Fire Bag?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by joshyroundhere, Aug 23, 2002.

1. joshyroundhere

joshyroundhere New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Chicago
    Greetings all,

I had a couple questions for the more observant types (i can be a bit slow on the uptake ;) )

first, at the last home game against KC, I saw a number of people using a Chicago fire bag/knapsack thing (the style that's all the rage now, it has a shoulder strap and hangs down by your hip). It was gray/silver and I could see the Fire logo on the front. Anyway.. Where do people get these? Am I missing something at the Merch table? Or is this something for group leaders, etc.? Any insight would be helpful (even if the insight is to remove my head from my rear end).

Secondly, I feel a bit sheepish asking this. I'm a huge fan, and have been to/watched as many games as possible this year, and sitting in the bleachers in the section opposite of section 8 has left me feeling like I'm missing something in terms of atmosphere, and participation.
    Like I said, I feel silly asking this. But would a 20-year old lurker be welcomed into the insanity of section 8 if he was to just pop in?
    My other quandry with that whole situation is that (as i said) i'm 20, and thus a little anxious about going to features before/after games-are younguns like myself ok getting in there? (the thing I got goin for me is that i don't drink, so i won't have to worry about that).

again, sorry for clogging up the boards with the ramblings of a young man (with his first day off in 2 weeks).. but any insight into my questions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot,
    ~joshy

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Features is 21 plus. Bring your parents or someone who can pass as your guardian.

Everyone is welcome in section 8, as long as they are loud and wear red :)

Grey bags...haven't seen any of these before, so I can't say...I have a smallish kit bag that's dark blue that they gave away last year (or the year before?). Perhaps this is some other giveaway? I don't usually pay much attention to giveaways...

3. KLiL136

KLiL136 New Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Illinois
    I saw those bags at a local soccer shop called the soccer post. If I remember correctly they were about $20. They were a little too small for my liking though but looked very nice. And about section 8, nobody really cares if you wander in there. I am a youngin too and have never been asked to leave or not been welcomed. You just have to stand and cheer really loud.

Kris

4. Jaquie

Jaquie New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I believe the bag you are referring to are the ones they gave out to season ticket holders this year. They are really nice and I am amazed at how much you can put in them.

5. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Section 8 is "open-access" as far as the people who inhabit it go. The only discrimination might be against those who don't stand and participate.

However, with the (recent) overflow crowds, the word is that the usher-types might be a bit more observant in checking folks heading into section 8/9. That is, checking to see if they have a ticket for either of those sections. That being said, I would expect that to only be enforced prior to and at the beginning of the match. So, either come rather early and get into the north end before they get sticky, or wait until some time has passed in the match and then work your way in.

As Jeremy mentioned, Features is 21+ unless you are with family or whatever. And after the match they are extremely sticky. They card almost everyone even if you're 30-35 years old. (I guess the women like that.)

Come to the north end and be loud!

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Geez, I'm 20 and have been in Section 8 since I was 16 :) Age is not a problem. I guess you can go to Features if you find someone to go with but there are plenty of other places in town too (lot of the Ultras hang out at Jimmy's...nothing wrong with going to Chipotle or other nearby places as well...also the coaches have been known to hang out in the Borders across the street from the stadium fequently.

You might have a hard time getting into Section 8 Saturday if you do not have tickets marked as such due to the sellout (I have Sec. 101 for tomorrow myself) but what I've done before is just go in front of the large banners in front of 8 ('CHICAGO FIRE' and 'FIRE FANS') usually the bottom edges aren't secured. You can just dip underneath.

That or show up mega-early and just go in with some folks who look like they're regulars.

If you have any other questions you can send me a message (click the 'pm' button beneath my post or an email at halamadrid@ameritech.net and I'll probably be able to help.

7. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Stop by! When I get to go to the game, I always stand in Section 8. I go to the games by myself and Section 8 or 9 is the place to go. Just let loose and don't worry about what anyone is thinking. As for Features, I am fairly sure that you can go to the bar BEFORE the game with no hastles. They also serve food there. Like I said, I usually go to the game by myself and stop by Features for a couple of drinks before the game (and maybe dinner). Just stop by, and don't be intimidated. Stop by the bar (where I will be sitting) and I'll buy you a coke. Later.

8. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i'm 16, and walked right into section 8 with no problems. everyone is really cool there.

everything else i was going to say has been said.

9. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    PW said if your a regular section 8er and security won't let you in just have him called and he will let you in.

10. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    how did i miss out on this? i got my nice flex fit hat but no bag.

11. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the bags were given out to VIP season ticket holders only.

12. Jaquie

Jaquie New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I do believe you are correct, I did pick mine up in the VIP tent.

13. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bag was one of the many Fire items available at the United Soccer Boosters Convention earlier this month. It's very sharp! I'd like to see it available to the masses!

14. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like someone else said it is sold at Soccer Post in Naperville (Ogden Av) in the strip mall with a BINNY's, an Office Max and a pizza place. Didn't notice the price though. Sure if they have it other footy stores might.