Figo's contract rumbles...

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Gonzalo, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Gonzalo

Gonzalo New Member

May 15, 2000
    London (UK)
    Luis Figo has revealed his displeasure at his contract situation in an interview with Portuguese daily A Bola. Figo wants to hear from the club by December, otherwise he will have to assume that he does not feature in their long term plans. Spanish daily Marca have asserted that the 32-year-old has an offer of a two-year contract from Manchester United.

rmnews.blogspot.com

2. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Figo keen to sort out his future at Real Madrid

LISBON, Portugal (AP) - Luis Figo says he wants to meet with Real Madrid chiefs next month and find out whether he has a long-term future at the club.

The 32-year-old midfielder, who has retired from international soccer, said in an interview published Thursday that he would like to extend his current contract but needed to know the club's plans for him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3135822

3. elmadridesta

elmadridesta New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    qatar
    Re: Figo keen to sort out his future at Real Madrid

ithink he going to stay until the end of the season because joquin isnt going to come until the end of the season or cassano in italy he plaays rigt wing atack

4. TeddyBear

TeddyBear New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Bonnie Scotland

Best players last season? Figo, Ronaldo, Casillas
    Best players this season? Figo, Casillas

Worst players (consistently starting) last season? Zidane, Raul, the defense in general

Zidane is older than Figo, yet it is Figo who is being shown the door

5. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004

Zidane will retire in madrid, and rightly so. dont knock him just becuase he has played witha dislocated shoulder the last couple of weeks. he'll come thru, its zizou were talking bout!

6. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    i hope he stays until the end of next season, he can play central, left or right so he still has a lot to offer even if joaquin goes to madrid.

7. kraayzizou

kraayzizou New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    St. Louis

I agree completely. And let's be honest, just because Zizou isn't playing like he was 2-3 years ago doesn't mean he is playing poorly. He's just not playing like he did 2-3 years ago! Take it at face value...

As for Figo, he's been phenomonal week in, week out. Even at 32 he is a player we really cannot afford to lose. I mean, think of all of the ex-Real players who came to bite us in the butt at the end of last season...just think what Figo would do if he ran up against us next year!? WE MUST EXTEND HIS CONTRACT, PERIOD.

8. #1ChinaBeckham

#1ChinaBeckham Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    CHINA
    Figo MUST GO he play so sux now. He make fear in team Real Madrid no good!! :mad:

PEREZ MUST BUY STEVEN GERRARD!!!

Xiao :p

9. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    a contract offer from man united..????? where would they play him???? i highgly doubt that united r after figo

10. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    are all chinese fans like you?

11. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One one hand I wouldn't mind Figo leaving the club at the end of the season, and getting Joaquin instead, because he is getting old (33/34 for a winger? Ancient?)

Only on the other hand the only way to tell he is getting older is by his age, because he's still one of, if not the best, players of Madrid in many games.

If he does go, there'd better be a suitable replacement.

12. Futbalfan

Futbalfan New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    New Jersey, USA

Zidane and Figo are arguably the two greatest players of their generation and without question the two greatest mid-feilders of their era. While Zidane has not been playing like the Zidane of 2001 or 2002, he is still Zidane and the skill is still there. It may be true that the shoulder has affected his overall play. He does appear a step slower and a bit out of place. The magic has not been there recently. However, I do agree that Zidane will come around. He is 32 and a player as awesome as Zidane has been throuhout his career does not just decline as rapidly as he has from one year to the next. Regardless of his recent play, Real did extend his contract. I also believe that Zizou will retire at Madrid.

Figo on the otherhand came to Real in 2000 and some would argue that for all his skill and talent, he underperformed his first two seasons at Madrid. But anyone who has consistently watched the team last season and up to this point would have a hard time arguing that he has not been Madrid's best and most consistent offensive player. Figo has not lost a step and I truly believe that he has improved his play at Madrid with age. He is in excellent physical shape; if and when he does get injured, he rarely misses more than one game. Many point to the fact that he is also 32, but putting his age aside, how many wingers in the world today can you truly say are better than Figo?
    He has 2 goals and 4 assists in 4 champions league games this season already, and is one of the only members of the team putting forth good efforts day in and day out while his team mates have been streaky at best.
    Yet for all his contributions to Real, he has been ignored by management and signing him to a short deal does not appear to be a priority for Perez. Zidane was given an extension and so was Roberto Carlos. I guess Figo is not selling enough shirts and it is time to bring in another big name with half the talent (ala Beckham).

I can't blame Figo for thinking about his future while he can still get a good deal. all I can say is that it would be a shame if Madrid did not resign Figo. He has played his heart out for Madrid since coming from Barca and if the rumors are true about United wanting to sign him, Real fans won't be happy when they are watching him tear up defences in Old Trafford with Ruud, Rooney, and his heir aparent Ronaldo.

13. totti2madrid

totti2madrid New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    FL, USA
    there are very few right wingers in the world that i would rather have right now ahead of Figo. if not for skill, then for age convenience. the 2 im talking about are Joaquin and Cristiano Ronaldo. if we cant get either one of those 2, then i see nothin wrong with giving Figo (our best player over the last calendar year) another year of two in white.

14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS wouldnt mind him. We like giving contracts to Old players :]

15. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have mixed feelings about re-signing Figo, effective as he is. And Figo has lost a step, he says so in interviews - Figo strikes me as a very intelligent guy by the way. If I am not mistaken, he has 1.5 years remaining on his contract & RM usually re-signs players at the one year out mark. So I don't like being rushed, if this report is in fact true. If I was Perez, I would wait until the summer & consider all the factors before negotiating.

16. Puskas Ljungberg

Puskas Ljungberg New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Alstorp
    There is a crazy rumour that figo will move to sweden with his swedish wife, and end his career in a swedish club, maybe malmoe FF, its not that believable but , u can always dream :rolleyes: