of those domestic leagues to the national team jobs has broken down and the federations are a little scared of a managerial search.

Ultimately I just don't think the national team jobs for the top 5-6 countries are all that relevant to the USMNT one way or another, it's just kinda apples and lampshades

jaykoz3 and adam tash repped this.
  5. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Citing those stats in these articles seems like a potentially strong argument on the surface, but I don’t believe this is the best metric to use in the end. I think a better question to ask is did these second-cycle managers meet their respective federation’s expectations when all is said and done? Why? Because most of these teams have elite level talent in them and, if we are honest with ourselves, came into the tournament expecting themselves to get past the R16 regardless of manager.

My expectation for Gregg was to qualify out of the group, and he accomplished that. He deserves credit for getting our guys to play with more courage possessing the ball and for getting this program off the floor that was 2018. Winning the Nations League, and the Gold Cup are nothing to sneeze at, either. But, in light of the consistent problems we see this team have in transitioning from the middle third (where they’ve been quite good) to the final third (where they lack), and in light of the fact that possession in today’s game seems less important, I think it’s appropriate to make a hard search for another manager who may bring a fresh perspective to take help build on Gregg’s foundation. I think the problems are deeper than just lacking a classy number nine.

gjackson2207 and superdave repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You don't know what I do.

Long was never good enough for this team. The MLS crew trying to make it like he was great and that his achiles injury did him in. Never had the technical ability or mind for CB.

Watching Berhalter treating him like a team star was embarrassing. I cant imagine being dumb enough (or whatever reason to do it) to defend getting rid of Brooks and keeping Long.

adam tash repped this.
  7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    If you watch MLS, how did you not know that Long, Zimmerman, and Ferrreira struggled in the late part of this season. I would have said form but I never see anyone talk about it for MLS players. For some reason, the term isn't applied to MLS. Very weird!!!

rgli13 repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It is really just a bunch of common sense stuff that many would expect given the the way Berhalter operated. I never bought that the team culture was nearly as strong as they were trying to sell. Players know who shoukd be there and playing. They weren't and the explanations were terrible.

These are two most pertinent paragraphs. Berhalter actually said that Ream wasn't in camp because his profile didn't match how they played and then played him every minute at the WC without changing how they played.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You found it surprising and interesting that Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, England and France made it to the quarterfinals? I found it disgusting that thise guys would suggest this has anything to do Berhalter. The amount of effort those people will expend to try to convince people that Berhalter could be the right guy is crazy. Does anybody really think Tite, Santos, and Southgate met expectations?

adam tash repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. All I know is what you say you do.

wasdykec and jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Hmmmm.... did I say I dont watch MLS? I dont recall that. I definitely don't watch much.

adam tash repped this.
  12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Thank you

13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Ream himself speaking:

“I just think as a group top to bottom, management down, it was very unified," Ream said. "That what people need to see. Forget everything else.”

I’d prefer a new coach, but I respect the view of one of our longest tenured Euro players and best performers at the World Cup.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’ve gone on and on about how much you hate it and how it’s destroying US soccer. I assumed you didn’t subject yourself to such an awful experience as watching a single MLS match, let alone enough to have a meaningful opinion on the form of various players.

OK, so you watch.

Why? Seriously, why?

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Great, we have divas who are not even World Class.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Which of you clowns bought all that crap about the lockeroon?

Good to see MLS media jumping in and dragging Gio. Just another reason to hate MLS. Probably a couple to hate Berhalter. No way he is coming back.

acima and adam tash repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This whole culture narrative always rubbed me the wrong way. Trying to recreate a culture that worked with much lower profile players with this group seemed very naive to me. I cant see a high level athlete taking to how Berhalter talks about this stuff.

comoesa and adam tash repped this.
  19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    make it about the poster....not about the player, as usual

Long was benched in MLS this season...anyone who can read a boxscore knows that

and here come people like you trying to gum up the works.....

posts like yours are why this site sucx

20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's too bad we didn't see a tweet like:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Reyna. I didn't even notice until my phone notified me :cry::cry::cry::cry: HAHA.

russ, jaykoz3 and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What drugs are you on and could I get some?

He played in all but 5 games for NYRB this year.

gogorath, gomichigan24 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna is getting a paid a lot of money whether he is world class or not he's gonna expect to be treated a certain way based on how he is paid. And unlike Juventus or Chelsea...Dortmund seems to coddle it's young guys (especially the ones that will make them a profit in the future).

Egg should have kept this in house or at least until he wasn't the coach anymore.

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully this means he wont be coach anymore...

or maybe it is damage control.....trying to win the public debate about how he misused reyna

acima repped this.
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow!!! Yedlin is very on point. This is US soccer.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    WTF is wrong with you?