Financial discussion part 2

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by lynne, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Really don't understand why threads that are civilly discussing the g&g situation keep being closed....threads that just repeat the g&g party line seem to stay open.

Anyway, BB says that there are Manchester locals ready to buy Utd...sounds like the problem is solved, right? How much did they offer?

2. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    How about some rules, say, no personal insults. Ok mods?

3. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    The validity of the green&gold and top-red/not a top-red has been overdone lately.

It would be nice if this thread can discuss just the financial aspect of it all.

4. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Fred Done is not really looking out for our concerns.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I was going to ask BB about the person talked about in the MEN story...he's a
    bookie, the article says. Is that an acceptable owner for a PL team?

6. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Civilly? :D

Have fun.

7. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Banner tonight at Villa

[​IMG]

8. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    How does one go about buying one of these scarves?

9. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    If the hints about the Red Knights is true, then Fred Done would be one of 50 investors. How they would run the business is anyone's guess though obviously MUST and other interested parties expect to have some say. Whether this actually happens is another matter..... IMUSA's statement about wanting 25% of the club must be to do with some sort of future share purchase as no one in their right mind would spend £100m and then give it away! Until such a purchase went through then they may allow a fans representative onto any future board of directors (I'm totally guessing about this)

I would suspect that the Red Knights, who'd be majority shareholders, would carry on letting SAF and David Gill run the club as they currently do at the moment. Fred Done just the other week spoke of how well he thought Gill was doing under what he suspects are strict financial restraints. How this would sit with some elements of the support would be interesting to say the least, as they actively hate Gill for not packing in his dream job when the takeover went through.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that include your sig/avatar? ;)

12. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    You're kidding.

Right?

13. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't personally care whether or not you change it--it certainly doesn't violate any rules that I'm aware of--but it's going to be difficult to engage in a discussion when every post you make essentially mocks the opposing side of the argument. Disagreeing with someone doesn't necessarily mean you need to deride them. Just something I thought I'd bring up, take it or leave it.

Other than that, keep it clean and we'll see how long this one can go on without the personal attacks/insults.

14. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Must you take away all the fun? :rolleyes::D Fine I'll remove the sig but the avatar stays dammit. :mad:

15. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicely tanned woman in a white t-shirt? I'll allow it.

16. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not green and gold :mad:

bite

17. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I'm sure you will.
    What was that you said there NM? Achtung, looks like someone is fomenting bad blood. What are you gonna do about it?

18. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

look again vince .....white text :cool:

19. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I didn't get the math, first off....if someone was spending £100m, and there are 50 of them, that means they're spending £5000m, which would probably be something that the Glazers would go for....but that seems a bit more than the club is worth.

My question was about Fred Done specifically, and him being a bookie. Can a bookie own the club, or is there too much of a conflict of interest there?

I don't think there are 50 people in the world who would combine to spend £1B or so, and then give MUST/IMUSA £250m of it. I suppose that the g&g fans could pay dues, and then MUST/IMUSA could use that to fund their portion of the purchase price....

20,000 people buying scarves x n = £250m => n = a lot more than the $4 that the scarf would cost.

20. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Membership prices for One United have been reduced.

20 quid for adults now (used to be 30).

21. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    You're right, my maths is off. I completely agree, they won't give a quarter of the club to the fans but they will allow them to purchase a stake (or so the current thinking goes). How long that would take I don't know, say 250,000 fans purchased £1k of shares as a guide. Some may buy more, a lot would buy less. I would think that all of the people involved would want the opportunity to take their money out at some point or at least expect some sort of return. Being fans, they'd be in it for the long haul so would probably be prepared to wait for their return, say once the debt is paid off.

They may even have years when they waive a return in exchange for a mega purchase of a player or a stadium upgrade. Sadly for the match-goers, one area where I don't think the majority will be too lenient will be the price of match tickets. They might not raise them as steeply as the current owners but I can't see them cutting them back down again (as long as that £500m needs repaying).

22. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lynne, as far as I'm aware there'd be nothing in place to prevent a bookmaker owning part or all of a football club. Well if there is, Peter Coates is breaking the rules. He owns the bet365 group as well as Stoke City.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i just want to say i really hope the Red Knights can checkmate the glazers

at least they are fans and would have good intentions. if this takeover happens it may not be the best decisions made but at least intentions would be good for the club.

i also hope that the fact the identities of all Red Knights havent been revealed is a good thing. at least as far as i know no one knows all 50

24. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC