Finland Squad

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by closey, Aug 9, 2002.

1. closey

closey New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    UK
    Only can argue whether Butler should be in for Delap?

Let just hope Reid and Clinton are fit so they start......

Newsroom:
    As expected, Roy Keane was not named as one of Mick McCarthy's 25-man sqaud for the friendly against Finland in Helsinki later this month. Keane has stated since his public bust-up with the Irish manager during the preparations for the World Cup finals in Japan and Korea on the island of Saipan, which resulted in him being sent home in disgrace, that he will not play for the Republic of Ireland again until there has been a change in management.
    While there is no place in the squad for the United skipper, McCarthy has recalled several players who missed out on a place in his World Cup squad. Celtic's Colin Healy, Southampton's Rory Delap, Leeds United's Stephen McPhail and Tottenham duo Stephen Carr and Gary Doherty all return. There is also a place for Hibernian goalkeeper Nicky Colgan.
    Wimbledon striker David Connolly and Wolves winger Mark Kennedy were not considered because they are both injured. McCarthy has not yet named a captain to succeed Steven Staunton, who took over the armband following Keane's sudden departure but has now retired from international football.
    Irish squad: S Given (Newcastle Utd), D Kiely (Charlton), N Colgan (Hibernian); S Carr (Tottenham), S Finnan (Fulham), K Cunningham (Birmingham), G Kelly (Leeds Utd), A O'Brien (Newcastle), G Breen (West Ham), R Dunne (Manchester City), I Harte (Leeds Utd); J McAteer (Sunderland), M Holland (Ipswich), K Kilbane (Sunderland), S Reid (Millwall), C Healy (Celtic), M Kinsella (Charlton), L Carsley (Everton), R Delap (Southampton), Robbie Keane (Leeds Utd), C Morrison (Birmingham), D Duff (Blackburn), S McPhail (Leeds Utd), R Sadlier (Millwall), G Doherty (Tottenham).

2. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    The squad

Agreed Closey. Butler's time will come though, and it's not too far from now...

:D PP - Bring on Finland!

3. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    For the life of me I can't figure out why he'll pick someone like McPhail who hasn't played for Leeds in the premiership in two years ahead of the likes of John O'Shea, who may not be a regular but let's face it is better then the honey monster. I hope he has an excellent game though, and shows TV and Mick Mac something. Butler's time is very very soon, also, suprised Babb didn't make it, I had a funny feeling he would.

4. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Only three strikers too, unless he's planning to play Duff or Doherty there, please GOD no more Duff up front, we need him left wing.

5. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I was surprised at the inclusion of McPhail, considering that nothing much has changed since he was omitted from the friendly squads before the world cup. Maybe McCarthy's been talking to Venebles....?

Babb and Butler won't get into squads until they show their hand in the Premiership - this'll be Butler's first full season, and Babb's just come back from the continent, where McCarthy seemed to ignore him.

I'm glad that Delap made the squad, and I'd like to see him given another chance. He did well against the USA, and someone as versatile as him can come in very handy in competitive games - right-back (although we'll hardly need him there!), right midfield, central midfield, or as a target man up front - remember he got something like 15 goals for Derby a couple of seasons back. He's a bit of a change from a lot of our other midfielders as well, who are mostly about power, aggression, tenacity - box to box types. He's more skilful, and has tricks and passes that only a few others (eg Morrison, Finnan, Reid, Carr) can pull off. IMHO, it's just his lack of concentration sometimes that's kept him from becoming a regular in the squads.

6. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I hope either he or Reid now takes over as our full time right winger, though Delap seems more suited to the centre, he and Healy/Holland/Kinsella could make a good partnership in the centre, did you see one of the goes he scored for Southampton this year? Beautiful, ball came in, he kicked it up on his right and volleyed it with his left, it was sweet. Butler will have caps to his name this time next year so maybe this is a bit to soon but there is no doubt, barring injury or something serious, he'll have over 50 caps by the time he's 35, probably alot more.

I think Mick has spoken to TV and he's planning to play McPhail this year, like indicaited in my other thread. There are many similarities between McPhail and Anderton which will bode well for Stevie and his wonder season in 99/00 will stand him in good stead. Also, he's alot younger then sick note.

7. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    I think McPhail is a sensible pick.

A) Its a friendly and not the squad to face Russia.

B) As you all said a couple of weeks back, McPhail offers something different in the middle and, as a substitute, he may be Ireland's ace-up-the-sleeve.

In all, its a good squad. The oldest is McAteer, which means all have a good chance of still playing in 2 years time, while the core of the squad will be entering the peak of their careers in time for the WC qualifiers.

Delap is another good pick and probably the true beneficiary of Keane's absence. He has top-flight experience, which is what Healy still needs and can cover a few positions. Its a friendly and he has knocked on the door a few times, so give him another go now to see if he can impress.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over O'Shea and Butler not being in the senior squad. They are still raw players and need league football first. Their time will come, so there's no point rushing them up from u21s when we have players who can do the job at senior level.

Seeing as Mick doesn't believe in watching players outside of England, Babb has it all to prove. From what I hear, he'll get plenty of chances to show what he can do with the sort of season some pundits are forecasting for the Black Cats! ;)