Final 23 Roster for T&T

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by csctn, Feb 7, 2005.

1. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two sources with the same list so I thought a new thread would nice.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/latest_soccer_news/463498.html
    US Roster
    Goalkeepers: Kasey Keller, Marcus Hahnemann, Joe Cannon.

Defenders: Chris Albright, Gregg Berhalter. Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Jim Conrad, Cory Gibbs, Eddie Pope.

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley, Clint Dempsey, Frankie Hejduk, Eddie Lewis, Pablo Mastroeni, Clint Mathis, Ben Olsen.

Forwards: Brian Ching, Landon Donovan, Eddie Johnson, Brian McBride, Taylor Twellman, Josh Wolff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3235-2005Feb6.html
    The USSF has declined to announce the roster, but in addition to Olsen, the MLS contingent comprises former United players Eddie Pope (Salt Lake City) and Chris Albright (Los Angeles), rookie of the year Clint Dempsey (New England), former Maryland Terrapin Taylor Twellman (New England), all-star defender Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), rising star Eddie Johnson (Dallas), goalie of the year Joe Cannon (Colorado) and national team veterans Josh Wolff (Kansas City), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus), Clint Mathis (Salt Lake City), Brian Ching (San Jose) and Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado).

From Europe came goalkeepers Kasey Keller and Marcus Hahnemann; defenders Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Cory Gibbs and Gregg Berhalter; midfielders Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley and Eddie Lewis; and forward Brian McBride.

I bet ussoccer.com posts this at some point this afternoon.
    I don't think anyone can say they are upset.
    The Players site lists LD as a forward...??

My starting 11-
    Keller
    Dolo Pope Gibbs Boca
    Pablo
    DMB LD Lewis
    EJ BMB

2. InnocentBystander

InnocentBystander New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Good find. The USSF site says that 13 players flew from Carson to Miami this weekend, and, sure enough, this list has 13 MLSers. So... my hunch is the list is accurate.

Who's not been invited? Who did we think would be invited?

Casey?
    Zavagnin?

Aside from injuries (Reyna, O'Brien) and suspensions (Gooch), this list looks about as strong a team we can field.

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why you picked a final 23 roster. Only 18 can be on the game day roster. Bruce may take one or two extra in case on injuries, but there won't be 23 in Trinidad. I haven't seen anybody play since the end of the MLS season, so I have no clue on who is in peak shape. I suspect some surprises based on BA's unpredictability and a lot of unknowns.

4. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    keller
    dolo pope boca gibbs
    mastro
    beasley lewis
    donovan
    wolfe mcbride

or if a box:

keller
    dolo pope boca gibbs
    mastro olsen/lewis
    donovan beasley

wolfe mcbride

bench: ej, frankie, dempsey, hahnemann, mathis, olsen/lewis, berhalter

forza inter

5. BWogs

BWogs New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Kansas City
  6. InnocentBystander

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Is Brad so pissed at US soccer that he's playing for another country?

That's got to be a mistake on the Rover web site. USSF has already confirmed that Kasey K is coming. No way that both Brad and Kasey get the call.

7. El-Professor

El-Professor New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Gulf Plains
    What happened to that A-League fellow Arena had in camp? Did he make any kind of impression or was that just a thank you for crossing the picket lines?

8. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Ha. Yeah, a thank you for crossing the picket line.

And then all the other players thanked him for crossing the line by giving him atomic wedgies while standing in line for drills.

9. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not shocked Zavignin isnt in the camp....hes been on tryouts for several English clubs.....

my guess is that Arena will go with as many european players that he can to start, since it doesnt appear the MLS players have a full 90 in them....but we will see

10. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe friedel feels that hes not going to play in 2006 germany and doesnt believe intl duty is worth his time now....

11. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    all i want to say is, WOW !!!

12. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I like forza's box

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Man, keep those feelings to yourself in the future.....this is a family forum.

14. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    He's done with the team, way too arrogant, he doesn't want to come if he won't start ! ... i think his soccer career is on the way down right now, don't be surprised if he finds the bench soon.

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hedjuk,midfield? Waaaaahhhhh?
    So Gibbs, or Boca for LB, right? or can Berhalter fill in that position as well?

16. InnocentBystander

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Good catch on how they've listed Hejduk as a mid. Past experience says that the positions listed in the announced rosters aren't a reliable indication of the player's position on the field. But if - worse case scenario - Frankie must play, there certainly aren't too many other options for a wide right midfielder on this roster.

That's assuming of course that Bruce wants a wide right midfielder. I'm guessing Bruce will tell Landon and DeMarcus to roam freely (and link up) in the midfield. No real need for a Ralston/Chris Klein type here. But if Bruce wants speed and workrate on the right flank, he'd probably use Frankie. Who else? Olsen? Cherundolo? I don't think so. Olsen has lost a step and Steve... well... maybe Steve C.

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I do find it a bit strange that USSOCCER hasn't listed the players...what is the big deal? They even have a headline that 23 are gathering together in Miami and that Kasey will be the last to join...what's the issue?

BTW...I love the video of the training camps, pretty cool. Thanks for that.

18. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yo, TOO RIGHT

i hate having to wait till game time to see the final 18/23

thats so aggravating, this week im havin trouble findin rosters for alot of national teams actually, i hope this rediculous trend doesnt spread far

forza inter

19. DCDavid

DCDavid New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    This is random, but are Obrien and Reyna suspected to be back before 2006?

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy, will either be healthy enough to play regularly for their club, and if so, when? Take that answer and add a couple of months - just to make sure!

21. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reyna will be back by March.....Obrien probably longer, hes not scheduled to return to the Ajax first team for a while

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't JOB on the bench last night for Ajax, even though he got a DNP-CD?

23. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's a good looking top 23. We don't even miss JOB and CR. Imagine what it would be like if both those guys were healthy. Competition!

24. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Whither Mullan?

Crap... I can't believe he's not really on Da Bruce's radar. I mean, if you want workrate from the right mid spot, look no further. Did anyone see the training camp? I'd be interested in seeing how Brian M. faired.

25. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    If I am not mistaken, the actual "final" roster will be 18 players, won't it?

My guess on starting XI

Locks: Donovan, Beasley, Keller, Bocanegra

Near-locks: McBride, Mastroeni

My picks: GAM, Cherundolo, Gibbs, Pope, Dempsey

Yeah, I do think Dempsey will line up as another dmid along with Pablo. Arena really seems to like the box midfield, especially on the road.

----------Keller----------

Dolo--Pope---Gibbs--Boca

---Dempsey--Mastroeni---

----Donovan---Beasley----

----Johnson---McBride----