FINALLY, I'm heading "home" !!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by galaxyfan03, Aug 4, 2002.

1. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although, I was born & raised in NY, I've always considered myself a Los Angeleno. And on Sept 3, I'll be arriving in L.A. for good. Can't wait. I've been to L.A. several times, on vacation, and it seems to get better & better every time IMO. Guess you can tell that I'm a HUGE fan of the "City of Angels."

I DO have a small dilemma that I'd like some help with. I plan on going to see the Galaxy at the RB in Sept, but I'm torn between the Quacks game on the 14 or a playoff game. Which one would have the better atmosphere????

Also, I'm staying, for the immediate future, at a residental hotel near downtown & want to know about public trans to Pasadena (I don't drive or own a car)?!

(1) Are there any buses, from downtown, that take fans to and from the RB on gameday??

(2) What about the Metro Rail?? Do they have trains that go to the RB??

(3) How about public trans to the California Brewing Co. in Alhambra?? Heard soooo much about it & would love to go.

(4) How can I get seats in the Riot Squad section at the RB??

ALL answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I'll see some of you, if not most of you, at the RB in Sept.

GO, GALAXY!!!!!!

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    galaxyfan,
    It'll be good to have you in the area. Go to the website mta.net for all information pertaining to public transit. I use public transportation a lot. It's very efficient and effective here in LA.

3. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, dawgpound2.

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But be prepared: the Men In Black come and give you a cavity search before you can post on the message boards. They could have sent Natasha Yi, at least, but NO!

6. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, now, let's not give out the secret initiations, okay? ;) If you haven't been to the LARS board, we do kid around a lot. As much as I love Natasha Yi, having her perform a cavity search would not be a pretty sight. EESH!

7. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You won't have any problems finding a bus to Pasadena. No buses to the RB but if you get to Old Town Pas, you are close enough to walk down the hill.
    The Gold Line won't be finished until June '03. Even still, the closest station will be in Old Town.
    ....Solroc9, can you help out here?
    Easiest part to solve, just call the ticket office (877) 3-GALAXY and ask for tickets in the Riot Squad section. Ryan Penderguest is the rep responsible for the section, but any one at the office can take your money. ($15 if you call....or you can buy them at the gate for $18....the RB doesn't sell out) :(

As Rok said above, check out the LARS site. Also, feel free to post a message or 3 on the boards...I'm willing to bet that there is someone coming from downtown (or the Westside) who could help with transportation.

8. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a lot for the input, PZ & roksteady. I will definitely be posting on the RS website to find out more info.

What about the game itself, in terms of atmosphere?? The Quacks on 9/14 (which, as luck would have it, is the same day as the De La Hoya-Vargas fight) or an MLS playoff game??

Guess we'll have to wait & see how the standings look by the end of August.

9. solrac9

solrac9 New Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Alhambra,CA
    methinks you must wait to see what the leader race is like in Sept to decide if you want to make the SJ match or see the fight...you definately must come out to the playoffs though...why wouldn't you be able to?
    as for CBC, there is a main bus line that has a stop one block down so that is no problem...when you get here just go online or call 1-800-commute for details....any way if your a cool guy you'll probably make a bunch of swell friends and can get rides to & from.........

10. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice, solrac9.

The reason I brought up the choice between the SJ game & the playoffs is that I'm going to be a bit busy (job-hunting) when I first get out there & may not be able to afford both games.

Therefore, it sounds like I'll wait until Sept, like you said, to see what the race is like (unfortunately, I don't think we're going to catch the Quacks, but you never know). Of course, with tix prices not "overwhelming" at $18, according to PZ, I may decide to go to both the Quacks game & a playoff game.

Unfortnately, I won't be online until I've got my own place, but I hope that doesn't leave me in a "pickle."

As far as the "cool guy" comment, I do make friends pretty easy & have been told that I'm a cool guy. I look forward to making a bunch of swell friends.

11. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

Fellow G fans, I have a question:

What's the deal with residental hotels in L.A.??

It shouldn't be difficult to reserve a room for when you arrive. It's done EVERY day in the good ol' USof A, isn't it??

Well, I just called two different residental hotels (both are just west of downtown) this afternoon!!

The first one told me that they DON'T take reservations & only accept inquiries about available rooms (which BTW are not a guarantee) on THE DAY you arrive. Which means that I'd have to call from NYC on the day I'm flying to L.A. and, hopefully, find an available room.

The second place I called went one better. They claim to be "First come, first serve" ONLY, whatever the HELL that means!! According to the person on the phone, the ONLY way to get a room is to just show up, without warning. Even then, he said if they have a room, I'd get it & if not, I'm ***** SCREWED!!!!!

