Filipinas Rising (The Philippines Women's Football Thread)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dernhelm, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #601 Pelefan, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    She was part of the training camp in Europe last June but did not make the final roster for the AFF Championships or even the friendlies against Ireland and Bosnia.

JanBalk repped this.
  2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #602 Pelefan, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    I don't know why she wasn't included in those rosters though. It is possible this could have been due to an injury.

She is competing against players primarily from the US though in her position on defence, many of which have played at the US NCAA division I level or with the WPSL, the second tier of Women's Soccer in the US.

JanBalk repped this.
  3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #603 Pelefan, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    Their performance on the PWNT has helped some of their players get new contracts in Europe with both Jessika Cowart and Jaclyn Sawicki getting signed this early.

Cowart will be joining Quinley Quezada(Red Star Belgrade) in Serbia with Cowart signing with the reigning Serbian champions ZFK Spartak and will have a chance to compete in the UEFA Women's Champion's League if her team wins a playoff match for a spot in the league. She played for Turkish top tier team Caykor Rizespor and WPSL side California Storm last year.

Sawicki's current club will be announced in a few days.

I think we will hear more news of new contract signings soon as well in the new season(including possibly with Sara Eggesvik if he goes thru with her plans to postpone her medical education) as the PWNT's success in Europe defeating Bosnia twice and nearly holding Ireland to a draw has focused a lot of attention on the team there.

Cowart and Sawicki helped the PWNT contain players like Milena Nikolic who has scored 25 goals in 58 matches for Bayer Leverkusen in the Frauen Bundesliga and other players on the Bosnia Herzegovina Women's National Football team some of which play in top tier leagues in Spain and Portugal.

datschge, Klingo3034 and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #604 Pelefan, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Apparently former PWNT player Jesse Shugg who is 30 y.o. now is interested in joining the PWNT again and is coming out of retirement to tryout for a club in Europe.

She has kept herself in shape(though lacking match fitness) since last playing for top tier clubs Tindastóll and Fylkir in Iceland in 2016 and 2017 and the AFC Asian Women's Cup in 2018 and then retiring. Recently she started playing again for a semi pro club in Canada early this year and is trying out for a pro club in Europe this upcoming season.

I guess if Tahnai Annis(now 33 y.o.) and Jaclyn Sawicki(now 29 y.o.) can come out of retirement in their late 20's and early 30's after being out of soccer for a few years and still make the team Jesse still can to.

Jesse like the other 2 players mentioned have experience playing for strong European clubs and if she can bring back her form can add a lot of depth to our attacking options. She has scored 3 goals in 8 caps for the PWNT in the past while playing forward.

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #605 Pelefan, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    It looks like the next friendlies are in the US against Panama and New Zealand in the next FIFA window in late August and early September.

Some new US based players are already getting invited for tryouts.

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I noticed that Graversen started in league leading IK Uppsala's win today against Ravesens IK Karlakoga 6-1. How has she has performed so far in the season?

Highlights of her game wearing #4:

https://www.sportexpressenplay.se/video/s-highlights-ravasens-ik-karlskoga-ik-uppsala-gp4qth

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It has been finally announced the club that Jaclyn Sawicki has signed on to and it is in Australia.

https://wufc.com.au/news/jaclyn-sawicki-joins-western-united

AFF Women’s Championship-winning Filipina midfielder Jaclyn Sawicki has become the second international player to join Western United’s inaugural Liberty A-League Women outfit.

The 29-year-old was a key member of the Philippines team, coached by Australian Alen Stajcic, that won the tournament for South-East Asian countries in July.

With stints in Sweden, Japan and Canada under her belt, Sawicki joins with a wealth of experience in international and domestic football.

Western United’s A-League Women Head Coach Mark Torcaso said he had been impressed by the Philippines team, with Sawicki standing out to him as a player he would love to work with.

“The development of the Phillipines team under Alen Stajcic has been incredible in the last 12 months or so, and Jaclyn has been really impressive in that period,” he said.

“We’ve certainly taken notice and identified Jaclyn as someone that will bring a lot of quality into our midfield.

“With her big-game experience and the level she’s played at overseas, she’ll be a big part of our team and I can’t wait to work with her.”

JanBalk repped this.
  8. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Awesome win for Kat Guillou and Pitea vs defending champs and league leaders Rosengard :)

Pelefan and JanBalk repped this.
  9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    And a goal too in the 2-1 win. :thumbsup:

10. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'm embarrassed that i forgot to mention that fact hahaha! But yeah, thanks @Pelefan for filling in for me :p Meanwhile in Japan, Sarina Bolden is starting for Elfen i think for the first time ever? Game will be on Youtube for international viewers :D

Pelefan and blissett repped this.
  11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    @Dernhelm

Any official confirmation on the friendlies in late August and September in the US. Some of the invites said they were told it was against New Zealand and Jamaica.

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Yup first time in Elfen starting XI :thumbsup: but she has already played in 9 matches as a sub and noted an assist all in WE League 21/22 regular season.

Dernhelm repped this.
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #614 Pelefan, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    I think Elfen only now is realizing that Sarina can score after winning the Golden Boot award at the AFF championship.

She is used to playing a more direct style(as is typical of most US trained players) than most Japanese clubs are used to so I think they underutilized her talents in the past.

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It doesn't sound like she is moving to a bigger club from that interview as she says she is comfortable playing with her 3rd division club.

It also doesn't say if she is postponing her medical education so maybe she still plans to do both while playing for the Philippine national team.

It does say she is traveling to California next week for the next Filipinas training camp in the next FIFA window.

Bonnie Lass and JanBalk repped this.
  16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Perhaps. But I think it's rather other way around. Full year of training within superior league environment made her ready to finally challange for Elfen starting XI spot.

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It is good for a US trained player to be exposed to the Japanese technical style of play and emphasis on keeping possession. I hope it will help her grow as a player.

18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Japanese style of play has no longer emphasis on possesion. Spanish has. ;)

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #619 Pelefan, Aug 20, 2022
    Many of the teams that participated in the AFF Championship had Japanese coaches. They still like passing the ball in their way to goal rather than directly going to goal one on one like Sarina would do. She is very athletic and physical and the AFF teams had a hard time keeping up with her. Her height also gave her an advantage in terms of headers.

And in the AFC Asian Cup you can see the emphasis the Japanese had in trying to win the possession battle in midfield. They have always had a reputation for their technical style of play and that hasn't changed at all in my opinion thru the years.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #620 Pelefan, Aug 20, 2022
    Actually I meant New Zealand and Panama was mentioned by one of the invites not Jamaica. My bad.

Jamaica is scheduled to come to the Philippines in November instead along with Uzbekistan acc. to news reports in a series of home games for the Philippines while they play 2 away games in the October FIFA Window in Costa Rica.

blissett repped this.
  21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Fil Am Maya Doms of Stanford U just scored a goal against defending Asian Cup champion China 1-0 in a friendly, which might be the only game China have lost in in their current tour in the US.

The former US youth women's national team player should consider playing for the Philippines considering she even didn't make the final roster for the U23 USWNT in a series of friendlies earlier this year.

Aside from Maya, Stanford U actually has 2 other Fil Am players on their team who are eligible to play for the Philippines.

xyz1000 and JanBalk repped this.
  22. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    She's a great player and we would be blessed to have her, but I'm going out on a limb here and predict she won't be joining the Philippines. She's poised to have a breakout year, on the Mac Hermann watch list. Unfortunately the better she does in college, the more her US stock goes up. Not the other way around. She's still in the US system.

23. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #623 Pelefan, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    I agree. As a graduating senior, she is projected to rank high in the upcoming NWSL pro draft. If she performs well as a pro in the NWSL or in the European pro leagues, there is a chance the USWNT will call her up.

Nevertheless the USWNT has a very deep pool. 2 other Fil Am pros in the NWSL(Ally Watt and Sam Hiatt) in their pool who were part of the 59 women provisional USWNT roster for the CONCACAF Women's Championship still have not been called up and are nowhere close to the final 23 women who make the final roster of the senior team.

With so many young good players with excellent track records in the pros joining the pool year after year, at some point some of those players might decide that their chances of making the USWNT is not that good and would be willing to consider playing for the Philippines.

Gryphons Dad repped this.
  24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Klingo3034 and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  25. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    New Zealand(ranked 22nd by FIFA) named the Fern squad that will be facing Mexico and the Philippines in early September. It looks like a very strong squad filled with pros from Europe, the US and Australia.

Ford Football Ferns squad for September window (name; club; caps/goals)

Elizabeth Anton; Perth Glory, Australia; 10/0
    Mackenzie Barry; Wellington Phoenix FC, NZ; 0/0
    CJ Bott; Leicester City, England; 34/1
    Claudia Bunge; Melbourne Victory FC, Australia; 11/0
    Olivia Chance; Celtic FC, Scotland; 32/1
    Daisy Cleverley; HB Køge, Denmark; 22/2
    Victoria Esson; Rangers FC, Scotland; 8/0
    Ally Green; Vålerenga, Norway; 1/0
    Jacqui Hand; Åland United, Finland; 8/1
    Betsy Hassett; Stjarnan, Iceland; 132/14
    Grace Jale; Canberra United, Australia; 7/2
    Anna Leat; Aston Villa FC, England; 7/0
    Annalie Longo; Christchurch United, NZ; 126/15
    Meikayla Moore; Glasgow City FC, Scotland; 55/3
    Erin Nayler; Umeå IK, Sweden; 77/0
    Gabi Rennie; Arizona State University, USA; 14/2
    Ali Riley; Angel City FC, USA; 145/1
    Indiah-Paige Riley; Fortuna Hjørring, Denmark 0/0*
    Paige Satchell; Wellington Phoenix FC, NZ; 30/2
    Malia Steinmetz; Western Sydney Wanderers, Australia; 9/0
    Kate Taylor; Wellington Phoenix FC, NZ; 2/0
    Hannah Wilkinson; Melbourne City FC, Australia; 107/27

* First Ford Football Ferns call-up

Match schedule for September FIFA window

V Mexico

2 September, 4pm KO local time/3 September, 11am KO NZT, Dignity Health Sports Park

V Philippines

6 September, 5pm KO local time/7 September, 12pm KO NZT, Titan Stadium, Cal State Fullerton

https://www.nzfootball.co.nz/newsar...fjlV8f2od4PU7JWMFRUFUfv0VvhYwnQtSp8FXmXH6Oj58

It would be nice if the Philippines also faced 35th ranked Mexico along with 22nd ranked New Zealand but acc. to invitees the other team the Philippines is facing is Panama which is ranked 57th. Hopefully that changes.