FIFA World Ranking

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
  2. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I would have never predicted that Germany would finish last in Group B and even lose their placement match against Italy and finish 8th in the tournament. :eek: I'm not sure how heavily weighted these Algarve Cup matches will be for the FIFA rankings, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the U.S. take over the top spot when the new rankings are released.

3. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    We will see tomorrow when they publish the new rankings...

4. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    "Tusen takk" for this information jonny63. Since new FIFA rankings have come out the previous three years in mid to late March, I assumed that we would be seeing some new rankings soon, but didn't know that tomorrow will be the day. I guess we can probably count on you to post these new rankings as soon as they become available. :)

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Post Your Top 10 Predictions

Anyone have any predictions for what the new top 10 will look like tomorrow? I'm wondering if Denmark's victories over Norway and France will move them up one or perhaps even two spots. I'm wondering too how much France will move up after recording victories over Germany and Norway, but this of course also depends on what happens to North Korea and Brazil in the rankings. Have either of these two countries even played any matches in 2007 yet?

I don't really have the time right now to research the 2007 records for all of the Top 13 or so ranked countries right now, but just for fun, I will post my initial Top 10 prediction and reserve the right to do a little more research later today and revise it. ;)

1 USA
    2 Germany
    3 Norway
    4 Sweden
    5 France
    6 Denmark
    7 North Korea
    8 Brazil
    9 Japan
    10 China

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    USA seize top spot

(FIFA.com) 16 Mar 2007

USA seize top spot

7. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    New Top 10

[url='http://www.fifa.com/en/womens/statistics/index/0,1624,All-17,00.html]16 March 2007 FIFA World Ranking[/url]

Here's the new Top 10:

1 USA
    2 Germany
    3 Norway
    4 Sweden
    5 Korea DPR
    6 Denmark
    7 France
    8 Brazil
    9 Japan
    10 Canada

8. Eritrean

Eritrean New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    congratulation to ERITREAN women team for their reanking in 29 from the first time they enter the fifia women ranking

9. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Until today, I never knew there was such a country. :eek:

10. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I wouldn't have ever heard of them if my wife hadn't worked in Djibouti a couple of years ago. They beat Morocco last Saturday to record their first official international victory ever - out of a total of five matches, the last of which was played in 2004.

Good luck to Eritrea on the return match! I'm rooting for them.

11. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Congratulations to Eritrea , but something is wrong with the system when a 3-2 win against Morocco make them the second best women`s team in Africa.. ;)

12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
  13. FCMB

FCMB Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Germany lost 31 points because they won against the Netherlands and Wales, while France got 6 points for beating Greece and Slovenia. :rolleyes:

14. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Who was that moron who said USA are #1 because they played a lot of nobodies? what about Germany..

15. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
  16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Sorry, missed that :eek:

17. FCMB

FCMB Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Rankings for October 2007:

1. Germany, +1
    2. United States, -1
    3. Brazil, +5
    4. Sweden, -1
    5. Norway, -1
    6. DPR Korea, -1
    7. France
    8. Denmark, -2
    9. Canada
    10. England, +2

18. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  20. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  21. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    The USWNT is back on top of the ranking and so far I havn't hear anyone discuss the merit of they achievement... isn't it something of important.. sometime's fans discuss some threads with passion that not that note worthy and ignore those which are... before there were lively discussions going on, not anymore... today it like nobody have any imagination to come up with lively discussion.. it's like a grave yard.. silent and dead...

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    maybe because most people think these rankings mean very little. who wins the next big tournament - the olympics - is much more likely to get the discussion going.

23. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  24. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    If you have to wait for the WWC or Olympics to prove who the best team in the world it doesn't make much sense cause they come around every 4years.... what happens to the interim years.? Germany won the WWC last year and now UISA beat them out, explain your theory...

25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    FIFA's women's rankings have always been weak and not the most accurate indicator to say the least. Which is why most of us don't even bother discussing them anymore.

And yes, Germany may have won the WWC, but that doesn't gurantee them a No. 1 spot, according to FIFA. Just ask Norway ... One gold, one WWC and they've never been ranked as No. 1.