Finally an alternative to McBride

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by cvilleva, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No dice - he's cap-tied to France though Florin and Guilder were both trying to find a loophole around that to cap him.

2. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: again back to the real point

Yes those guys have more goals than Buddle, but remember he was hurt for the first part of the season. He averages a goal every other match and has one of the best strike to goals ratio in MLS. I think Buddle's play warrants serious consideration. I think he's a better player than Twellman. Of course these are just my opinions and you know what they say about opinions.

3. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    I guess we'll just have to cap Hulk Hogan.

4. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    To the "I wish Vick/Jordan, et. al., played soccer" argument.

I my job I see a lot of high school sports. Boys and girls, year round. I have seen hundreds of very good high school players never play college ball, never get offered a scholorship, never a pro contract. Despited the fact that he/she could not be stopped. Why? To many other players "that could not be stopped" at other schools, family life, attitude, size (lots of college recruters belive they can coach a good athlete to play of position, but they cant coach them to be 6'-7" or 6'-8",) The high school they attend isnt big enough or dosent have the reputation to every get a scout out to see them. on and on.

Now, ever so often you get a great player who does break in to college ball, there are about 2000 high school players that dont. But out of that 2000, kid number 1241 is good enough.

Now, If all those kids were playing soccer, then kid number 1241 who is the gifted baseball player, lets say, does not go to the next level. But kid number 852 is the great soccer player does. And he is just as great a soccer player as the other kid is a great baseball player.

We will never know they great soccer players name. But he's out there. He's 30-something or 20-something, going to college, working at the plant, in the office down the hall. But he's there. He watches college football on Saturday, takes his kids to t-ball, at the 10-year class reunion people remind him about the great catch he made in the big football game, or the basketball game that he score 27 points to win the area title, but the sad part is that he hates soccer because Jim Rome told him to and he and us will never know what could have been.

just what I think

5. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    He's also unfortunately dead. But maybe Frankenstein has an American-born Grandmother.

6. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start writing that movie script right now. It's been done for the HS level, but a WCQ might be just the ticket. Oddly, enough, featuring an English girl who saved a boys high school team - it was one of those Air Bud movies. The US women's team had a cameo appearance.

What could we call that? Hmm? Built Like Beckham?

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post might have been good with a little editing.

8. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    You can say that about almost all of my post.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone touting Buddle as McBride's replacement is missing the point. Buddle may be big, but that doesn't make him a target forward.

How often have you seen him head the ball?

10. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    His first goal of year was a header. He does not need to be as good as McBride in the air to be an effective replacement. Buddle is still a very strong guy who has excellent ball control and and can hold the ball in a tight situation.

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    a true target forward (and you don't need one to be successful) really "plays in the air". buddle doesn't. (he's still and excellent player). casey is closest to mcbride in that regard. it's not just height and size, it's the stones amd skill to do battle with your feet off the ground and an elbow (or forehead) in your chops. lot's of big guys just don't have it.