FIFA World Ranking

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Mar 17, 2006.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not 100% sure but I remember being satisfied it was the case on the basis of the 47% credited to both teams for a 0-0 tie and the wording from FIFA somewhere. With you doing exact calculations game by game, I guess we'll know for sure next Friday!

:)

kribi repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Late response, but here's the wording from the official PDF linked on the ranking procedure page:
    "The “actual result” value is represented by a percentage extrapolated from the goal difference of the match and the number of goals scored by the losing team. This means that the opponent is awarded the remainder of the points – except for a draw (goal difference equal to 0), when both teams receive the same number of percentage points."

kribi and kolabear repped this.
  3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ranking are up

1. Spain
    2. England +2
    3. France
    4. USA -2
    5. Germany +1
    6. Sweden -1
    7. Japan +1
    8. Netherlands -1
    9. Canada +1
    10. Brazil +1

The Mexico defeat hurt the USA a lot

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    When was the last time the USA was ranked #4?

5. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    193 teams ranked is a new record with Iraq (172nd) now joining the World Ranking. That figure could be eclipsed in June, with six more teams just one official match away from joining, namely Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, Gibraltar, Libya, and Sudan.

Kamtedrejt and blissett repped this.
  6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not enough:( Would a draw between USA and Brazil been enough to get Germany ahead of USA and Brazil ahead of Canada?:cautious:

blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    According to what @lil_one wrote in the previous page of this thread, the last time was... today.

i.e., since this is the first time, it's also currently the last time, so far. :coffee:

toad455, JanBalk and kolabear repped this.
  8. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #1684 Kamtedrejt, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    cpthomas and kolabear repped this.
  9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    In my ranking it made the USA drop from 4th to 5th

Sweden stand out as underrated to me. I have them still a comfortable 3rd.
    They have been very consistent whenever it mattered and I didn't punish them much for their Nations League campaign given that two of three losses came against what we all consider by some margin the best team in the world, right?

JanBalk repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1686 SiberianThunderT, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    Perspective: the gap between Spain and England (1v2, ~65pts) is much larger than the gap between England and Japan (2v7, ~39pts) and just a hair smaller than England to Netherlands (2v8, ~70pts)

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  11. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i learnt and finally understood something today ! :)
    I come back on the Gold Cup final, a draw USA 2 - 2 Canada where i have calculated +10,39 pts for Canada and -9,49 pts for USA, while FIFA gave respectively +5,88 pts and -4,98 pts, i didn't understand why.
    The same result occured in the SBC final, draw USA 2 - 2 Canada, and the same questions for me. So i looked for an explanation and bingo, thanks to Cambio de Juego, i found it.
    it seems that when there is a penalty shoutout after a draw, for example 2 -2 so normally a result 51% for the 2 teams, FIFA counts a flat rate of 10% points, + 10 for the winner, -10 for the looser. So the real result is 61% for USA and 41 % for canada instead of 51% both.

For an unknown reason, Fifa has not communicated on this rule. Does anyone know that, is it a new rule ?

From 3"51 on this video

PS : the last ranking, France 2nd for the first time, not sure it will last when france will meet Englang next may :unsure:

kolabear, Lechus7, JanBalk and 1 other person repped this.
  12. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And as it seems that Cambio de Juego is efficient, credible, and very responsive, no need to calculate the points yourself :thumbsup:
    Tkanks you Lechus7 for introducing us to this site

kolabear and Lechus7 repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's... wild, I've definitely never heard it communicated before. And I do believe it's new, b/c I remember doing calcs for previous tournaments where that didn't seem to be the case, i.e. draws decided by PKSO used to demonstrably just be draws in the calcs.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    US keep dropping. :coffee:

Lohmann repped this.
  15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    For the first time in their history France WNT took second place in the FIFA rankings.

blissett repped this.
  16. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    USA needs to get their act together. Lowest ranking ever. Watch them get eliminated in the first round in the Olympics.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am sure Emma Hayes will take the team to the quarter-finals at least

MiLLeNNiuM and JanBalk repped this.
  18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #1695 Lechus7, Jun 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    Yeah, It's hard to believe that USWNT will drop any points against Zambia.
    In worst case scenario win vs. Zambia alone could see them limp over to QF... while one more point vs. either Germany or Australia will most likely gurantee it.

JanBalk repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I kinda expected this, if only based on what the international calendar has done since the last ranking. Notice that the USA dropped a rank while actually gaining points for the first time in several releases. (The last time they gained points was the March 2023 release.) The issue since the last release is that the USA has only been playing friendlies at home while the teams around them have been playing home-and-away qualifying matches, letting GER pass them based largely on match weighting alone.
    Again, look at rating not ranking if you're talking about expected performance. Teams 2-6 are routinely swapping places with each other over the past few releases as they're all currently within just 35pts of each other. A team in the top six in the world is still essentially a shoe-in for getting out of the Olympic group stages, and highly likely to make the SFs especially with two top-six teams - ENG and (USA's bogey team) SWE - not even qualified, though that obviously depends on whether there are any QF pairs between top-six teams.

20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Her roster choices are screaming QF's run!!

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Spain losing to 30th ranked Czechia will cost them a few points.

blissett repped this.
  22. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    To lesser extent the same goes for Germany after a loss against Iceland.

Spain and Germany already qualified to EURO's and will play in OG starting in two weeks.
    For that reason alone I wouldn't read to much into result of those 2 matches. ;)

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1700 kolabear, Jul 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
    My back-of-the-envelope calculations show Spain (published rating 2100) dropping about 21 points against Czechia (rating 1665). Since the match was played in Czechia, the effective rating difference was 435 -100 (for the homefield advantage) = 335, which corresponds roughly to an expected win probability of (.87)

A match like this helps illustrate how tough it is for a team to reach the pinnacles of a 2100 rating or 2200 rating. Mishaps like these can happen, especially when, as @Lechus7 points out, Spain already qualified for the Euros and therefore didn't have much to gain from the match And the ratings incorporate these upsets, which then helps explain why results which may seem improbable are far from impossible and do in fact occur.

My back-of-the-envelope calculation shows Germany (published rating 2018) losing about 17 points for their loss away to Iceland (1854)

ADD - I gotta say, heck of an accomplishment for Czechia, to knock off the #1 team in the world, though, if I recall, they tied the US a few years back when the US was #1.

Win and a tie against #1 rated teams — not bad!

shlj, cpthomas, blissett and 2 others repped this.