Fire awards

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fire insider reports these fire players won following fire awards and will be honored 11/9.

Chris armas- honda mvp

carlos bocanegra- defender of the year

Ante razov-scoring champion

Cj brown-- USSf humanitarian of the year

2. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Just wondering, if your shift button broken?

3. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So anybody else disagree with Armas as MVP?
    I really like they guy and all,and his absence last season was sorely felt, but judging on this season... I don't know about that call.

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    MVP?

yeah, no offense to Chris, but he really didn't round into form until the last month... stronger case for MVP on our team could be made for Curtin, Razov, or (and I'm shocked to be saying this) Marsch. I'd give the nod to Curtin, though our midfield was ages better when Jesse was on the pitch...

m

5. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you've answered your own question there. The captain has to get a lot of credit for driving these guys on, especially stepping into Nowak's boots (well, armband). I wonder who the Fire players and staff would pick--the guys who feel the effects that we don't necessarily see on the play on the field, but in the results. Curtin is also a good pick, as is Ante for his maturity leading the line, and DMB for expanding his role. I mean, everybody has done a great job. Armas has been great in all the matches I've watched, and he plays a huge role in the midfield even if it can't be recorded in stats and such.

Doesn't CJ win that humanitarian award every year? Great job CJ!

6. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I have to disagree with Boca as DotY. I thought Curtin was a much better choice. He isn't the flashiest player out there, but his work ethic and knack to be in the right place to disrupt a play was a key the Fire's success this season.

Bill Q.

7. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree except that this is probably Boca's last year here for awhile. Next year will be Curtain's year for an award.

Armas deserves MVP for his leadership role. He was the glue that held the team together. Him and Jesse... it all starts there..

8. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA
    Not giving MVP to Armas would be a big injustice to what he's done for the team. The reason the Fire is where they are right now isn't becuase of Razov or Beasley, its becuase of the way our midfield, defense, and forwards have played as a whole.

if you just focus on the shape of the mids and the defense when we don't have the ball, its incredible. all 10 field players shift together, and that kind of coordination all goes back to the captain. its his job to make sure the team works as a team out there, and he's done an amazing job of it.

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Ralph for FIRE MVP. If it wasn't for those 11 goals plus the winner in the OPEN CUP game, teams would have double teamed Razov and he wouldn't have gotten his 14 goals. Ralph took the pressure off of Razov and Beasley for that matter by scoring all those goals and made the other team have to cover another scorer on the team. So I say that Ralph should have been considered for the FIRE MVP.

10. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Same could be said for Razov. Who is a veteran leader and scored more goals.