Finally Andrulis Doesnt Go Soft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CREWSHADY, Aug 1, 2002.

1. CREWSHADY

CREWSHADY New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    COLUMBUS
    For the first time all season Greg actually decided to not play conservative when we were up with 10 minues to go...I mean I know our players arent the most motivated lads when it comes down to 80th+ but Andrulis usually tries to hold on to a one goal lead instea of geting the insurance goal....but last night was different............maybe he finally realized that he is about to get fired!!! Hopeully we get to see more of that before the playoffs....and even more of it once we get there.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, but he did put in Warzycha...that still seems to be a defensive move, even though he sucks at defense. Go figure.

3. CREWSHADY

CREWSHADY New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    COLUMBUS
    Yea thats true........I was so mad when I was listening to the radio and they said good ol Robbie was gettin ready to come in......he needs to retire and quit even tryin to put a kit on......just stick to an official Adrulis polo shirt and call it a career. Oh by the way Scott or Katherine does MLS shootout cover US Open matches???

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Shootout doesn't cover open cup matches...which sorta sucks. But, I'll be seeing Oasis in indy on the 7th anyway.

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't know. I remember saying numerous times, "How the hell are the Metros running circles around us when they've been down to 10 men for the last 60 minutes."j

What pissed me off is when we had possession, and were able to carry it across the midfield stripe, we did nothing to try to maintain possession. We'd take it to goal, we'd make an attacking pass instead of an easy one, we'd do everything but play smart.

Say what you want about the Rifle, but he at least was smart enough to take it to the flag in the last two minutes of the game, something that can't be said for West.

The last 10 minutes should have been played very consevatively, especially when we had possession.

6. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Finally Andrulis Doesnt Go Soft

I hate that so much. You know who I've seen do that? The US Women's National Team and the Columbus Crew. It wastes 15 maybe 20 seconds and then you give possession away, and all the while look like a complete coward and jack@ss. Do you know what really wastes time? Scoring an insurance goal. Nothing wastes time like that.

7. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I hate to disagree, but the few times that we actually did go into the corner we usually kept possesion because a metro kicked it out.

I hate the short corner but if it works to waste time, I guess I have to live with it.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    15-20 seconds...you can waste a good minute down there if done right and win a corner. Don't you remember Cobi v Portugal or Mexico just sprinting to the flag and wasting time. Yeah an insurance goal would be nice, but goin to the corner flag and wasting time is by no means an unintelligent move.

9. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    You need to know when to do this. I've seen teams (the Crew for one) do this in the 85th minute. Are they planning to keep the ball there for the rest of the game? It works when you're approaching added time, when any second wasted becomes critical.

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Re: Re: Re: Finally Andrulis Doesnt Go Soft

Yeah, and pressing for an insurance goal leads to giving up goals. There is a big difference between maintaining possession and bunkering. Bunkering sucks, maintaining possession and killing off the clock is smart.

11. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm in the minority and that it usually works, but it's untenable. I'd really like to see someone get cleaned out trying to do that, and see if they go to the corner as frequently. It's garbage, I don;t mind diving, and I don;t mind feigning injury but taking the ball to the corner flag to shield it with your body is something I can;t stand. Good tactics or not.

Dennis, thank you for distinguishing between doing this at 85 and doing it injury time. I guess I can just look away.

12. CREWSHADY

CREWSHADY New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    COLUMBUS
    Yes but normaly Andrulis starts makin defensive subs when we are up with 10 to go and he usually wants try to simply hold on to the lead rather than increase it.........and with the exception of ROBERT( who by the way is normally our first sub no matter what the score) GReg actually stayed on the attack.....now the players were not on the attack the entire last 10 mins but at lest Andrulis didnt go conservative

13. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Zipsix I take it you never saw Liverpool vs. Arsenal on the last day of the 88/89 season?

Holding it in the corner is part of the game.

14. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Crewshady, the Crew started very defensive in the second half even though they had numbers over the MetroScum. They picked it up when the game was tied as now NY/NJ was trying to salvage the point at home. As soon as West scored, we went back into the defensive shell. At times we had everyone behind the ball in our 18. Their defenders were in our half, they were getting shots and corners off. We got a couple of counters with minimal possession; that was it. In other words, Greg played it defensive and it almost cost us 2 points.

15. CREWSHADY

CREWSHADY New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    COLUMBUS
    That may be true but what I was sayin is usually no matter whether we are up 3-0 or down 3-0 our first sub isalways Robert......this time we actually mad a forward fo forward sub 1st.....