Final Analysis: NED-ESP - Webb (ENG) - Part I

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Re: Final Analysis: NED-ESP - Webb (ENG)

Great post. You described the situation with a high degree of understanding and skillfully laid out the arguments for calling the DOGSO or letting it go (either because advantage realized or contact deemed trifling and therefore not a foul).

2. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA

The first time I saw the replays, I thought Robben stepped on Casillas on purpose AND dragged his other feet across Casillas. I agree it is hard to tell for sure. It is one of those things that is very hard for the referee to feel 100% certain of, and usually goes unpunished.

3. branko97

branko97 Member

May 30, 2001
    New York City
  4. Welpe

Welpe New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An honest question here as I am still trying to understand the LOTG and interpretations:

For those of you saying that the van Bommel tackle on Iniesta should have been a send off, what leads you to say that? Is it the slide into Iniesta's planted leg?

5. DiablesRouges

DiablesRouges Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Campbell, California
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

I did feel that Iniesta deserved a yellow for simulation on Van Der Wiel's "tackle".

It was a similar play to the yellow Altidore received for his tackle on Haliche which I felt was clear simualtion despite extremely minimal contact.

This does raise the question shoul their be double yellows issued? Or is does create even more problems?

In hockey we rarely see a diving call without a matching minor for tripping.

As far as the DOGSO with Robben and Puyol what would have happened had he gone down but in a fashion which screamed embellishment? (this isn't too unreasonable as Robben does embellish quite a bit) What then?

Red for Puyol and Yellow for Robben?

6. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
  7. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007

So is this one:
    [​IMG]

This is a really crappy still from this highlight:
    http://footytu.be/v13ti

It shows the ball an instant after XA heads it and an instant before DJ kicks him. DJ is the farthest right orange blob. Notice that VanBommel is perfectly placed between Webb and the rising foot. Watch the video a couple of times and you will see that the relative paths of Van Bommel, Webb and de Jong prevent Webb from seeing the kick develop. The still shot you reference shows that Webb did have a look after contact was made--although it is deceptively static, as it is afterall a photograph.

But I would suggest that to Red Card someone, you want to see the whole play develop. And if you are partly unsighted, you will hold off on the ultimate sanction.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

The first contact was 6" up on Iniesta's shin.

One of two things are going to happen at that point.
    Either the studs released from the turf or they stick in.

If they release, Iniesta will go flying. If they stick, his leg snaps.
    Lucky for him they released.

9. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

summers - But isn't the linesman there to get a better view of it than Webb?

10. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then why give the yellow if he had no sight of it?

11. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007

Well, I am not suggesting he had no sight of it. I am suggesting he had an imperfect view of the incident as a whole. I am also suggesting that without a full view of the event, it is difficult to give the ultimate sanction. On the other hand, what he did see indicated that deJong was reckless, at the minimum.

12. summers

summers Member

Jul 14, 2007

The linesman would indeed have a better view of Puyol's arm, but since Puyol didn't grab Robben's jersey or hold him for an excessive amount of time, it would be tough for him to make a definitive call there. He might think it's a foul, but ultimately he's going to leave it up to the referee unless he's absolutely certain, because nobody wants a linesman making a call of that magnitude in the middle of the field. A linesman would be more apt to make a call if he saw a clear hand ball that the referee missed (such as if the linesman saw Thierry Henry's hand ball against Ireland) where the violation is more cut and dry and less subject to judgment. Or if the foul occurred along the sideline in front of him where it is more normal to have a linesman make a call.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've seen several Dutch posters take the exact same attitude. Namely, that they didn't play negatively, cynically, or violently, but that the whole world is against them because they were playing to win (instead of entertain.) Seeing this quote from a top official in the Dutch federation explains, to me, where those posters got the idea. Somehow it has taken root within Holland. It's a kind of bizarre paranoia. Not to get political, but I'm vaguely aware of a rather large controversy within Holland over immigration and foreigners.

Last thought...the world wasn't exactly fawning over Holland when they lost in 2006, remember.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Robben ended up with a 1v1, and it was a pretty clean 1v1 too. So I don't think Puyol denied an OGSO. To me, it was the difference between murder and attempted murder.

But in this context, attempted murder is a tactical foul and the end result would have been the same, since Puyol was already carrying a yellow. (Right?) A 2nd yellow for a tactical foul. To me, that was the right call. I understand what you're saying, but to me, the miss was just too long after the Puyol foul to bring it back and call DOGSO.

Which brings me to my newbie question...are there any written guidelines for how long after a foul a ref can decide the advantage didn't materialize and bring the play back and give a free kick? Or is it all ITOOTR, with no roadmap.

