Fiorentina refused place in Serie B

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Excape Goat, Aug 1, 2002.

1. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    There must be rioting in the streets of Florence. :(

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it is the end for the club.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHAHA, that's beautiful. Serves them right.

Cecchi Gori is an ass and deserves everything he gets. It's truly a beautiful day. :D

4. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    this is very sad for a great club. where will they play? C1? C2? lower? they must be going crazy mad in Florence.

5. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    While I agree with your first statement, I truly feel sorry for the Fiorentina fans who have remained loyal and passionate over many up and down years. They devserve beter than Gori. Sad news for them, and overall bad for the league. I think the recent steps were necessary due to missmanagement over many years, so it had to happen, but it's sad that it ever had to come to this.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't feel any pity for the Fiorentina fans, as a matter of fact I find it funny. I know that Fiorentina fans would LOVE to se Juventus fall from grace like they have and they would be having celebrations in the street if it ever happened.

I have no pity for the team or for the fans.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mike, I finally figured what your avatar should be. A troll.

9. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serie A = Division 1
    Serie B = Division 2
    C1 & C2 = Division 3. However, there is a regional division in the C classification because of the vast number of teams and the lower budgets (cuts travel costs).

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serie C1 is the third division. Serie C1 is broken down into Serie C1A and Serie SC1B.

Serie C2 is broken down into Serie C2 A, B and C. C gets to B then to A, THEN it goes to Serie C1 B.

So in essense there are 7 divisions in professional soccer in Italy.

Serie A
    Serie B
    Serie C1A
    Serie C1B
    Serie C2A
    Serie C2B
    Serie C2C

Then there's Serie D which has Girone A - I, which is another 9 groups. Serie D is considered to be amatuer, much like the Conference in England.

11. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Have any of the big clubs ever fallen into Serie C? I know Lazio were quite close in the 80's. Are Genoa, Sampdoria likely to go that way?

I would like to more about Serie B especially. How big the transfers are etc.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genoa was very close to falling to Serie C.

Sampdoria actually look like they may have a chance of getting back into Serie A. They have strong financial backing now and the aim is to get the club back into the big time.

None of the "big" clubs have fallen into Serie C, but a lot of clubs that were once in Serie A have been in Serie C.

Foggia and Pisa are just two that come to mind.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got it, man winning a Scudetto is the worst thing to happen to a team in Serie A ;)

14. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually C1 and C2 are the third and fourth divisions, respectively, for professional teams in Italy. But technically, I guess they are both together considered third division, but each being a tier that teams are promoted and relegated between.

You are right about them being regional, though. C1 is split between north and south into two groups, A and B. C2 is split into three groups between north, central, and south, A, B, and C.

After C1 and C2, there is Serie D, but the teams are not fully professional. But you can move up from D to C2, and also from C2 down to D. On the SoccerAge site, it looks like they are calling Serie D "IV Division". Maybe the Italian Federation has changed the name.

The groups in C1 and C2 are reorganized every year by geography. Thus a team in central Italy may find themselves playing in a different group from year to year depending on the number of teams overall in the north or south that season.

I think what is happening to Fiorentina is horrible. It is a huge wound in the historical heritage of Italian soccer. :( Napoli also has problems with shady chairmen and is always in financial trouble, so I empathize with Fiorentina fans.

- Paul

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    divisions

Maybe he is pulling his hair out trying to understand the many divisions and subdivisions, plus financial and judicial and sportive relegations/promotions, that are part and parcel of the Italian league system.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually for those that don't know, it's Enzo Maresca making the bull horns sign after he scored an equalizer against Torino.

It caused much controversy with those pathetic Torino fans.

17. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for correcting me. I knew the second I'd submitted it that many of the Serie C intracacies were missing and that I'd WAY oversimplified.

Thanks.

18. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Fiorentina fans have just received the biggest screw-over possible (in the sports world.) For me this goes way beyond rivalries--it's a shame to see a whole city screwed over by one bloated fool who at one time though he could be the next Berlusconi. Cechi Gori could have sold the team many months ago, but it seems he decided that if he was going down, he was gonna take the ship with him.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you said it brother. I would not want to see any of the big clubs go down, not even Lazio.

Gori is a criminal and I hope he gets what he deserves.

20. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    maybe i don't get it right but if you're suggesting there's a relegation/promotion process going from C1 B to C1 A (for instance),you're wrong.
    serie C1 is divided in regional groups,as is serie C2 the best teams from each group qualify for the play-offs against teams from their own and the other groups: 4 of those will ultimately advance to serie B; same goes for serie C2,the prize being the promotion to one of the serie C1 groups

there are also play-outs to determine who's being relegated to serie C2 and amateur leagues respectively ("Campionato Nazionale Dilettanti",formerly known as serie D)

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I meant to say, was that Serie C2 goes to Serie C1, there's a playoff between the teams at the end of the season to see who's promoted.

I goofed on that one.

22. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    the title of this thread is incorrect

Fiorentina has not been refused partecipation to serie B: the football club known as Associazione Calcio Fiorentina,with its history of two scudetti,6 Coppa Italia and 1 Cup Winners' Cup,is DEAD; it doesn't exist anymore,and it will never exist again.

a new society has been founded by the mayor of Firenze called Fiorentina 1926 Florentia s.r.l. (s.r.l. = Limited) who meets the criteria to be awarded admission to either C2 (more probable) or C1 leagues IF it can collect the finance required in the next few days (August 5th or 6th the schedule for C1 and C2 will be out); we're not talking the € 22 millions hole Vittorio Cecchi Gori left behind,so it's very probable a joint-venture of florentine enterprainers will come forward and take charge of the newfound club

the new club will obviously inherit the support of Fiorentina fans,but technically it's a different being: Juventus has not only won another battle against one of its fieriest adversary,it has won the war: we're talking EXTINCTION here! ;)
    in a way it's like the new Cleveland Browns in NFL: they're the same,but they're not the same

there's a possibility of a merge with the second football club of Firenze - Rondinella - who were relegated to Campionato Nazionale Dilettanti but are expected to replace some other club in financial trouble who had the right to serie C2 championship; or maybe Firenze will enjoy its first football derby...

Sensi is pushing to let the new club join serie C1 immediatly... (we'd have a 19 teams group in that case); oh,the noble soul! :rolleyes: anything for 1 more vote...

23. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    i forgot to mention:

all players under contract with Fiorentina are now free agents: most of them are said to already have reached an agreement with other clubs
    Chiesa is expected to join Juventus,Pierini will sign for West Ham,Di Livio will wear a Roma jersey and Nuño Gomez is swinging between Sporting Club Lisboa and ? (i'm getting old...)

24. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Fiorentina Legend Antognoni: It's All Cecchi Gori's Fault

Now that Fiorentina has officially disappeared, all of the Viola's fans are wondering about the future of the team. The most famous among them is certainly former legend Giancarlo Antognoni, who spent his entire career with the Viola jersey and is considered as a symbol both of the team and of the city...

SoccerAge

Fiorentina Lose Bankruptcy Battle

Fiorentina have officially lost their battle against bankruptcy and it will now be decided which league they are to play in next season...

SoccerAge

Wow. Although you could see this coming (the club officials certainly did) I'm still in shock.