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions about what I can do?? I should mention that my reasoning behind residentals is, simply put, their price range. I don't feel like "shelling" out $300 or more a week on a more traditional hotel, especially considering my "moving funds."

12. HeretiC

HeretiC New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    LA, CA
    Don't go to a residential hotel. They are commonly referred to as "Welfare Hotels". They are full of people who are having a tough time, and aren't necesarily the best place for someone from out of town. The areas just west of downtown can get a little rough, Korea Town, Pico/Union, Mid Wilshire (trust me I work there) it actually has the highest crime rate in Los Angeles. I know you're from Queens, so it might not be a big thing, but just be prepared.

13. HeretiC

HeretiC New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    LA, CA
    Have you thought about staying at a hostel? Or maybe somewhere further out from the downtown area? How much is your limit for housing for a month?

14. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I was under the impression that hostels weren't all that "safe." Plus, there's NO privacy, is there (privacy is a BIG thing with me. One MAJOR reason for my moving to L.A. is lack of privacy in NY)??

As far as my limit for a month, I'm looking in the $600-$800 range!!! Hopefully, that's not a ludicrious amount?!

Also, I am open to areas other than downtown. The reason I mention downtown is it's proximity for work purposes.

If I had my choice, I'd love to stay around Westwood, Santa Monica or West L.A. However, with my $ position, that might be asking too much.

Thanks for your suggestions & advice, HeretiC.

Do you know what hostels charge & where they're located??

15. pweakland

pweakland Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe you should just get a hotel for a few days and then rent a room from someone. i know you can get sweet hotel deals on priceline or hotwire. then maybe you can find a room to let on craigslist or something...

good luck

16. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice, pweakland.

Was actually looking in that direction!!

17. HeretiC

HeretiC New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    LA, CA
    For $600-800 a month you should be able to get something decent. Mar Vista, which is slightly better then the area you were looking at. A year ago, I subscribed to an online apartment seach service and it actually came out with a really good list of apartments, and I found my current place from that service. I'll look for the link tonight. Also take a look at www.laweekly.com they have some decent listings there as well.

18. HeretiC

HeretiC New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    LA, CA
  19. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the links & all your advice, HeretiC.

I found a couple of possiblities with the first link you gave me.

Since the second one requires a fee, I think I'll stick with the first one.

Besides, once I get to L.A., I know that there are numerous street stands with FREE residental apartment magazines they're constantly updated.

Of course, first I MUST find a job before I can even consider getting my OWN apartment.

But, again, thanks SOOOOO much for all your input, HeretiC, and hope to see you at a Galaxy game real soon (Sept 14??).

20. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    03, I've used Westside Rentals and recommend it highly. The paper and other "free" sources really only offer much more expensive possibilities. Besides, if Westside R don't find you something you take, you can get your money back. Well worth the investment.

21. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, PZ.

I'll try the link & let you know how it turns out.

22. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm relieved to say that, FINALLY, my hotel plans are complete.

I reserved a room at a Holiday Inn on Garland Ave. near downtown.

I reserved a room for $75 + tax for a total of 5 nights, which comes out to about $400. Not cheap!!

But, I had NO choice. I wanted to reserve a room at a residental but circumstances wouldn't allow it!!

Anyway, once I'm out there I'll able to find a room at a MUCH BETTER rate.

At least, my immediate lodging plans are taken care of.

One step down (hotel accomdations), two more (job & apartment) to go.

23. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NCAA FOOTBALL BARS IN L.A.????????

I know this has nothing to do with the Galaxy, MLS, or soccer in general & I thought about starting a new thread, but that would've been unnecessary.

Just wondered if anybody has a list of bars and/or restaurants in the LA Metro area that specialize in NCAA football on Saturdays???

See, I'm a HUGE Michigan fan & would love to find a spot to watch the "Big Blue" on Saturdays!!!

Besides, IMHO there's no sport (American) that comes closer to matching the passion & intensity of the "beautiful game" than NCAA football!!!!

Any & all help would be duly appreciated!!!!

24. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Re: NCAA FOOTBALL BARS IN L.A.????????

Dang. I'm just poking my nose in to see if I could see anything on the Carson webcam and whether or not "New Topic" had been resurrected.

And all of a sudden I'm inspired to get in touch with my inner research anorak:

http://www.umcommunity.com/servlet/cc_ProcServ/DBPAGE=cge&GID=00007000000931461028543544

Huskies are going to win Saturday, though.

25. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, if we are gonna talk college ball on here, I'll pipe in and give a shout out for my Alma Mater.

Go Dogs!!!!! Beat the Aztecs!!!
    [​IMG]

ESPN2 at 7 tonight. Guess what I'll be doing then. :)