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Sadly, I now like Webb a little less.
    Hopefully, he didn't get hurt patting himself on the back.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901&ver=us

Oh, and I love this gem:
    His failure to gain control early on appears the one criticism that most here agree with.

16. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA

*USSF disclaimer: the USSF's Advice to Referees says '2 to 3 seconds' which is quite a long time when you really think about it.

Superdave, normally I would say yes, that the referee CAN come back and caution the player for the foul after the fact.

I have been meaning to start a thread on the concept of an *attempted* tactical foul in the general Referee forum; perhaps you bringing this up will give me the needed kick in the pants. Can a player be cautioned for an attempted tactical foul that is not successful? I have heard one of the USSF's top instructors and assessors say that you cannot give a yellow card for a player who tries, unsuccessfully, to foul a player and break down the attack. In other words, the player tries to hold the opponent to slow down a promising attack, or even an obvious goalscoring opportunity, in the Robben/Puyol case. But the holding doesn't work; the attacker keeps going and the advantage is applied, and the attack plays itself out.

Very interesting concept, and I do not really have my arms around it quite yet. Just wanted to throw it out there.

17. Jabulanini

Jabulanini New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

and the line assistants? Did noy anyone see it? Were both assistants obscured by some other player? And the 4th referee?

Sorry, this can be a proof of non-guiltiness for Webb, but the overall refereeing team did not act correctly in that foul.

18. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA

Some people feel he failed to gain control early on, but there is a difference between that and feeling that he could have done more to sanction the players more strictly. I agree with the latter, but not the former.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Thank you to all the referees who posted in this thread. I've read almost every one starting well after the match was complete. I've come to better understand why some decisions were made and some were not (disclosure - I'm a Netherlands supporter who goes all the way back to 1974). By and large Webb did what he thought was in the best for the match at hand. The call on de Jong was tough not to be red, but I think after that call de Jong played well and I cannot remember him committing any major fouls. van Bommel's performance is another matter and I suspect if you tally up the fouls he would be the team leader.

As far as the yellow cards, the ones against Gio and van der Wiel were undeserved. Two others were for dissent. Each call against Heitinga were within the rules of the game but they were not deliberate injury intending fouls. van Persie's card was deserved. I think in reality the comparison of yellow cards is therefore misleading in terms of proving "thuggery" on the part of the Dutch team.

I think Webb's calls were fair through out and I don't think there was a conspiracy as some have alleged to have Spain win the match. My only questions were the apparent obstruction of Elia and the not given corner following Sneijder's free kick as both appeared to me to be mistakes.

Finally, I am relieved that the match did not go to penalties. The object is to make the best of the rare opportunities that were presented. Spain did this, Holland did not (overlooked was the shot Mathijsen botched in the first half off a free kick which could have easily been a goal).

I'm not out to provoke any arguments as the match is over, but again just to thank you for a unique perspective on some of the calls.

20. DiablesRouges

DiablesRouges Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Campbell, California
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

What's interesting is that the Dutch were in my mind equally cynical v. Brazil. They were able to create bit more agaisnt the brazilians but the Dutch save for matches against less talented/skilled foes employed a strategy of cynical play with lots of fould to disrupt play and play for counter attacks.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, go ahead and start the thread.

I started a thread a while back on a play where Ashley Cole was guarding the post on a free kick, a shot was taken, he started to put his arm up to try to block the shot then (I think) pulled it away in the nick of time. My question was, what would the call be if he clearly made solid contact with the ball, but it went in anyway? The strong consensus was, play the advantage and give the goal (duh!) and give Cole a yellow. Maybe the yellow would be for something other than a tactical foul negated by advantage, but I'm positive refs here thought he should get a yellow.

And that's why I thought the proper call here was advantage, yellow at the next dead ball to Puyol. But maybe the yellow for the Cole situation would be for USB or something else, so it's not a proper analogy for the Puyol play?

In any event, if you can't give a yellow for a failed tactical foul, then IMO Webb handled this play properly. The foul was outside the box, so no PK, and Robben got a pretty clean 1v1, so that's a better scoring opportunity than the free kick.

Of course, the counter to that is that Holland would rather have the yellow since it would be Puyol's 2nd, but I would think that a referee can't consider whether a card would be a player's second when assessing advantage. Is that correct? It's just an assumption on my part, I don't really know. And I'm not ref, just a fan.

22. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA

Right -- handling in an effort to prevent a goal, but the goal is still scored, would be a caution for unsporting behavior.

Similar but not quite the same as an unsuccessful tactical foul. Until I heard the statement from the assessor that an unsuccessful tactical foul is NOT cautionable, I felt that it WAS cautionable. And I'm still not totally on board with what I heard.

Good question. I do not recall having seen any guidance on this from FIFA or USSF.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: SFP standard for 2010 WC

No it's not.

Well, not normally anyway. Of course, like all 'rules' they're only rules if there are exceptions, like this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7-RXM5sg7k"]YouTube- John Evans Teakwondo Kick vs Didier Drogba[/ame]

In that incident Drogba was given a yellow card for 'diving' but, then again, that WAS at Old Trafford and, after all, he IS Didier Drogba... so that's alright then. Of course, some people might feel similarly towards many of the Spanish players, (for their diving, waving yellow cards and so on),.... that's it alright if they get kicked. To me this match was a perfect example of what happens if you follow THAT approach to it's logical conclusion.
    Well, that does actually raise an interesting point about refereeing, doesn't it. If each player, almost turn by turn, does ENOUGH of a foul to warrant a yellow but not a red then I don't see you have any real alternative to give them the appropriate card. In fact, in this game, as others have said, the amount of fouling DID drop off quite markedly in the second half.

Of course, there's another point I think people are forgetting. That everyone is assuming that the Dutch would have to be the ones to be hit with a straight red and, in retrospect, that would have been the appropriate course of action. As we all know EVERYTHING'S easier in retrospect. What if Webb decided that enough was enough and the next player to do what would normally be a borderline straight red challenge was going to GET a straight red card but it was, say, Puyol?

I think this is the problem Webb found. In most matches, even CL finals and so on, the players WILL respond if you start brandishing the cards. In this one, individual players did but the TEAMS didn't. They just got someone ELSE to do their fouling for them.

Regardless of how unpalatable it may be, that presents the officials with a problem.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I'd argue those instructors are mistaken.

Unsporting Behavior include:

"commits a foul for the tactical purpose of interfering with or breaking up a promising attack"

"holds an opponent for the tactical purpose of pulling the opponent away from the ball or preventing the opponent from getting to the ball"

These are situations in which a player MUST be cautioned.

Let's take the second of those. Once the tactical hold occurs, the USB occurs regardless of the success of that tactic.

Now, to the first. "Commits a foul". A foul can be either a DFK or an IFK.

DFK include:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponen
    t

IFK include:

plays in a dangerous manner

So, a player can commit a foul by attempting to kick, trip or strike an opponent. If that attempt was for a tactical reason, a caution must be issued for USB.

Likewise, playing in a dangerous manner is a foul.
    PDM is defined as "any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone"

The LotG specifically state "Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players."

So, if a player plays in a dangerous manner and does so for a tactical purpose, he must be cautioned for USB.

In the case of Puyol,
    -He grabs Robben for a tactical purpose. It doesn't matter that the grab failed to slow him down (not that I think it didn't).
    -He attempts to trip Robben for a tactical purpose. It's a foul. Doesn't matter that the trip was unsuccessful.
    -If the ref determines that the attempted tactical trip threatened to injure Robben, it's still a foul.

So, there are at least 3 justifications for a caution.

(I realize, that if you get to #2, you aren't going to get to #3 and that PDM requires that Robben be prevented from playing the ball for fear of injury (which didn't happen here). I included it to show that it CAN be a reason to caution for a tactical foul in which the contact fails to occur.)

Now, if the ref determines any of those denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity, it is a straight red.

25. prostock

prostock Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Am so sick and tired of people blaming the ref for games lost. its easier to project your insecurites on somebody else then to man up to it.

Robben's run

Robben had the option of going down. he was fouled, if he went down, it wouldve been a straight red. he went for the glory, the goal, so he went all out. He fcked up the chance. thats it. he had the advantage played. he choose NOT to go down. And dutch fans want the CALL AND THE ADVANTAGE? thats ridiculous. you get ONE. Robben choose the advantage. he fcked up. end of story.

Iniesta's story is the same when he got fouled, yet he choose to go down and get the call not the advantage. end of story.

Dont blame the ref for the missed free kick/corner in overtime, because if the ref was proper, De Jongs, -KARATE CHUCK NORRIS JACKIE CHAN JET LEE KUNG FU FIGHTING FAST AS LIGHTENING NINJA KICK- shouldve been a RED CARD. If netherlands were playing a man down, it never wouldve went to overtime. damn.

The dutch brought the dirty dirty game. look at spains previously games how many cards did they get? now look at the final? is that coincidence? No. the dutch played down and dirty and spain had to adjust. It was the dutch that mad it hard for webb, i think he did a good job just a few missed calls in a rugby game..i mean soccer. At the end of the day i believe spains bench players couldve beat netherlands starters. The better team won i wouldve been really upset if netherlands took it